Interesting find in Longhorn 5048 setup

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
DJ Deedahx
Donator

Interesting find in Longhorn 5048 setup

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Here I am trying to install Longhorn 5048 on a pre-installed Longhorn 3790.1232 VMDK, and I see this message:

Longhorn build 5019? So there was another build Microsoft didn't want us to know about?

I downloaded Longhorn 5048 from the FTP: this is NOT a fake.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

computebrute
Donator

Re: Interesting find in Longhorn 5048 setup

Post by computebrute »

It could be that somebody just made a mistake when writing that string. Or the build hasn't leaked?

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

computebrute wrote:Or the build hasn't leaked?
I seriously doubt it.

If it was a mistake, then it could have been Longhorn 5001 (which Wikipedia does mention in the Development of Windows Vista article, but then again is not to be trusted), but we still question the authenticity of this build.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

DJ Deedahx wrote: Longhorn build 5019? So there was another build Microsoft didn't want us to know about?

I downloaded Longhorn 5048 from the FTP: this is NOT a fake.
It's not like Windows builds have random build numbers. For build n+1 to exist, n should exist too (5000 is an exception to this rule as 4999 obviously does not exist). Now you can see it's not really 'another build they didn't want us to know about' since we could easily have guessed it was built since we have builds with higher build numbers. Pretty nice find nevertheless.

Note that the term 'CBB' was also used in pre-reset Longhorn builds beginning in the 408X range. CBB seems to be the acronym for Component Based Build - thanks Lukas. It seems like they got a decent enough level of modularity by build 5019 for them to upgrade the components neatly when upgrading to a newer build. Since 3790.1232 is not componentised in any way the option remains disabled.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

DJ Deedahx wrote:
computebrute wrote:Or the build hasn't leaked?
I seriously doubt it.

If it was a mistake, then it could have been Longhorn 5001 (which Wikipedia does mention in the Development of Windows Vista article, but then again is not to be trusted), but we still question the authenticity of this build.
5019 is real if it was mentioned in setup. 5001 is most likely real, see this: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 62&t=33028 Notice that the picture is 5001's background, yet someone even claimed 5001 was fake: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 01+is+fake

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

ovctvct wrote:5019 is real if it was mentioned in setup.
The only known info about this build is that it was referenced in Longhorn 5048's setup. (BA Wiki says it too) So it could have been an internal beta or something.

Either way, if by any chance we would get a leak of this build this year or in the near future, it would be awesome.