[REQUEST] Norton Ghost 5.1

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
Jensvde
Donator

[REQUEST] Norton Ghost 5.1

Post by Jensvde »

Hello all,

I'm looking for a disk imaging software that would run under Windows 95 on a pentium II. I was thinking about Norton Ghost 5.1 but I can't find it. I did found it on VetusWare, but the site says my karma is too low to download.

Here's a link to vetusware: http://vetusware.com/download/Norton%20 ... M/?id=6423

Another imaging software would also be good it just needs to run under Win95 on a Pentium II with 64mb of ram. I know the system specs aren't good but it's the most recent pc I got that has an ISA slot on it. I want to backup a MFM hard drive (an incredible 20mb)

Thanks in advance!

Jens

Battler
Donator

Re: [REQUEST] Norton Ghost 5.1

Post by Battler »

- Jensvde: Could an old version WinImage be good enough?
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Downloaded & reuploaded the file from VetusWare
http://lucasm.cf/temp/Norton%20Ghost%205.1%20OEM.rar

Jensvde
Donator

Post by Jensvde »

Thank you very much!

@Battler: No, when I try to use Win Image, the moment I hit start the application crashes (it gives me the old fashion "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" message)

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I'm sure i have a copy of ghost 5.1 CD, the sort that comes in a box with a manual, cdrom and other stuff.

Jensvde
Donator

Post by Jensvde »

Maybe you can upload it to the ftp? It's older than 10 years so its abandonware...

johnlemon647

Post by johnlemon647 »

There also Norton Ghost for DOS had PC-DOS 7.1 inside but can not find it.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I've been through all of the Norton Ghosts, and extracted three versions of PC-DOS 7.1 out of it. They're all on my pc-dos 7.1 distribution diskette.

On 5.1, it's the last of the Binary compiles, before the thing was largely rewritten. The edition is a personal one, ie it has GHOSTPE.EXE rather than GHOST.EXE, and i'm not sure what that specifically means. Maybe it does not like networks, like LIST,EXE. (Even my registered version of list.exe does not like networks :( ).

I'll have to scratch around downstairs. I could not find it up here, except i copied the install to a directory on the cdrom.

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The current situation with Norton Ghost / DOS is this.

1. There is a program 'ghost.exe' which is the full version, and ghostoem.exe, which is only a restore-proggie. These exist in DOS, Windows 32 and Windows 64 bit versions. Ghostoem is evidently meant to be distributed with an image, while preventing images being prepared. GhostOEM has the read-disk and read-partition options disabled.

2. GSS 2.5 contains the last full set for DOS, Win32, and Win64, these are versions 11.50.

3. GSS 3.0 contains Win32 and Win64 versions of 12.0 (these require at least WinXP), and a Ghost 11.50 version of GhostOEM.

But both gss 2.5 and 3.0 are too recent for this list.

4. NSW (Norton System Works) Premier 2006 contains Ghost 2003 (apparently 8.0), but this is installed only on Win9x machines. The WinNT series contains PQI rebadged as ghost9. Instead, unpack NSW2005 on the disk, it is a WinRAR executable, it contains version 2003.0793, in DOS, Win32 versions. Also in the recovery diskette, there's a copy of Win32 ghost 32 corporate, (under some weird name).

6. PC-DOS is contained in GSS 2.5 and 3.0 (client mode). The actual files are stored under the common appdata directory, as shown below.

H:\USERS\Public\Application Data\Symantec\Ghost
shell: common appdata \Symantec\Ghost

This has a whole mob of directories, only the 'common' directory is relevant.

PC-DOS 7.10 b 1.19 is unpacked. There are two files 'bootsrv.sys' and 'bootsrv.sys' which will open quite well in Winimage, these contain build 1.11. There's also an msbootsrv16.sys which is also a disk image, containing MSDOS 7.10.2222 (ie Win98SE boot files).

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

I've done the MDF of the cdrom, but yet to scan the disk. It's a personal edition, which means it does not support networks. It does however support Win16. There's a few other MDF scans by Alcohol 120 i have done, like Norton System Works 2002, but i am not sure if that counts as abandonware.

It's pretty hard to find a copy of Norton Ghost Suite 2.51. This is the last one to support DOS clients. It has ghost 11.51 for DOS, Win32 and Win64 and Lin. Ghost Suite 3.00 has only 12.00 for Win32/64/Linux. It's worth hunting this down, because ghost images are a lot faster than installs.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Regardless if it's abandonware or not you can still dump, scan and upload it to the FTP.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Five years late, but http://www.os2fan2.com/files/norton-ghostpe-5.1.rar

The pe does not mean winpe but personal edition. Two files for the media (one cdrom), and a scan of the cdrom.

could not get heta-upload to work.

uploaded above.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Could you please dump and scan this properly according to the guidelines? Then I can add it to the FTP (ringcode and log file were missing).

Thanks.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Scratching through the files, I came across pre-Norton Ghost 5.0, but it's an installed copy, rather than an install set.

5.1 was dumped by alcohol120, but I did not see any ring codes etc. I'll have to have a look for the guidelines again.

Norton Ghost Personal Edition (5.10) (1999/06/05) [English].rar uploaded as
http://www.os2fan2.com/files/ghostpe.rar and
http://www.os2fan2.com/files/ghostpe.md5

The md5 file contains both the files inside the RAR file and the RAR itself.

Still no easy way into the upload server.