How do you compile MSDOS 6.0

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
amjrl
Donator

How do you compile MSDOS 6.0

Post by amjrl »

Hi, How do I compile msdos 6.0, like what software to use to compile it and how to make it to a iso or img file to install. Please if anyone knows can you tell me :) thanks

yksoft1

Re: How do you compile MSDOS 6.0

Post by yksoft1 »

The leaked MS-DOS 6.0 source code package lacks many necessary files (mostly localization files) to build.
However, the toolchain to build it is included in that package.

buricco

Post by buricco »

I've coaxed bits and pieces to compile (I know qbasic builds fine). As the last poster said, certain message files are missing, so most of it won't roll out of the box.

z8coder

Post by z8coder »

Well I got almost all of it to build except for the Setup program. Is everyone here dense on the source code or what? Most all of the files that are gone are generated as it all builds. Of course I don't need the Setup program I just wanted to get all of the OS and Other Files to work. I have tested it on a machine that I had XP in and it booted to that and then I copied all the files over to the DOS directory and then I installed windows 3.1 in it and it's still running no problems.

Everything is there except the MSCDEX.exe program and that source is not in the Package anywhere. Happy hunting and pecking guys!!!

Oh by the way I started working on this about 1 week ago! Not bad EH? Curios enough while it is building the A: drive periodically comes on and then goes off
as though it were looking for something. I just stuffed a Formated disk in it in case it stuff anything on to it as I was building!

I'll give you guys all a really simple VERY LARGE CLUE as to how to do it. Think how the Build environment is constructed and works for NT 4.0 if you've done that one before.
DOS 6.0 is done the same way! Remember MS had a way to do it with DOS right? WHY WOULD THEY CHANGE THAT? It worked, the only thing to change is the ENVIRONMENT, DOS or NT!
Environment variables and all!!!! Also there were some folders missing that I found and I created them and there you go.

The way it sits in the original setup it is only going to spit out the Finished stand alone files but that's if you get past the ERROR of the .IDX on the Message files not matching in size, I did it took me only 3 minutes and I was running in the Build.

To me it was the challenge of the thing! to get the stuff figured out and working! Look I was selfish in it I've had this source code since it first got dumped onto the internet over 20, 25 years ago I just put it all aside and worked on other stuff.

FUNNY how life takes turns when it's time for crap to actually happen. So I'm retired now and this was the perfect time to do it. Besides it's the challenge, that's a lot now for me I have the DOS source DONE, and now I have a system running that and Windows 3.1 on top of it now and I have the KERNEL code ,GDI and all that source also and I am unwinding Windows 3.1 as we speak .

FUN is FUN. Very SOON none of 3.1 will be a mystery anymore! OH by the way I write in C a lot, BUT I have to admit I write A LOT more in ASM in Windows 3.1. My code is FASTER and A lot tighter and easier to read . Call me OLD fashioned I guess I am I just like the OLD stuff so I use it and make it do new things that they didn't do then or even know about then.

The only other thing that I did was to edit some stuff in a lot of files, MAKE FILE'S that were commented out and I readjusted it to not spit out IBM TYPE of CRAP. OF COURSE I could just upload the ZIP file of the whole project as I have it now and then that would take all of the FUN out of it for EVERYONE.

Look it's very simple to see IF you recognize PATTERNS , if you can't connect the two then your lost.I DID absolutely " NO NO NO PROGRAMMING AT ALL" to get this done!

So what I've just TOLD you ALL is exactly how I did it. No more no less. Concentrate on making the ERROR messages disappear, don't worry about the WARNING messages you just want it to build right? then you can TWEAK it to get A lot of them to disappear, I mean if you know anything about how Microsoft wrote a lot of their stuff they didn't make a lot of them be gone they lived with it.

I got it ALL to BUILD first then worked on what I wanted it to do for me! Look it's a very complicated BUILD I think MORE SO then NT4.0. WHY? Because they are using a Bunch of compression Decompression software that they wrote and that's in the build first OFF when the build first starts, That's the BASE for this build.

When you start the build the way it sits when your looking at it after dumping it out of the ZIP file.I've seen what it is doing as it builds. GENERATING files on the FLY so all of those files that you thought were missing their built into the build. that's the OLDEST WAY to do it.
Remember BACK then SPACE was limited, so you had to plan and be very clever about how you did things to make everything work in very tight confines.

It's taking out of a lot of APPS that it needs as it builds it and then copies that stuff to other directories, for later in the build why you might ask? well when it's all done then they build the setup program and write on the "FLY" all of the stuff for the setup to use to build the files layouts and disk arrangements. Very complicated stuff!

The way it sits then is not for it to make the whole thing someone set it up just to do ALL if the stand alone stuff for rebuilds. and they also removed a lot of lib file statements as well as include statements from a lot of the make file's .

So the OAK for it is all ready installed in the proper folders so don't bother looking for an OAK for it. that's why you see all of the make file's with the extent .oak .

When they ran the OAK to it, it copied all of the files to the correct directories, look in the first one and you'll see the .key files , that's you first clue! Right?

Another thing is watch your ERROR messages. you'll need PKLITE it uses it in the build, and in several folders
I just made another file called "CFILE.bat" that after I do a CLEAN on it for the next run I run CFILE for copying files to the needed DIRS and that finishes the setup to the build.

Very "KEY" to this is to look in the MAKE FILES and Batch files a lot of clues will be given in there! can't stress that enough. .INC and .h include files as well.ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES are VERY VERY important in any build so don't be afraid to set new ones or rename some.

A lot of the way the build does it's work is like VERSION or OS type VARIABLES None in this build that you can see if you look, at least not for a PURE MSDOS build at least.

The way I do it is if I get a lot of good stuff done I rename the main FOLDER to like DOS6-1 so it is saved . That way I can always have a fresh copy an not loose all of the work that I have done to get it to that point. And every time I move further forward with the build I do it again. ALWAYS FORWARD never BACK.

OK If anyone has any questions leave a message. I sometimes check here from time to time, I'll give some more information to help out.

Here's a like to get it if you like

https://archive.org/details/astro.7z

There's still about 3 more files to build in it for it to be complete. I'm still working on it.

I haven't told everyone what the Build instructions were yet. This is just to prove that I completed it about 98% or so I don't actually need the others as it stands