Windows 98 SE Graphics Problem

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Mari

Windows 98 SE Graphics Problem

Post by Mari »

Greetings,

I had an old PC (bought in 2000) and decided to install Windows 98 SE into it. It was successfully installed and then decided to put the chipset driver (Intel Extreme Graphics for Windows 9x). The chipset which I have is of Intel brand. The driver successfully installed. From 16 color mode, I switched to the true color (32 bit) mode, to avoid straining my eyes.

The next day, when I started the system, I was shocked to see that the driver can't be used. On diagnosing the problem, I found out that due to lack of Input/Output range (Code 12), Windows will not use the driver. There was a conflict with the motherboard resources. In the BIOS, I disabled many peripherals, but of no use. Can anybody give any ideas so as to how to rectify the problem?

LoneCrusader
Donator

Re: Windows 98 SE Graphics Problem

Post by LoneCrusader »

Can you give us more detailed specs of the computer? Manufacturer and model? Motherboard model? Model numbers of any add in cards? CPU type and speed? How much RAM? What operating system originally came on the machine?

I've seen a lot of "Motherboard resources" conflicts on newer (post 9x-support) systems but not on older ones.

You may try installing Windows 98SE with "SETUP /P I" which will disable ACPI and cause 98SE to use the older 95-style APM (Advanced Power Management) instead. This clears the conflicts I mentioned on newer systems.