Are these Windows editions/screenshots real or fake?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Zacchi4k

Are these Windows editions/screenshots real or fake?

Post by Zacchi4k »

In one of those "Windows startup and shutdown sounds" I found these screenshots I've never seen before:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Are they real or fake?

Valerio

Re: Are these Windows editions/screenshots real or fake?

Post by Valerio »

They're fake, without any doubt. Windows Me Second Edition never existed. Windows 2001 well, it's one of the codenames of Windows XP, but that boot screen never existed, that's just the background of the start page of a Whistler build (can't remember the number) with the "Windows 2001" logo. Windows Odyssey was never compiled, was just a project for the future after the release of Neptune, but then Microsoft changed their ideas by cancelling both Neptune and Odyssey and started working on Whistler (the future XP). Windows XP MCE 2005 hasn't got that bootscreen with that green logo, it has the same bootscreen of XP Pro SP2-SP3. Microsoft Trident, well, that's the engine of Internet Explorer, so how could it be an OS? Microsoft Triton doesn't exist too, Triton was a codename for a Neptune "Service Pack" if I remember correctly. And well, Windows 2000 never had that bootscreen.
Last edited by Valerio on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

The .NET one is real though. See 5.2.36xx up to 368x or so.

Courage

Post by Courage »

The Distractor wrote:The .NET one is real though. See 5.2.36xx up to 368x or so.
Specifically, it was used from 5.2.3590 (aka Beta 3) to 5.2.3678.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

The Windows Professional Edition 2000 one is a Korean mod of Windows 2000 that used to spread amongst the community members back to the OSBA days. That's real.

.NET Server Family did exist, as Courage said. I can confirm as I had used Bobcat back in the day, and in fact it had the .NET Server Family branding.

The other ones are all fakes.

Win7

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Win7 wrote:The Windows Professional Edition 2000 one is a Korean mod of Windows 2000 that used to spread amongst the community members back to the OSBA days. That's real.
So it's not real, and just as fake as the others. All these screenshots are "real" because they were made and used somewhere, but they are all fake because they were never part of an official Microsoft compile. So no, it's not real, and it's fake, fake and nothing but fake. Except for the .net ones as mentioned above.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Not to backseat, but would it be appropriate to lock this topic? Everything that could be said has been said already.