What do you think of Windows 10?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
alcid34

What do you think of Windows 10?

Post by alcid34 »

I heard it's the new Windows 7, it's pretty good. What about you guys? Do you guys like Windows 10?
Pokemon Master Timothy, the greatest Pokemon Brainiac since Ash Ketchum, at your service. I'm also a beginner programmer and Windows Lover!

DarkenMoon
Donator

Re: What do you think of Windows 10?

Post by DarkenMoon »

I don't think anything that Microsoft creates (operating system wise) will ever be as good as Windows 7 is. It's my personal opinion, so take it as you may.

domantasrackovas
Donator

Post by domantasrackovas »

Me? Windows is as good as dead - it died after Windows 8. I don't care if they bring the Start button back, the whole thing is just too flat and lifeless - they changed it too much. They seem to have moved away from what made Windows good. I am not upgrading to it until I get a new PC. Even with that, I'd probably install Linux on it, because I refuse to use a trash OS that is unintuitive and it is clearly made for mobiles and tablets - I don't think they really care about the traditional PCs anymore. Just my two cents.
Call me Dom.
I love old operating systems.

FTP Access - Donator

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

its malware now
win7 was last good NTOS

anakin94
Donator

Post by anakin94 »

wasabilee wrote: win7 was last good NTOS
Agree!
I see no reason for me to upgrade, my systems running fine on Vista and 7.

Eggs6131

Post by Eggs6131 »

I haven't used it, nor have I seen upgrade prompts on any 7-based PCs. But from what I can see, it's just as bland, smartphone orientated and unusable as Windows 8, the only major difference being it's not in fullscreen mode.

They've truly dropped the ball, and personally I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 7 sticks around for the forseeable future like XP.
... what are you looking at?

Courage

Post by Courage »

Ehhh, my opinion can be a bit controversial but here goes:

Indeed, I am biased towards the less popular versions of Windows (eg. Vista), simply because the more popular ones don't really work for me (eg. 7). However, I can still safely say that Vista SP2/7 SP1 (for people who prefer 7) is still the high point of the NT 6 line. (I'm counting 10 as NT 6.4 here.) Sorry MS, this ain't 7 MK II. Better luck (and skill) next time, with 10.1/11 or something like that.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Am I the only one in this thread who actually likes Windows 10 for the most part? :P
But yeah, I also kinda liked Windows 8.1 and liked 7.
Pros:
  • The start menu looks clean, good and simple.
  • When I open my laptop from sleep instead of having to login again the system just wakes up with everything right there.
  • Most of my applications still work on Windows 10.
Cons:
  • Using the track pad to scroll doesn't scroll at all.
  • Don't like the universal calculator.
  • VPC2007 no longer works, leaving me with VMware.
But that's just my opinion. Feel free to ignore all you want.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Windows 10 is the new Windows 8, but worse. I still regret the "upgrade". What was I thinking!? Somebody had to have drugged me to get me to download that ISO and "upgrade" using it.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

DiskingRound wrote:
  • Using the track pad to scroll doesn't scroll at all.
This is a problem with your trackpad drivers.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

James

Post by James »

wasabilee wrote:its malware now
win7 was last good NTOS
You know, for somebody on their final warning, you sure do like to play fast and loose. Do not post in this thread again unless you're going to contribute something that isn't your poor attitude. You are, quite frankly, one small step away from a ban.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Eggs6131 wrote:I haven't used it, nor have I seen upgrade prompts on any 7-based PCs. But from what I can see, it's just as bland, smartphone orientated and unusable as Windows 8, the only major difference being it's not in fullscreen mode.

They've truly dropped the ball, and personally I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 7 sticks around for the forseeable future like XP.
Win8 is not unusable, just because it has metro... I use 8 and office 2013 for daily use, and I don't care what others say. My opinion is that 8 isn't bad at all, nor buggy, and so 10 isn't bad for the UI, just stability is what really is a problem. Also, 10 really is incompatible with most stuff it seems, older VMware, for example, just freezes it.

