Instructions: Google Chrome End of Support Vista/XP

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
sdfox7
Donator

Instructions: Google Chrome End of Support Vista/XP

Post by sdfox7 »

All:

Today I received a message that

This computer will soon stop receiving Google Chrome updates because Windows XP and Windows Vista will no longer be supported.

This post is not to start a flame war or to debate running an unsupported operating system; rather it explains how to continue running Google Chrome on these platforms in spite of the notification. Some of us have legitimate reasons for running these older systems, particularly in controlled environments, due to legacy hardware or legacy software dependencies. After all the US Army and US Navy still uses it.

Step 1: Right-click on the Google Chrome icon on your desktop, and select "Properties" at the bottom of the list.

Step 2: In the resulting window, select the middle tab "Shortcuts".

Step 3: On the line "Target", go to the end of the line, after the quotes press the spacebar once and then type --disable-infobars

Step 4: After entering this code, press the button at the bottom of the windows "Save".

Relaunch Chrome, the message will no longer appear.

EDIT 23:47 1/29: Edited to utilize forum uploader for images as requested by forum administrator

Last edited by sdfox7 on Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThinkPad 600E, T23, T41, T61p. ASUS X555 A12 Quad Core 16GB RAM Win10/Win7
My name is Stephen Fox. I am a '18 BBA and '20 MBA student at WCSU.
Disable Google Chrome End of Support Infobar on Windows XP/Vista

computebrute
Donator

Re: Instructions: Google Chrome End of Support Vista/XP

Post by computebrute »

This doesn't really help it to "keep running", but rather only disables the message.

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

Chrome 48 will continue to run after disabling the message. Did I make a mistake?

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

It would continue to run anyway? The only thing you're doing is disabling the notification that you're not going to get any further updates. That you're still not going to get updates is an incontrovertible fact, unaltered by your actions.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

sdfox7 wrote:Chrome 48 will continue to run after disabling the message. Did I make a mistake?
You didn't make a mistake, but once a newer version is released, the application might stop working at all on XP/Vista. Disabling a little messagebar won't fix anything then.
hounsell wrote:It would continue to run anyway? The only thing you're doing is disabling the notification that you're not going to get any further updates. That you're still not going to get updates is an incontrovertible fact, unaltered by your actions.
^

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

computebrute wrote:
sdfox7 wrote:Chrome 48 will continue to run after disabling the message. Did I make a mistake?
You didn't make a mistake, but once a newer version is released, the application might stop working at all on XP/Vista. Disabling a little messagebar won't fix anything then.
hounsell wrote:It would continue to run anyway? The only thing you're doing is disabling the notification that you're not going to get any further updates. That you're still not going to get updates is an incontrovertible fact, unaltered by your actions.
^
Google will not be distributing any new versions for XP or Vista, so the likelihood of Google Chrome breaking on these operating systems is unlikely. Google Chrome 48 or 49 will be the end of the line. Therein lies the solution after applying the --disable infobars command.
Offtopic Comment
It is rather premature/disingenuous for Google to implement these features when support doesn't end until April.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Does clicking the X need so much effort? Really. By this it seems you are disabling all infobars which is more of an overkill than anything else.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Really. "Upgrade Upgrade". No.
"Get off Vista, it's horrible". No.
"Xp is insecure. Upgrade!". No.
Give me a good reason to change.

An over-hyped, over-advertised browser drops an OS support. Boo-hoo, there are better browsers out there.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

Lukas Marsik wrote:Does clicking the X need so much effort? Really. By this it seems you are disabling all infobars which is more of an overkill than anything else.
Lucas

For some reason Google thinks it is necessary for the infobar to appear EVERY time you launch the browser. In your own words: REALLY? Seems to be a bit of overkill.

Disabling the infobar is the practical way to get rid of it once and for all.
Offtopic Comment
The infobar is a useless tool that I have never used.

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

yourepicfailure wrote:Really. "Upgrade Upgrade". No.

An over-hyped, over-advertised browser drops an OS support. Boo-hoo, there are better browsers out there.
I agree. Mozilla Firefox and Opera are two other great browsers among many.

I would still highly recommend switching to Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or any of the many other supported browsers.

While my fix turns off the message, you will NOT receive further Google Chrome updates.
Offtopic Comment
Since Microsoft will be supporting Vista for at least another year, I don't comprehend Google's reasoning for dropping support this early.

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

sdfox7 wrote:I agree. Mozilla Firefox and Opera are two other great browsers among many.

I would still highly recommend switching to Mozilla Firefox, Opera, or any of the many other supported browsers.

