Whistler 2296: VirtualBox Guest Additions issue

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
DJ Deedahx
Donator

Whistler 2296: VirtualBox Guest Additions issue

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Please do not ask me to use Virtual PC 2007 as my host is Windows 8.1 Pro x64 and I was not able to utilize the VMM.sys patch on Windows 8.1. It worked perfectly in Windows 8.0, however.
There has also been another topic about the same issue created about five years ago, but it didn't solve my problem.
Ignore this.
August 6, 2015 Update: Virtual PC 2007 finally functions after I ran it with Windows 7 compatibility mode and as admin.
Offtopic Comment
Hello all. It's been quite a while since I have posted here, so how has it been?
I have recently downloaded Windows Whistler build 2296 and I installed it on VirtualBox. (On VMware Workstation 11, setup is stuck at "Setup is starting Windows Whistler".) Everything seems to be fine, except that the display resolution was stuck at 800x600 with 16-bit colors.

So, logically, I inserted the VirtualBox Guest Additions CD image into my virtual machine, only to find this error: (VBoxGuestAdditions-x86.exe)

"Windows was not able to process the application binding information.
Please refer to your System Event Log for further information."

So I opened the Event Viewer and saw a few errors logs that dated from a few minutes ago. I opened the latest one, and this is what it says:

Source: SideBySide
Event ID: 32

Description:
Syntax error in file "%11"; line 12%; element %13; language %14; processor %15; ver=%16; requestVer=%17; The application failed to launch because of invalid manifest

I'm not really sure if it was the Guest Additions executable that logged this, but it was logged at about the same time I ran the executable. And it was logged as an error, so...

I would really like some help on this issue, as I am preparing this installation for a YouTube video, and no one wants to see some ugly 800x600 16-bit video... *hehe* Thanks in advance.
Last edited by DJ Deedahx on Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

TheTerminatorExecuter

Re: Whistler 2296: VirtualBox Guest Additions issue

Post by TheTerminatorExecuter »

I get the same problem in VMWare Wokstation, please help him and I.
my weakness is old dell computers

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

TheTerminatorExecuter wrote:I get the same problem in VMWare Wokstation,
What version of VMware Workstation are you using?

Courage

Post by Courage »

You can extract the VBox additions using the command prompt and then use Device Manager to install the display driver. You can search online for more instructions.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

While installing the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter, I got a Code 31 error...

Also, how do I change the display driver from the mediocre VGA driver to something else?

Courage

Post by Courage »

DJ Deedahx wrote:While installing the VirtualBox Graphics Adapter, I got a Code 31 error...

Also, how do I change the display driver from the mediocre VGA driver to something else?
In that case, you can use VBENT. It's a VESA display driver which works for most NT builds in VB from 854 to 2474.

Oddly enough, the Virtualbox 5.0.0 driver works in 2287 for me (only have 2296 checked). Which version of VB are you using?

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Courage wrote:Oddly enough, the Virtualbox 5.0.0 driver works in 2287 for me (only have 2296 checked). Which version of VB are you using?
VirtualBox 5.0.0 is out already!?

Right now I'm using VirtualBox 4.3.28...

TheTerminatorExecuter

Post by TheTerminatorExecuter »

DJ Deedahx wrote:
TheTerminatorExecuter wrote:I get the same problem in VMWare Wokstation,
What version of VMware Workstation are you using?
Latest version (11).
my weakness is old dell computers

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Courage wrote:In that case, you can use VBENT. It's a VESA display driver which works for most NT builds in VB from 854 to 2474.
Hmm, never heard of that one before. Could you please provide a download link? :) Somehow the google.com trick doesn't work here...

Also, I recently upgraded to VirtualBox 5.0.0, extracted the video drivers from the Guest Additions executable, and... same error. Code 31.

Courage

Post by Courage »

DJ Deedahx wrote:
Courage wrote:In that case, you can use VBENT. It's a VESA display driver which works for most NT builds in VB from 854 to 2474.
Hmm, never heard of that one before. Could you please provide a download link? :) Somehow the google.com trick doesn't work here...

Also, I recently upgraded to VirtualBox 5.0.0, extracted the video drivers from the Guest Additions executable, and... same error. Code 31.
Whoops, I misspelled it. ^^ It's actually called VBEMP NT and it can be found here: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Courage wrote:Whoops, I misspelled it. ^^ It's actually called VBEMP NT and it can be found here: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm
Oh, no hard feelings. Thanks! I will install it and bring some results back here.

July 30, 2015 - FIX: Same Code 31 error. Looks like I'm gonna have to switch to VMware Player 7 for a while... Is this a joke? Whistler 2296 is still not working inside VMware products? What am I doing wrong... :?
Ok, returning into VMware Workstation 11. I have created a machine with the usual settings: 512 MB of RAM and a 10 GB hard drive (the settings I used in VirtualBox), and VMware 6.5-7.x compatibility. And it STILL refuses to get past that nasty installation message. I guess I should look for some guides online.
Last edited by DJ Deedahx on Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Courage

Post by Courage »

DJ Deedahx wrote:
Courage wrote:Whoops, I misspelled it. ^^ It's actually called VBEMP NT and it can be found here: http://www.navozhdeniye.narod.ru/vbemp.htm
Oh, no hard feelings. Thanks! I will install it and bring some results back here.

July 30, 2015 - FIX: Same Code 31 error. Looks like I'm gonna have to switch to VMware Player 7 for a while... Is this a joke? Whistler 2296 is still not working inside VMware products? What am I doing wrong... :?
Ok, returning into VMware Workstation 11. I have created a machine with the usual settings: 512 MB of RAM and a 10 GB hard drive (the settings I used in VirtualBox). And it STILL refuses to get past that nasty installation message. I guess I should look for some guides online.
I did some research and it seems that Code 31 is a security issue. What was the full message you got for this error?

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Meanwhile everything is nice and dandy over here, I have no idea what are you people doing ._.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

So I finally figured out how to make Whistler 2296 work in VMware after all... other that it's really not worth it since the VMware Tools executable gave me the same exact "Windows was not able to process the application binding information" error.
To run the build inside VMware, go to your Virtual Machines folder inside My Documents and locate the VM containing Whistler 2296. Edit the .vmx file using Notepad and add this line: (works 100% tested legit)

Code: Select all

acpi.present = "FALSE"
Well, about that application binding information thingamajig... read this topic and you'll understand why: (it actually worked, thanks boxmaker) viewtopic.php?t=2609

Lol, no. VirtualBox Guest Additions installed fine, but now I have no idea how to make VBoxVideo the default driver.