Longhorn 3706 DCE

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
yourepicfailure
Donator

Longhorn 3706 DCE

Post by yourepicfailure »

I'm attempting to enable DCE on 3706 as per longhorn.ms, and for some reason, it don't want to run.
All that happens is window controls flicker and my cursor disappears. I've used Dynamic Control and Enable on startup, with no result. I'm confident it didn't turn on because there were no window animations or black corners.
My hardware should be DirectX compliant, and the following image should give you most of that info.
Any ideas? FYI this is on REAL hardware.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ovctvct

Re: Longhorn 3706 DCE

Post by ovctvct »

Weird. Try going to the troubleshoot tab in the same window where you enable DCE, and set the acceleration to max. If still not working, maybe the driver is incompatible, try another build like 3713/3718 or 4001.

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

All I could recommend is trying an older driver. But then again, these builds are really picky and don't give away their DCE effects easily.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Melcher wrote:All I could recommend is trying an older driver. But then again, these builds are really picky and don't give away their DCE effects easily.
Problem is, I'm using the 8.551 driver, and the only older version is 8.491, which I've had horrible experiences with.
Maybe I could try it, since this is a dual-boot.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

you need WHQL driver first and foremost
for you it says "n/a"

then unfortunately you do need to experiment with drivers

yourepicfailure
Donator

ovctvct wrote:If still not working, maybe the driver is incompatible, try another build like 3713/3718 or 4001.
Tried 3713, and it worked fine. However, I had to turn off DCE after 2 sec. because Alpha Transparency gave me a headache.

@wasibilee:

My driver isn't WHQL'd in the anyways. However, as I said, DCE works fine in 3713 and probably+. I'll try a different driver on 3706 that will hopefully be WHQL'd and see if that works.

fred30w

Post by fred30w »

yourepicfailure wrote: My driver isn't WHQL'd in the anyways. However, as I said, DCE works fine in 3713 and probably+. I'll try a different driver on 3706 that will hopefully be WHQL'd and see if that works.
Is this a desktop or a laptop? I have a desktop that has a Radeon Xpress 200 inside. According to the manual for it, the Xpress 200 is based on the Radeon X300, while this site says your Xpress 1250 is also based on the Radeon X300. Now if you're using a laptop then the mobile version of the X300 drivers probably wouldn't be compatible, but I could try to find something for my desktop to see if it would work for you.

yourepicfailure
Donator

fred30w wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote: My driver isn't WHQL'd in the anyways. However, as I said, DCE works fine in 3713 and probably+. I'll try a different driver on 3706 that will hopefully be WHQL'd and see if that works.
Is this a desktop or a laptop? I have a desktop that has a Radeon Xpress 200 inside. According to the manual for it, the Xpress 200 is based on the Radeon X300, while this site says your Xpress 1250 is also based on the Radeon X300. Now if you're using a laptop then the mobile version of the X300 drivers probably wouldn't be compatible, but I could try to find something for my desktop to see if it would work for you.
I'm using a laptop. Dell Latitude XT.
Thanks!

fred30w

Post by fred30w »

yourepicfailure wrote: I'm using a laptop. Dell Latitude XT.
Thanks!
Our hardware must be closer than I realized. I get the exact same symptoms as you. The HP drivers for this machine crash so they're not an option. Will continue to try others.

EDIT: So far, not so good. Well, I tried many different ATI reference drivers, and some modded ones. For the Xpress 200 in my desktop, Catalyst 5.3 drivers and below will fail to start. Catalyst 5.4 was the best driver I've found so far, and while it won't activate DCE still, the mouse cursor doesn't disappear. We might have to dive into OEM drivers. Heck, I even put the dedicated Radeon X1650 back in there, same symptoms. (even though that card never really worked with Longhorn apparently)

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

fred30w wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote: I'm using a laptop. Dell Latitude XT.
Thanks!
Our hardware must be closer than I realized. I get the exact same symptoms as you. The HP drivers for this machine crash so they're not an option. Will continue to try others.

EDIT: So far, not so good. Well, I tried many different ATI reference drivers, and some modded ones. For the Xpress 200 in my desktop, Catalyst 5.3 drivers and below will fail to start. Catalyst 5.4 was the best driver I've found so far, and while it won't activate DCE still, the mouse cursor doesn't disappear. We might have to dive into OEM drivers. Heck, I even put the dedicated Radeon X1650 back in there, same symptoms. (even though that card never really worked with Longhorn apparently)

Then I guess they're simply not compatible with 3706 due to a bug probably. Maybe 3718 will work better, but I can't try it myself since I havent got such hardware myself..

fred30w

Post by fred30w »

ovctvct wrote:Then I guess they're simply not compatible with 3706 due to a bug probably. Maybe 3718 will work better, but I can't try it myself since I havent got such hardware myself..
Yes, 3718 works just fine on this machine and 3713 works fine according to the OP.

yourepicfailure
Donator

fred30w wrote:
ovctvct wrote:Then I guess they're simply not compatible with 3706 due to a bug probably. Maybe 3718 will work better, but I can't try it myself since I havent got such hardware myself..
Yes, 3718 works just fine on this machine and 3713 works fine according to the OP.
I don't know if you experience this, but after 5 min DCE begins to "expire". First animations die off, then DCE itself.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

@yourepicfailure I also get that problem sometimes on VMware 6.5, but not always and only with the 6.5.0 SVGA, 6.5.2 doesn't do this. And, does the DCE die off when you close or minimise a window and if so does it leave a "trail" around the closed window if you look carefully? If that's what you get, then the driver is the problem. That's exactly what I ocasionally got on Vmware 6.5 with the 6.5.0's SVGA.

yourepicfailure
Donator

ovctvct wrote:@yourepicfailure I also get that problem sometimes on VMware 6.5, but not always and only with the 6.5.0 SVGA, 6.5.2 doesn't do this. And, does the DCE die off when you close or minimise a window and if so does it leave a "trail" around the closed window if you look carefully? If that's what you get, then the driver is the problem. That's exactly what I ocasionally got on Vmware 6.5 with the 6.5.0's SVGA.
When it is working, DCE renders flawlessly and smoothly. No trail, nothing. Just a window doing tricks.

fred30w

Post by fred30w »

yourepicfailure wrote: I don't know if you experience this, but after 5 min DCE begins to "expire". First animations die off, then DCE itself.
ovctvct wrote:@yourepicfailure I also get that problem sometimes on VMware 6.5, but not always and only with the 6.5.0 SVGA, 6.5.2 doesn't do this. And, does the DCE die off when you close or minimise a window and if so does it leave a "trail" around the closed window if you look carefully? If that's what you get, then the driver is the problem. That's exactly what I ocasionally got on Vmware 6.5 with the 6.5.0's SVGA.
I'm pretty sure this is a mix between drivers and a bug with DCE itself. It's random for me. Sometimes DCE stays on for a short time before crashing, and others it's rock solid and doesn't crash at all. Happened on all of the hardware I've tried them on (real or virtual).