Some games from Win8 DP Build 8102

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
CabaProductions
Location: Somewhere in the island that is formerly a U.S. colony.

Some games from Win8 DP Build 8102

Post by CabaProductions »

Here some of game apps taken from Windows 8 Developer Preview Build 8102.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... DAF%212450 - Labyrinth
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... DAF%212449 - Zero Gravity

To play it, you need a Visual Studio to deploy and run those apps and probably you need some recoding before you do this.

BTW, I'm not a programmer or developer, I got this when I extracted 8102's install.wim months ago to find cool music from "Labyrinth".
*This account is on hiatus mode*

nedvire

Re: Some games from Win8 DP Build 8102

Post by nedvire »

Wow, I forgot about Labyrinth! I loved that game! While I was playing it I got very good news (personal news) which makes this a memory for me. Thank you for both reasons!

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

How would you play these?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

computebrute wrote:How would you play these?
To start, they need to packed up using makeappx, signed, and installed. Unfortunately, they won't run without changes as the APIs changed quite a bit between the developer preview, consumer preview, and RTM.

They will start after some manifest changes, even on Windows 10. Here's Labyrinth:
Labyrinth starts but just sits there.

Zero Gravity:
The splash screen is all that is shown before the app crashes due to a missing Run() method on the Application class.

I have no knowledge of WinJS so I can't fix Labyrinth. I should be able to repair Zero Gravity as it is written in C# and tools like ILSpy can decompile it. The XAML files aren't compiled so those could be used as is.

EDIT: Zero Gravity fixed with Windows 8 RTM APIs and works on Windows 10:
I played it up to level 11 under a debugger and so far no exceptions. Video, sound, and all animations appear to work. For reference, the app was done in .NET and is completely XAML-based.
Goldfish64

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

Goldfish, could you upload your fixed Zero Gravity package? I remember really liking the Developer Preview games back in the day and I would like it to play it again.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Windows OS wrote:Goldfish, could you upload your fixed Zero Gravity package? I remember really liking the Developer Preview games back in the day and I would like it to play it again.
Do you want just the APPX (with certificate) or the source? You will need Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio 2013 to compile as I put it together as a Windows 8.0 app. In both cases you'll also need a developer license.
Goldfish64

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

Goldfish64 wrote:
Windows OS wrote:Goldfish, could you upload your fixed Zero Gravity package? I remember really liking the Developer Preview games back in the day and I would like it to play it again.
Do you want just the APPX (with certificate) or the source? You will need Visual Studio 2012 or Visual Studio 2013 to compile as I put it together as a Windows 8.0 app. In both cases you'll also need a developer license.
Could you upload both?
Plus, another question that I just thought of. Will Zero Gravity work on Windows RT? Since I'm pretty sure that the "Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration" process should also work in RT.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Windows OS wrote:Could you upload both?
APPX only: https://mega.nz/#!CEExjaQK!y3TZXLhLPMyK ... UfdmTm8wsk
Source (requires VS2012): https://mega.nz/#!3EVkWR5S!ae5ez71N8JqV ... T2d-wJmrBE

Compiling from source is the easiest if you already have VS 2012 or VS 2013 installed. If you take the APPX option, you will need to tweak the execution policy in PowerShell.
Windows OS wrote: Plus, another question that I just thought of. Will Zero Gravity work on Windows RT? Since I'm pretty sure that the "Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration" process should also work in RT.
Yes, since it is compiled as AnyCPU. I have also tested myself on RT 8.1.

Sideloading and developer licenses work just as they do on Windows 8/8.1. You can manually install packages on RT, but I prefer the Visual Studio method and using the remote tools to test apps.

Here it is on my Surface 2 (with finger circle to prove it):
Animations flicker though.

Also found out that pressing the "S" key will save the state and will allow you to resume later by pressing the resume button.
Goldfish64

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

So will these work on win10 rtm?
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

betaluva wrote:So will these work on win10 rtm?
Yes, but only the modified Zero Gravity. The original ones do not.
Goldfish64

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

Sorry for the bump, but I was just able to install Zero Gravity, and it's just as I remembered it back in 2011. Now let's see if we could get Labyrinth working...

SimuratedYT

Post by SimuratedYT »

After 8 Years of inactivity, i actually have an unfinished modified version of labyrinth that works
But there are some problems:
Level picker doesn't work, and music overlaps.
But, some unused stuff were added.
Such as:
A wide tile that was in the game files and a "Did you Know?" thing when you multitask.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1342goS ... drive_link

Hope this board gets active again because i love DP games and i wish they got more attention :)
Last edited by SimuratedYT on Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.