To start Windows 98 SE Problem...

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
OltScript131

To start Windows 98 SE Problem...

Post by OltScript131 »

Day!
Here, I installed Windows 95C (VXD Patched) on a fairly new computer(It worked well Windows 95C!), and I wanted to make him an update (For the operating system, not a DOS) to Windows 98 SE, installation s 'went well but when he wanted restarted, it displayed the logo of Windows 98 SE but then he unfortunately crashed for an indefinite time, animation bottom of the screen not even move... I can only access the desktop in Safe Mode... :$
I found a patch entitled HIMEMX that activates the extended memory (RAM) but it still does not work....
I have found no other solution but it was brief ....

There is also a multiboot Windows 98SE/Windows XP !

The minimum computer configuration:
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 3600+ to 2,19 Ghz
GPU : NVidia GeForce 8600GT to  512 Mo
RAM : 2,00 Go
DD : 1 to 18,6 Go [FAT32]

So what do I do what ?? *hehe*

GoodBye !!!!!!! :beta:

DutchAbandonwareCollector

Re: To start Windows 98 SE Problem...

Post by DutchAbandonwareCollector »

I used to experience problems while running Windows 98 FE/SE on systems with over 768 MB's of RAM.

I solved the problem by inserting a boot disk after the first reboot initiated by the Windows 98 Setup. Then I would open the file %windir%\system.ini and add the line maxphyspage=30000 to the [386enh] section of this file. This will prevent Windows 98 from using over 768 MB's of RAM. You can also try 40000 instead, but that didn't work for me.

Good luck!

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

Jajan131 wrote:Day!
Here, I installed Windows 95C (VXD Patched) on a fairly new computer(It worked well Windows 95C!), and I wanted to make him an update (For the operating system, not a DOS) to Windows 98 SE, installation s 'went well but when he wanted restarted, it displayed the logo of Windows 98 SE but then he unfortunately crashed for an indefinite time:
Offtopic Comment
Who is "him" and "he"? *hehe*

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

This most likely related to 9X memory issues with memory size over 512MB.

@JimOlive: that is likely the result of poor translation from a language which features grammatical gender to English, which doesn't. You're also making a pointless post, BTW.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

OltScript131

Post by OltScript131 »

DutchAbandonwareCollector wrote:I used to experience problems while running Windows 98 FE/SE on systems with over 768 MB's of RAM.

I solved the problem by inserting a boot disk after the first reboot initiated by the Windows 98 Setup. Then I would open the file %windir%\system.ini and add the line maxphyspage=30000 to the [386enh] section of this file. This will prevent Windows 98 from using over 768 MB's of RAM. You can also try 40000 instead, but that didn't work for me.

Good luck!
I already did and I knew this technique but it still does not work...
Besides, when I put this code in SYSTEM.INI, the problem becomes different when it displays the startup logo, d a sudden he goes out and he comes back this logo, you have to press any key on the keyboard and you can see it is planted....

I had tried with Windows 95C, and it worked great but not with Windows 98 SE apparently.... He still hangs...

PS: I even tried with MaxPhysPage=08000 = 128MB but it does not work, it crashes again... :cry:

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

The various "tweaks" for making more than 512MB of RAM work under 9x are not 100% reliable or 100% guaranteed to work. I never got them to work on any machine, period. I recommend using 512MB for "experiments" or, if you really are serious about using more then look into rloew's RAM patch.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

LoneCrusader wrote:The various "tweaks" for making more than 512MB of RAM work under 9x are not 100% reliable or 100% guaranteed to work. I never got them to work on any machine, period. I recommend using 512MB for "experiments" or, if you really are serious about using more then look into rloew's RAM patch.
Yeah. I once tried to do that on a Pentium 4 Dell with 4GB of RAM. Worked at first, but then once I started installing stuff, it eventually completely broke the install.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

OltScript131

Post by OltScript131 »

I already know of this patch, but I had not tried because it was a DEMO... (Where is the full version ???? :? )
When I moved, I have a problem, I displayed (Mode MS-DOS 7.10) :

Code: Select all

Windows 95/98/SE/ME Ram Limitation Patch  (Demo)   Version 7.1
Copyright (c) 2007-2012 by Rudolph R. Loew. All Rights Reserved.

VMM32 File Overwritten by Unknown File.

C:\WIN95C\SYSTEM>_
As I saw this error, so I just copied into \ SYSTEM but it still does not work, and I did well: PATCH / M, PATCH :$

PS : C:\WIN95C\ = Windows 98SE
       I'm updating Windows 98SE to Windows 95C (As I already said!) ^^

LoneCrusader
Donator

Post by LoneCrusader »

The full version of the patch is not free. That's why I recommended using 512MB unless you are really serious about this project.

Probably something during the upgrade process from 95C to 98SE is causing the problem with VMM32. This is a very strange configuration. If you're wanting 98SE then why not just install 98SE rather than going through an "upgrade" process?