Last DirectX 9 SDK for Windows 2000?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Omicron

Last DirectX 9 SDK for Windows 2000?

Post by Omicron »

I am a bit new to working with DirectX, and I will be developing a program that will use the DirectInput and DirectSound functionality of DX 9.0c. However, my goal for this program is for it to work with Windows 2000 and up via VS2010 (which seems to generate Win2000 friendly executables.)

It looks like the most recent version of the DirectX SDK offered has libraries that work with XP and upward though. Therefore, any programs compiled/linked against it will simply not run under 2000. Is just what Microsoft is saying?

The DX SDK also seems to only work with x86 and x64 (what the libraries were compiled for.) Was there ever a DirectX SDK version that can support IA64 as well?

Thanks, and sorry for the almost trivial sounding nature of this question (I am fairly new to this.)

MSUser2013
Donator

Re: Last DirectX 9 SDK for Windows 2000?

Post by MSUser2013 »

Try any DirectX SDK from June 2010 or earlier. I believe anything from that time period would be old enough to work. By searching for "DirectX SDK 2010" you can find a Softpedia Link.
Omicron wrote:Was there ever a DirectX SDK version that can support IA64 as well?
Not that I'm aware of, Considering IA64 was never meant for gaming or game development.

Omicron

Post by Omicron »

MSUser2013 wrote:Try any DirectX SDK from June 2010 or earlier. I believe anything from that time period would be old enough to work. By searching for "DirectX SDK 2010" you can find a Softpedia Link.
Omicron wrote:Was there ever a DirectX SDK version that can support IA64 as well?
Not that I'm aware of, Considering IA64 was never meant for gaming or game development.
I did encounter one from 2009 that seems to mention 2000 as well, so I might give that a try as it is available right from Microsoft. On the other hand, I might just wind up using VS6 and its Windows SDK, and combine it with the 8.1b SDK.

I do know that Itanium 2 systems do have at least some form of Direct3D support. There were a few systems (HP ZX6000?) that came with FireGL cards and were intended to be used as a workstation. Direct3D may be part of the Platform SDK though for those OSes (2008 R2, 2008, and 2003.)

These are odd questions, but I am looking into making a light weight (yet still functional) VOIP program as an open source alternative to Ventrilo. I'm looking into Vent 2.3 functionality (with some differentiation for more modern features) while making it capable of running on Windows 2000 and above. Two of the main "enhancements" though would be IPv6 support, and usage of the Opus codec (with discrete server driven codec quality levels like Vent has.)

It seems like I should be able to use VS6/C++, Win32 for most of the core elements like GUI, the Windows 2000 includes for IPv6 support (which seem to work with VS6,) DirectSound for input/output, DirectInput for PTT, and Opus for encoding/decoding. I will figure out public/private key encryption later.

Mumble is fine but is bloated for my tastes, Teamspeak is creepy and very bloated, and the WebRTC solutions have too much out of my control.

Bas

Post by Bas »

As long as you don't use D3DX (or any other 'versioned' SDK component), any SDK variant (including, even, the newer built-in Windows SDKs, as long as you ignore the new shiny APIs they default to) will work for the 'core' DX components, as on downlevel operating systems the APIs for these have not changed since the final 9.0c redistributable (outside of D3D9Ex for the WDDM driver model, of course, but it's hard to accidentally use that).

Omicron

Post by Omicron »

Bas wrote:As long as you don't use D3DX (or any other 'versioned' SDK component), any SDK variant (including, even, the newer built-in Windows SDKs, as long as you ignore the new shiny APIs they default to) will work for the 'core' DX components, as on downlevel operating systems the APIs for these have not changed since the final 9.0c redistributable (outside of D3D9Ex for the WDDM driver model, of course, but it's hard to accidentally use that).
Yeah, I just realized this after looking around Visual Studio 2010's install. It looks like I can simply use DirectInput and DirectAudio directly from VS2010 without having to even bother with a separate SDK. I assume when done in this method (just including the headers,) this then causes the program to dynamically load the DirectX libraries and compatibility depends on what functions I wind up using.

This would also be an advantage as I would not have to setup the SDK, and I can use the built in IPv6 Winsock support (that I assume uses functions compatible all the way back to Win2000's IPv6 preview.) Further more, if this DirectX functionality is included as built in libraries on recent OSes (2003 and so forth,) the Itanium versions should have no issue working with this as well.

I'm entirely new to Windows programming, so this is still very new/slightly confusing to me.

Apparently there was a version of DirectX which did have static libraries (the DirectX December 2004 release.) I cannot find any place that I can download it though, so no idea if it contains IA64 static libs as well...