LH 4008 i386 repack

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ovctvct

LH 4008 i386 repack

Post by ovctvct »

Well, I managed to repack 4008 to i386 form, despite everything else appears to work, the sidebar appears empty and right click on it does not work:

Is there any way to fix this? I might release the repack publicly if I can fix this issue.

Check out last post!
Last edited by ovctvct on Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: 4008 sidebar issue

Post by yourepicfailure »

.Net tiles weren't copied over, which is to be expected with these repacks.
Do a little research/find their location on wim-based setup and you'll have to run a $oem $ script to copy them post-setup.
Unless you get setup to load them for you.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

PivotGuy246

Post by PivotGuy246 »

Pro tip: if you can't find these tiles, go to your install.wim, select WINDOWS, then Microsoft .NET and then click on the v2.0.(random gibberish) folder and copy everything on to your newly repacked Microsoft .NET folder.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

PivotGuy246 wrote:Pro tip: if you can't find these tiles, go to your install.wim, select WINDOWS, then Microsoft .NET and then click on the v2.0.(random gibberish) folder and copy everything on to your newly repacked Microsoft .NET folder.
Did so, nothing happened. I copied the whole Microsoft.Net folder from install.wim but no change. EDIT: There is no such a folder in microsoft.net folder.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

No, it is likely the assembly folder. If so, you need to use a program other than explorer to copy it as explorer will jack it up.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Reinstalled and the issue got fixed:

It was apparently because I renamed some avalon files incorrectly when remaming long file names. I will release the repack soon, check out later.

EDIT: Here's the repack:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2CQR4 ... sp=sharing

Screenshots:

Ludacris
Donator

Re: LH 4008 i386 repack

Post by Ludacris »

Is there reason you the modified setup assets from 4074 repack instead the ones from 3xxx era?

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Why exactly use ones from 3xxx range when there's the 4074 i386 repack which I know it works?

Ludacris
Donator

Post by Ludacris »

Because those assets (colors to be exactly) do not match the builds theme. Cmback in the 400x time plex was the main theme and there is no black in plex.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Or how about not making shitty custom billboard resources and mods to begin with? Just stick with billboards from last build using those before this build's timeframe (that would be 3718's) to keep it original.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Yes, I know, I am not maxtorix, biliboards resources are all in winntbbu.dll(it's compressed, use expand to uncompress it) and they can easily be modified with resource hacker. As for the text mode setup, I edited smss.exe to make it say codename longhorn, but it can be replaced with the original one, located in the i386 folder on the WIM install(but actually usetup.exe in i386 folder is unmodified, and can replace smss.exe successfully). Note that for editing smss.exe, do NOT use resource hacker, it breaks the file, instead use PE Explorer or similar. No, it's not branded as mine at all, nor did I modify any stuff like the login screen, it's just pure 4008 repacked in i386.

Edit: Here's what happens when running winnt.exe via DOS(winnt.exe is from 4008, unmodified) - quite interesting, didn't know about it before:

It seems like this is hard coded into winnt.exe,and since winnt.exe is 16 bit it cannot be opened with reshack or PE Explorer. Only possible workaround is to use winnt.exe from XP. Out of curiosity only, I will try to install it via winnt.exe(copied from XP of course) to see if it still works.