Chicago builds in old magazines

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
DiskingRound

Chicago builds in old magazines

Post by DiskingRound »

In the same Spanish magazine series I found the Windows 98 build 1546 Spanish screenshot in:
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 60&t=34460
I found screenshots of at least 3 beta builds of Windows 95 in the series. I was going to post these in that thread but it got ignored.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem any of them are new builds; but still, here's what I found so far:

Windows Chicago Alpha:
ImageImage
These are the first Chicago screenshots I found in the series scans. Judging by the fact there is no dash [-] button on the top left corner of the windows in the right screenshot, I think it's probably at or aroundbuild 81, but I could be wrong.

Windows 95 Beta 1:
ImageImage
Probably not 99; 99 does not have the beta release notes icon on the desktop by default. Unless they meticulously added in the icon, then I'd say 122 or some other beta 1 build like 116.
The next two articles are quite comprehensive, so be warned:

Windows 95 Beta 2:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
You may be asking how I determined this was beta 2. Well, in build 346/7 beta 3 of Windows 95 beta Spanish, the start menu text is Inicio:
However, in these screenshots, the start menu text is Iniciar, which is seen in build 222 Spanish beta 2:
Therefore, I'm leaning towards the side of it being a beta 2 build. However this is just my own guess based on leaked builds; feel free to ignore or correct me.

Windows 95 Final:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
No comments. This stuff is too long to translate and I scaled down the images so the image uploader can handle them. If you can make anything interesting from this, just share here.

While this is interesting, I could not find any unleaked Chicago screenshots like I said and I couldn't find any build 58s, 189, etc. material. However 58s and 189 screenshots are featured in the Windows 3.1 build 34f thread by DeFacto/Overdoze:
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 59&t=26868
If you have any other scans of magazines with Chicago screenshots and/or information in them, I'd be proud to see them. :)

Overdoze

Re: Chicago builds in old magazines

Post by Overdoze »

Very nice, thanks for sharing these. :)

I agree about the first build, likely 81 or around there.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DiskingRound: Could you post the dates of those magazine articles? They could help to determine what build of Chicago those screenshots are.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Battler wrote:- DiskingRound: Could you post the dates of those magazine articles? They could help to determine what build of Chicago those screenshots are.
I actually don't know the dates of these Spanish articles, I found them online with no date/month information. The date of the Windows 95 Beta 2 screenshots appear to be March 31, 1995, and the Chicago Alpha screenshots from March 14, 1994.

Also, one of the screenshots of Windows 95 Final has a date: "11/07/95 17:57", which appears to be a date of a file from a Project 95 CD open in NC, which appears to be a standalone release of Project 95 Spanish CD.