Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?

Discuss Windows Phone 7, 8, 10, Windows CE, .Net and Windows Mobile.
DallasCHVN

Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?

Post by DallasCHVN »

I have an old HP iPaq H4150 running Windows CE 4.20. It has 64MB RAM, 320x240x16 display, 400mhz CPU, and Wireless B. I know it's possible to upgrade to Windows Mobile 5, but where can I find the upgrade?
http://computersetc.boards.net/ OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL

Ludacris
Donator

Re: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?

Post by Ludacris »

Usually I would say, you'd have to brew a custom rom. But I am not sure if the tools and especially the ROM files are still available. Back in the days there was a user who provided the base roms and radios for the phones to the XDA comunity, but sometime during the time of 6.5.1 - 6.5.3 he disappeared, and thus the only way to get a rom running was to extract the needed things from other custom roms and build your own based on the sliced other roms. (it was for example (iirc) possible to integrate the honeycomb start menu into roms that did not support it or add some system apps etc.)

You could try to look in the XDA-Developer Archive, the only thing I fould in a quick search was http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=493483 - but that's only some kind of a linux distro for that iPaq

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.
You'll have to go with Standard , and I don't know how well that would be.

Though , your specifications are definitely sufficient.

DallasCHVN

Post by DallasCHVN »

x010 wrote:I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.

Apparently I can, but you're right that it wouldn't work well as it would use half of the RAM. The iPaq actually stores the OS and all my files in RAM, not on any internal storage
http://computersetc.boards.net/ OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

DallasCHVN wrote:
x010 wrote:I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.

Apparently I can, but you're right that it wouldn't work well as it would use half of the RAM. The iPaq actually stores the OS and all my files in RAM, not on any internal storage
But Windows Mobile 5 does not. It stores it in internal memory. That is one of the biggest benefits of it over Mobile 2003.
64 MB RAM is easily sufficient. I personally have a Windows Mobile 5 phone that has only 64 MB RAM and 192 MB ROM and it works well.

DallasCHVN

Post by DallasCHVN »

x010 wrote:
DallasCHVN wrote:

But Windows Mobile 5 does not. It stores it in internal memory. That is one of the biggest benefits of it over Mobile 2003.
64 MB RAM is easily sufficient. I personally have a Windows Mobile 5 phone that has only 64 MB RAM and 192 MB ROM and it works well.
Yes, but my Pocket PC doesn't have internal storage. It only has RAM and ROM