Internet Explorer 4 Platform Preview 517.5

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Darkstar
Donator

Internet Explorer 4 Platform Preview 517.5

Post by Darkstar »

I'm currently uploading this gem I found in SCiZE's stash:

The oldest pre-release on the BA FTP is 544.0 so I'm guessing this is somewhat older...

Haven't tried it out yet though (my windows 98 VM already has IE6 installed :( )

Oh, yeah, and it's apparently cracked (according to the NFO file) so I'm not sure if it'll end up on the FTP or not.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

computebrute
Donator

Re: Internet Explorer 4 Platform Preview 517.5

Post by computebrute »

Darkstar wrote:cracked
There's the word that killed it all... We here at BA don't like our programs cracked. (You already know)
But, according to the rules, the cracked part of the program can be removed and maybe mrpy will be happy that you have found this.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Great, glad your looking through SCiZE's stash again, Look in there for more betas that might be not on BA

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

I had this a long time ago, probably over a year ago. It came from a CrazyBytes CD, no. 15, which also had Adobe Illustrator 7.0 beta 69 (mind me) I processed and uploaded. Sadly my copy of 517.5 was also cracked (infact it was probably the smae release as yours) so I couldn't upload it. But now that it has already been posted, there's nothing left for me to do. I still hope we can find a clean version one day.
Thanks for sharing! :)

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Yes, I have that Illustrator Beta as well (it's beta 48 IIRC). But it doesn't seem to work, that's why I didn't upload it yet: It has subdirectories for around 30 floppies, but only the first twenty-something actually contain installation data, the rest is mostly empty. During installation in a Windows 98 VM the installer keeps aborting at disk 11 because of some missing file.

Regarding the timebomb in the IE4 Platform Preview, I'm pretty confident that some member here will be able to reverse the crack or replace the installer with one from a closely related release, that's why I uploaded it anyway ;)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Darkstar wrote:Yes, I have that Illustrator Beta as well (it's beta 48 IIRC). But it doesn't seem to work, that's why I didn't upload it yet: It has subdirectories for around 30 floppies, but only the first twenty-something actually contain installation data, the rest is mostly empty. During installation in a Windows 98 VM the installer keeps aborting at disk 11 because of some missing file.

Regarding the timebomb in the IE4 Platform Preview, I'm pretty confident that some member here will be able to reverse the crack or replace the installer with one from a closely related release, that's why I uploaded it anyway ;)
Actually mine is 69, and it works just fine.
By the way, I've heard of Nashville Plus Pack build 1074 from somewhere (can't remember where, probably old archived usenet posts) and 1072 is mentioned in some warez CD lists. If you can find any Nashville Plus Packs or other IE4 betas, I'd like to see them. :)
If only IE 2.0 beta 3 was in those archives...

valvedubstep
Donator

Post by valvedubstep »

Darkstar wrote:I'm currently uploading this gem I found in SCiZE's stash:

The oldest pre-release on the BA FTP is 544.0 so I'm guessing this is somewhat older...

Haven't tried it out yet though (my windows 98 VM already has IE6 installed :( )

Oh, yeah, and it's apparently cracked (according to the NFO file) so I'm not sure if it'll end up on the FTP or not.
SCiZE? inform me will you?
5000!

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

An IE 4 preview earlier than 544.0? :O That's an absolutely fantastic find and I can't wait to try it out. I am really curious about how it looks like.

Edit: And I wonder if the algorithm this 517.5 uses for Beta Site ID and Password is like the one used in Chicago. As soon as I get my hands on it, I'll give a try at disassembling this and seeing what it does.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

SuperThecomputergeek
Donator

Post by SuperThecomputergeek »

i installed this and got a really nice desktop update pre-release, better than the final one (obviously)
SuperThecomputergeek
(I go by 'infrared' now)