While my fix turns off the message, you will NOT receive further Google Chrome updates.
Offtopic Comment
Since Microsoft will be supporting Vista for at least another year, I don't comprehend Google's reasoning for dropping support this early.
Maybe it's because Windows Vista has a low market share, Considering that seems like a good reason for developers to cut Vista support. Since Vista is similar to 7, Maybe someone will find a way to get 7+ applications to work on Vista.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

MSUser2013 wrote: Since Vista is similar to 7, Maybe someone will find a way to get 7+ applications to work on Vista.
I wouldn't be surprised, since people were able to get XP+ applications running in Windows 2000, which the two are internally very similar to each other. I was able to get the latest version of Firefox running on Windows 2000 with some unofficial updates and it works perfectly.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

yourepicfailure
Donator

MSUser2013 wrote:Since Vista is similar to 7, Maybe someone will find a way to get 7+ applications to work on Vista.
It's called the Platform Update. It was designed to make a wider range of 7 APIs and features available to Vista.
As a matter of fact several programs, such as Paint and Wordpad, are updated to the 7 level.
In theory, this added with some tweaks and maybe a version change you could get some 7 "only" apps working under Vista.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

James

Post by James »

yourepicfailure wrote:Really. "Upgrade Upgrade". No.

Because there's the fundamental point of fact that by staying on these operating systems, you're neglecting the full potential of your computer, as well as opening yourself up to dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of potential security holes and exploits that Microsoft isn't going to fix. I get that it's the new hot thing right now to basically go "ew, anything after [OS] is garbage" but honestly, staying behind when you have no excuse other than "oh, I just don't like it" isn't going to win you any sympathy when something does go awry.

yourepicfailure
Donator

James wrote:Because there's the fundamental point of fact that by staying on these operating systems, you're neglecting the full potential of your computer, as well as opening yourself up to dozens, if not hundreds or thousands, of potential security holes and exploits that Microsoft isn't going to fix. I get that it's the new hot thing right now to basically go "ew, anything after [OS] is garbage" but honestly, staying behind when you have no excuse other than "oh, I just don't like it" isn't going to win you any sympathy when something does go awry.
Unless you have decent security practices. These holes and exploits are only there if you open yourself up to them. I remember back when multitudes of NT4 unfixable exploits were exposed, when it was still in support.
All Microsoft said was to take measures to prevent people from possibly exploiting them.

Using the "full" potential of your computer is largely a matter of opinion. I personally believe I'm using the full potential of my computer. It performs as I expect it to, as well as run what I need when I need it.
I don't require top-notch new features nor do I care as much about OS support. All I care is that my computer runs as I expect it to, and that requires no change.
It's not that I don't like getting new, new, new. If I believed I need DX12, or some enhanced new API's and features for an assortment of programs and actions I'll need to perform, then I'd upgrade.
But for now I have what I have, and it suits me.

PivotGuy246

Post by PivotGuy246 »

Bump, to continue that discussion.

Well eventually, the notification files are hard-coded to be exact. Because other notifications will be disabled, you will never know what notifications you will encounter because for example: When Flash Player crashes, there's no notification stating it crashed. You won't have the option to either reload the page.

That won't let you know what actually happened.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

PivotGuy246 wrote:Bump, to continue that discussion.

Well eventually, the notification files are hard-coded to be exact. Because other notifications will be disabled, you will never know what notifications you will encounter because for example: When Flash Player crashes, there's no notification stating it crashed. You won't have the option to either reload the page.

That won't let you know what actually happened.
I already mentioned this. http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 75#p407475

quailstorm

Post by quailstorm »

In case anyone still would like to install the last version of Chrome onto Windows XP or Vista, you can find it here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/l8vcl8qdihuwh/Chrome

Sadly, as far as I know Google no longer allows OldApps to keep old offline installers.
In the folder you can also find the last version for non-SSE2 CPUs, which is V34. (Athlon XP and P3)

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

And for "newer" chrome, there is "Advance Chrome" custom build: http://browser.taokaizen.com/

quailstorm

Post by quailstorm »

I added a mirror for this AdvancedChrome V54 in the above mediafire folder.
I also uploaded the last XP-Vista compatible version of Yandex browser which is Chromium based. The Russian guys wrote XP support on their own! It is Chromium 57 based. Ver 17.4.1.
https://browser.yandex.ru/blog/windows-xp

sdfox7
Donator

Post by sdfox7 »

quailstorm wrote:In case anyone still would like to install the last version of Chrome onto Windows XP or Vista, you can find it here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/l8vcl8qdihuwh/Chrome

Sadly, as far as I know Google no longer allows OldApps to keep old offline installers.
In the folder you can also find the last version for non-SSE2 CPUs, which is V34. (Athlon XP and P3)
Quailstorm

I created a page last year, with a permanent link to Chrome 49.0.2623.112 m, the last for XP. I have found that many MediaFire links don't last (they seem to expire), so I think creating my page was the next best thing.

That page has evolved over the last year, and I have added to that page, with additional current browsers for XP.

http://sdfox7.com/chromexp2.htm

quailstorm

Post by quailstorm »

Nice website, you could add the Yandex browser too.

About mediafire, I can say that it is the most consistent along with depositfiles. I never had problems, though I had with mega when I had to convert my links...
I have been a contributor for 128bit.me before and according to my experience mediafire links only go away when they get removed for piracy.

(recently I could download an abandonware Nokia SDK from depositfiles, it was a 7 years old link!!!)