What is WinFS?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
lopper

What is WinFS?

Post by lopper »

I read the wikipedia article, I looked at some other sources, I'm still not getting it.

Was it something that could categorise files by their filetypes?

Windows OS

Re: What is WinFS?

Post by Windows OS »

WinFS was a new object-based file system to be included in Longhorn/Vista. It was the only cancelled pre-reset feature to make it to post-reset builds before being canned. I highly recommend watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY23tqFMSKE
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

just look it as database type of file system that would read metadata

bromanbro

Post by bromanbro »

wasabilee wrote:just look it as database type of file system that would read metadata
Yeah, but at least in the youtube video, the examples quoted very complex search terms that would require searching inside multiple file types at once and examining if their data is related.........way more then "songs by Queen" (where it just looks for the qualifying tags).

Also I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding this, but would WinFS have had anything to do with a "common file base" that programs could rely on? For example, most programs back in the 9x days just shipped with DLL files they needed inside their folders, rather then checking the system32 folder for it. Would WinFS have given a common "file base" for programs to read from? I'M PROBABLY OFF BASE! IF SO, SORRY FOR WASTING YOUR TIME!

Still, even if it only allowed elaborate searches, WinFS sounded cool.