Old Games

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
nathanze

Old Games

Post by nathanze »

Hey guys

Just wanted to let you peeps know in advance that I am going to be uploading 3 games to the FTP server. These are:

Quake 2
Tony hawk pro skater 2
Tony hawk pro skater 3

Expect these to be uploaded within the next 24 hours :)

Thanks

Nathan

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Re: Old Games

Post by LEOTCK »

What's the point of uploading quake 2? I thought this was about betas etc unless it's a beta/

Also what ftp server do you mean? You shouldn't have access to the betaarchive ftp unless your name says so...
my main project, pls read latest news

https://www.moddb.com/mods/unreal-psx-r ... e-of-jrath

nathanze

Post by nathanze »

LEOTCK wrote:What's the point of uploading quake 2? I thought this was about betas etc unless it's a beta/

Also what ftp server do you mean? You shouldn't have access to the betaarchive ftp unless your name says so...
The public FTP server to gain access to the main server. also I have permission from the admin :)

ThePagel

Post by ThePagel »

LEOTCK wrote:What's the point of uploading quake 2? I thought this was about betas etc unless it's a beta/

You should probably read the contribution rules before you act like you know what you're talking about.

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

ThePagel wrote:

You should probably read the contribution rules before you act like you know what you're talking about.
Me? What are you talking about? I hope that was directed to him.

ThePagel

Post by ThePagel »

LEOTCK wrote:
ThePagel wrote:

I understand you are from a time when you didn't need to contribute to get on the ftp so you get a pass but you should keep up with the rules if you're going to call people out. http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=33507

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

ThePagel wrote:
LEOTCK wrote:
ThePagel wrote:

I understand you are from a time when you didn't need to contribute to get on the ftp so you get a pass but you should keep up with the rules if you're going to call people out. http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=33507
OKay now you're really [censored] me off. I didn't contribute anything? Look at the Unreal Developement thread.

I am the reason those things are out there:
1. Most of the Unreal betas, including making avaiable what was once avaiable but forgotten/lost.
2. Emissary, and X-Com Alliance (in the later case not the sole reason).
3. Playstation Unreal, though not the psx hardware version.
4. Other developement materials related to those games(including The Circle) and the UC alpha too via proxy.

Now I see that there are also non beta games out there on the ftp. But I never bothered to take a look and I don't really see a reason for this...

So I repeat:

What are you talking about?

ThePagel

Post by ThePagel »

LEOTCK wrote:
ThePagel wrote:
LEOTCK wrote:
ThePagel wrote:

OKay now you're really [censored] me off. I didn't contribute anything? Look at the Unreal Developement thread.

I am the reason those things are out there:
1. Most of the Unreal betas, including making avaiable what was once avaiable but forgotten/lost.
2. Emissary, and X-Com Alliance (in the later case not the sole reason).
3. Playstation Unreal, though not the psx hardware version.
4. Other developement materials related to those games(including The Circle) and the UC alpha too via proxy.

Now I see that there are also non beta games out there on the ftp. But I never bothered to take a look and I don't really see a reason for this...

So I repeat:

What are you talking about?
What are you talking about? I never said you didn't contribute but you are from a time when you didn't need to contribute to get access to the ftp, that is exactly how I stated it (the rules where different at the time). And I'll state this again, if you're going to call people out on something you should know what your talking about. I don't want to fight with you, I'm just saying something that needs to be said.

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

Except I only got the ftp access in 2014 or so. And yes some things are new to me, but you're the one acting like boss here.

I was surprised to read someone was gonna upload quake 2 the regular game...because I don't see that every day around here. And his rank clearly didn't show he had ftp acess, leading me to be more suspicious. Instead of YOU calling me out, why didn't you simply explain?

ThePagel

Post by ThePagel »

I'm not acting like a boss... simply stating a universal truth, know what your talking about. I didn't explain it to you because you can easily find and read the rules yourself. If you go back and read the comments you will see you overreacted, that's fine but please stop trying to fight.

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

ThePagel wrote:I'm not acting like a boss... simply stating a universal truth, know what your talking about. I didn't explain it to you because you can easily find and read the rules yourself. If you go back and read the comments you will see you overreacted, that's fine but please stop trying to fight.
There's not such thing as universal truth! Only those who are ignorant say so.

ThePagel

Post by ThePagel »

LEOTCK wrote: There's not such thing as universal truth! Only those who are ignorant say so.
;)

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Wrong. Dumps from original game media have been accepted on the FTP for over a year now. See here for examples that are not betas.
LEOTCK wrote:Also [...] You shouldn't have access to the betaarchive ftp unless your name says so...
Also wrong. There's a public upload account since pretty much the dawn of BA. It shows up here if you have an account on the forum (but not if you already have full FTP access, so that might be what's confusing you)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

LEOTCK wrote: OKay now you're really [censored] me off.
ThePagel wrote:I'm not acting like a boss...
ThePagel wrote: fine but please stop trying to fight.

That time will come... one day you'll see... that we can ALL BE FRIENDS.

- Queen

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Seems some of you people here have missed what BetaArchive is about and how things work here.
  1. Yes, it's called BetaArchive but that's our legacy name, instead you should focus on the BetaArchive part. We've collected and accepted abandonware (i.e non-betas but outdated retail software) since even before I joined. I just took it up a few more notches and started to accept fully dumped and scanned titles, which include games. So yes, Quake 2 is a most valid contribution along with every other complete and non-beta retail title. So in short: we don't collect betas only.
  2. Everyone joining our community has upload access to the FTP, i.e you can upload your contribution directly to us for verification. This doesn't mean you can see, browse or download from the member FTP, for that you need an by me accepted contribution and be joined to the FTP member group. In the past all you needed were a few forum posts, but that's in the past. A lot of our members never contributed a single title and are FTP members as we don't remove those members prior to the rule change, but now all new members need to contribute. So again, in short: You do have access to the FTP, just not the part you think.
  3. The next time please keep civil in your discussions, and if any questions, misunderstandings or controversial topics should arise take it up with Andy or me. Don't let the thread which was initially about a member contribution slid off the tracks and become a pie tossing contest. That will quickly end your access to the FTP along with the membership of this community. I am not calling out any names here, but you people know who you are, and I request that you take it down a few notches, get off the computer and take a breather before you get back on because we don't tolerate that kind of behavior here.
Keep the discussions civil and in order, respect eachother and if there are any questions follow the "chain of command". Which means FTP members < Moderators < Administrators. Ask nicely and you will get nice responses back.

Now I expect members to get back on topic here. nathanze, your contributions will be accepted as abandonware titles and FTP entry titles if you follow the scanning and dumping guide and upload it to the upload account of our FTP. Once it's done I will process it in due time and get back to you if you are accepted or if I require something else of you.

Thank you.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

LEOTCK
Permanently Banned

Post by LEOTCK »

Seriously, to my defence, I wasn't the one blowing it out of proportions. I didn't insult the original poster neither did something wrong there. I posted a valid question/concern. No need for everyone to get so upset about this.

The first insult/callout was actually ThePage saying that I act like I know what I'm talking about. To me, that was entirely uncalled for...

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Either way this kind of discussion ends here. Please don't let me repeat myself...
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

RentedMule
Donator

Post by RentedMule »

An ISO of Quake2 would be nice. My original is toast and its great to play the game with the cd music