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

Upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro, its good, has some niggles on nVidia surround still but will get sorted in due time, noticed games run smoother than they used to, TERA for example used to be hella laggy but on switching to 10 it loads and runs a lot smoother.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

All my systems are now upgraded from 8.1 Pro to 10 Pro, and then clean installed, with the exception of one laptop. It still has its original Dell Windows 7 install, upgraded to 8 Pro during the $39 offer, then to 8.1, now to 10. Only some small issues here and there. I could have just upgraded and be done with it, but one badly needed a clean install as it was taking around two minutes sitting at the boot screen when you reboot, on a SSD. Now it's back to the normal 8 second reboot time. :)

My laptop is currently having a couple of issues, like the trackpad not working and VAIO Control Center not fully working. Those will probably be fixed when Sony releases drivers for Windows 10.
Goldfish64

ehea617

[DELETED]

Post by ehea617 »

[DELETED]
Last edited by ehea617 on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

James wrote:
win7 was last good NTOS
You know, for somebody on their final warning, you sure do like to play fast and loose. Do not post in this thread again unless you're going to contribute something that isn't your poor attitude. You are, quite frankly, one small step away from a ban.
he asked why "we think of it", I gave my opinion, unlike you
not only that, I told him the truth, 10 is malware, too many telemetry and spyware
even admitedly written there stiffed init which user can't disable

wanna "ban" me ? then do it already kiddo

Eggs6131

Post by Eggs6131 »

ovctvct wrote:Win8 is not unusable, just because it has metro... I use 8 and office 2013 for daily use, and I don't care what others say. My opinion is that 8 isn't bad at all, nor buggy, and so 10 isn't bad for the UI, just stability is what really is a problem. Also, 10 really is incompatible with most stuff it seems, older VMware, for example, just freezes it.
Sorry, I should've added "in my opinion". I've tried to use Windows 8.1 for daily use on a brand new laptop and gave up after a week.
It works for some people, not so much for others. It's all a matter of personal preference.
MrFreeman wrote:Windows 10 is the new Windows 8, but worse. I still regret the "upgrade". What was I thinking!? Somebody had to have drugged me to get me to download that ISO and "upgrade" using it.
Pardon my ignorance but does the downgrade option in Control Panel work with an ISO installation?
... what are you looking at?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

Eggs6131 wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:Windows 10 is the new Windows 8, but worse. I still regret the "upgrade". What was I thinking!? Somebody had to have drugged me to get me to download that ISO and "upgrade" using it.
Pardon my ignorance but does the downgrade option in Control Panel work with an ISO installation?
Yes, it does.
Goldfish64

James

Post by James »

wasabilee wrote:
James wrote:
win7 was last good NTOS
he asked why "we think of it", I gave my opinion, unlike you
not only that, I told him the truth, 10 is malware, too many telemetry and spyware
even admitedly written there stiffed init which user can't disable

wanna "ban" me ? then do it already kiddo
Lmfao, bye.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

Goldfish64 wrote:
Eggs6131 wrote:
Yes, it does.
Yeah, but I deleted the Windows.old folder because I was still operating my laptop under the influence.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

voidp

Post by voidp »

DiskingRound wrote:VPC2007 no longer works, leaving me with VMware.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

mrcobra92

Post by mrcobra92 »

Works great! Better performance than crappy Windows 7 (which looked like an ugly version of Vista, sorry but it's true). Very happy with it. It's much better than Wondows 8 and have no complaints other than I wish for the return of full Aero Glass natively.

Win7

Post by Win7 »

Windows 10 would be perfect if VirtualBox 5.0 just worked a little better on it.

In fact, I have to get 3-4 errors while starting a session before I can use a virtual machine, even if it was already on and saved. I never encountered this bug until I upgraded.

I hope 5.0.2 will do better, as - until then - I can't stay safe with my virtual machines, mainly due to the fear that the virtual drives would crash.

Win7

classiconthebox

Post by classiconthebox »

I didn't try it yet, and I'm not sure I'm going to try it now. I'm still on 7.

WindowsBetaz01
Donator

Post by WindowsBetaz01 »

Upgraded my mom's laptop to Windows 10 from 8.1. I had to rollback because touchscreen stopped working and USB 2.0 ports as well (they're still not working, going to have to refresh everything). It was all going really well until I rebooted for the second time. Yesterday I rolled back to 8.1 and the clock/notification area of the taskbar is kinda messed up now. Tried to listen to something in media player and- BSOD. First time it has ever happened (couldn't see the code, rebooted instantly). I'm not really touching Windows 10 until a lot of the big kinks are worked on. Anyway, It working pretty good for the first few days. Compatibility for older games and software was the same as on Windows 8.1 which was pretty cool. I actually could play The Sims 1, a game that's 15 years old. By the way, my desktop is not going anywhere near Windows 10. Windows 7 is working fine, actually better than 10.