Windows 10 upgrade

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
nathanze

Windows 10 upgrade

Post by nathanze »

Hey guys

Just to get some quick numbers here, how many of you who are on 7 and 8/8.1 have chosen to upgrade to windows 10 for free and how many of you have chosen to say on your old OS and why? Please include your OS you upgraded from if you got 10 or your current OS if you didn't upgrade :)

Thanks
Nathan

ovctvct

Re: Windows 10 upgrade

Post by ovctvct »

I know it's free, but there are many claims of MS removing pirated software, spying on you,etc, so I still use 8.1, I don't like 10, it's very bloated and slow.

nathanze

Post by nathanze »

ovctvct wrote:I know it's free, but there are many claims of MS removing pirated software, spying on you,etc, so I still use 8.1, I don't like 10, it's very bloated and slow.
True true but from what I've read, windows 8/8.1 didn't receive good from the general public due to the desktop/tablet thingy.

Sorry I'm a mac user wanting to explore windows so I'm not 100% sure about all this

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

I know 8 is a hated OS mostly, but I use it daily with no issue. Plus, you can easily install ClassicShell on 8.1 to get start menu back if that's what annoys you. And IMO 10's start menu is not really a start menu anymore, formerly it was just a menu, but in 10 it's a mix of apps,tiles, etc, basically start screen transformed into start menu.

Courage

Post by Courage »

Well, I'd say opinions of it are divided, so I would suggest to try it out for yourself. In my case, it's actually faster than Windows 8 was on the same computer, and a bit less buggy as well. There are claims of MS spying on you, but you can use some tools to get rid of the affected stuff (if you wish to do so).

nathanze

Post by nathanze »

Courage wrote:Well, I'd say opinions of it are divided, so I would suggest to try it out for yourself. In my case, it's actually faster than Windows 8 was on the same computer, and a bit less buggy as well. There are claims of MS spying on you, but you can use some tools to get rid of the affected stuff (if you wish to do so).
have these spying things been proven??

What if their all made up by some random

viper
Donator

Post by viper »

Of the 22 Windows OSs I have installed I have upgraded 6 to Windows 10 for various reasons.

Of the remaining,
9 are running Windows 7
& 7 are running Windows 8.1

6 are ineligible including 1 running Enterprise
1 that was ineligible I tweaked the BIOS (NX/XD - y/n, y/n) & installed it anyways.

The Samsung Tablet is NIC in above #'s
It was also updated (to W10) using a DVD when Windows 7 broke & would no longer update.

Valerio

Post by Valerio »

Some time ago I installed Windows 10 in my notebook, and in my opinion it's potentially a good operating system. There are a lot of things I didn't like about Windows 10: first of all, about the user interface, I like the design of both taskbar and start menu, but I find horrible the titlebars of windows and the close, minimize, maximize button, they could have done these prettier. The new icons are somewhat nice, but I really hate the inconsistencies of Windows 10, such as some metro icons here, some Vista icons there, some vista elements here, some XP elements there, a new, modern and nice control panel here, and the old Vista/7 control panel there... Man, I just want Microsoft to polish things and eliminate all the unnecessary things! Apple surely did the job better with the new UI introduced with OS X Yosemite. The new browser, Edge, is good anyway, but, again, the ui is terrible and sometimes the program crashes. I like metro ui, but in some parts of the system it's done really reallyawfully. The new notification center like the Windows Phone's one is cool. Anyway, I decided to stick with Windows 7, probably because it has got everything I need, as Windows 8 or Windows 10 didn't introduce anything revolutionary thing and, expecially Windows 10, consumed a lot more RAM. So, Windows 10 is cool but it will be good once Microsoft fixed all the inconsistencies and fixed all the bugs, as Microsoft released an unfinished os in my opinion!

voidp

Post by voidp »

My laptop came installed with Windows 8 OEM.  I upgraded to 8.1 without problem.  Upgrading to Windows 10 failed.  All upgrades were made thru the Windows Store or Windows Update.

8 and 8.1 had the same 'OEM' product ID.  10 changed it to a non-OEM ID.  Microsoft support said this was the problem.  Of course, their applet advertised the upgrade to me beforehand anyway.

Roo_the_Vickty
Permanently Banned

Post by Roo_the_Vickty »

nathanze wrote:
have these spying things been proven??

What if their all made up by some random
Yes
No