Does anyone have Windows Whistler Build 2309?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
coltonspleen

Does anyone have Windows Whistler Build 2309?

Post by coltonspleen »

I know it may be unlikely, but does anyone happen to have an iso (or have stumbled across one) for Windows Whistler Build 2309? Look, I know, the compilation date's all messed up, & it's part of a range of builds that never existed in the 1st place.

MacTaylor

Re: Does anyone have Windows Whistler Build 2309?

Post by MacTaylor »

Are you sure? I never heard Whistler Build2309!

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

This was a fake build of Whistler. It happens to have a page up on betawiki. Here's the link: http://betawiki.net/index.php?title=Win ... 9:prebeta2

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

As you said, this build is not leaked (if it even exists at all which it likely doesn't), and all the screenshots online are fakes. The compile date is October 47, 2000 at 12:79 PM which is nonsense.

coltonspleen

Post by coltonspleen »

Which if it WAS real, then it would actually be compiled on November 16, 2000 at 1:19 PM.
Here's how I figured this out:
Since October 47th-31st=an extra 16 days, I applied these to the next month.
Foe the time issue: Since 60 minutes=1 hour, 79 minutes=1:19. You apply this to 12:79 by converting the first 60 minutes to 1 hour, then applying that to the hour portion. Then keep the extra 19 minutes at the minute portion.
That's the way I would give the compilation date some actual sense.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

coltonspleen wrote:Which if it WAS real, then it would actually be compiled on November 16, 2000 at 1:19 PM.
Here's how I figured this out:
Since October 47th-31st=an extra 16 days, I applied these to the next month.
Foe the time issue: Since 60 minutes=1 hour, 79 minutes=1:19. You apply this to 12:79 by converting the first 60 minutes to 1 hour, then applying that to the hour portion. Then keep the extra 19 minutes at the minute portion.
That's the way I would give the compilation date some actual sense.
No, it doesn't make sense because the person who put together the fake screenshot was a complete tool who didn't know the first thing about what he was trying to fake. Going to such lengths to explain nonsense is just irrational.

Though there have been one or two times Microsoft have utterly screwed the build system to the extent that there are legit builds out there with impossible dates/times.

classiconthebox

Post by classiconthebox »

I'm pretty sure Whistler 23xx wasn't compiled.

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

In early 2000s there was stricter requirements in Microsoft of naming builds. They didn't skipped build numbers as the do today. So Whistler 2309 was compiled for testing in lab. But was never released to public or beta testers. All screenshots are fake so it's nearly impossible to find this build on unless someone from MS would leak it for us.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

haroldas.velioniskis wrote:They didn't skipped build numbers as the do today.
hahhahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahah.

Microsoft went from 2296 to 2410 (114 builds) in 45 days (33 week days). Previously they had been compiling at most one build per week day.

Is it your contention that for one eager month, Microsoft were compiling 2-3 builds every day including working weekends? or perhaps 3-4 builds every week day?

That would be particularly impressive, considering Paul Thurrott quoted Mark Lucovsky as saying that a full compile of Server 2003 took around 12 hours, and that this figure had remained pretty consistent over the years for a full NT build.

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

hounsell wrote:
haroldas.velioniskis wrote:They didn't skipped build numbers as the do today.
hahhahahahahahahahahhhahahahahahah.

Microsoft went from 2296 to 2410 (114 builds) in 45 days (33 week days). Previously they had been compiling at most one build per week day.

Is it your contention that for one eager month, Microsoft were compiling 2-3 builds every day including working weekends? or perhaps 3-4 builds every week day?

That would be particularly impressive, considering Paul Thurrott quoted Mark Lucovsky as saying that a full compile of Server 2003 took around 12 hours, and that this figure had remained pretty consistent over the years for a full NT build.
Microsoft used their own source versioning system, which makes a fresh build every night (tst,fre,chk).
Also the build number changed even ANY change submitted to the server.
And as far as I know from November 2000 untill March 2001 they really compiled 6 to 8 builds every day

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

6-8 every the they couldnt
Just watch youtube documentary on whistler compilewithin ms
Devs themself said they let it compile and they go home till it finishes
next day

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Roo_the_Vickty wrote:6-8 every the they couldnt
Just watch youtube documentary on whistler compilewithin ms
Devs themself said they let it compile and they go home till it finishes
next day
The video is just short clip to promote upcomming version of XP. They compiled so much builds, because Microsoft was planning to release Windows XP to RTM in April 2001. So they worked very hard. But release date was delayed to October 2001

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

There is evidence for a build 2400.1:
https://buildfeed.net/build/fa9809f9-1d ... 43e96069d/
Compiled October 22, 2000 and from Lab01_N. 2296.1 is from October 24th and is main.
I'm surprised nobody pointed this out.