Windows 8 (Build 8250) CP x86 guidance needed

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Kushanna

Windows 8 (Build 8250) CP x86 guidance needed

Post by Kushanna »

Hello all,

Would like to ask for your assistance with getting the Windows 8 (Build 8250) CP x86 to be as close to as a fully functional OS for this spec computer:

Medion MAM2020
Processor: AMD Athlon XP-M 3000+
RAM: 2GB DDR
Graphics: S3 32MB shares (Windows 8 CP makes it an amazing 256MB with the Microsoft Basic driver.
256GB PATA SSD
64GB CF PCMCIA (For Virtual box Legacy OS's Win3.1 - WinXP)
N1 wifi mini PCI.

This computer has followed me around the world since 2003 and I have slowly upgraded it over the course of 12 years. Now that Windows 8 does not support the processors with just SSE instruction sets, I have settled for the Windows 8 CP 8250 build as my last resort of keeping my computer up to date. Unless I learn how to use Bochs instruction set emulator and install windows 8 on top of that, I just fear that would make the laptop far too slow to use.

This build however appears to make the laptop run faster than it did with Windows 7. So far I have no need for the Store apps, the desktop apps are enough for me! Even things like Skype (Without video) Line (With video) office and all other normal useful applications seem to run with it. Even found a version of Google chrome that makes internet surfing seamless. Just have two issues with it:

1. Due to no longer able to activating it, the customization side is very difficult to deal with. So far I can get rid of the water mark; change the boot logo; change the lock screen and even the background. I would like to know however, of a way to just make this function within the OS available without the activation.

2. Unable to use software that requires DotNetfx4.5 or above. Although this is installed, I am unable to update it to the latest revisions of its code and therefore, applications will crash and give CL code errors. Is there anyway of fooling the systems to accepting these updates despite the 6.0.8250 image? FYI I used the Microsoft catalogue to get the full list of Windows consumer preview updates to make it as stable as possible. Some new windows 8 updates do in fact install also, but not many of them.

Are either of these possible to resolve? Sorry for the long description. This is my first post to the forum :)

Thanks in advance!
If you are tired and cannot sleep. Then take some Dreamy Sleepy Nightie Snoozy Snooze. Banned in most European Countries so it must be good!

skywalker06
Donator

Re: Windows 8 (Build 8250) CP x86 guidance needed

Post by skywalker06 »

I wouldn't have a beta version as your main os on your computer, I would stick with 7

Kushanna

Post by Kushanna »

Fair comment skywalker06. The Windows 7 shall still be on the laptop as that is fully functional. Just not as good as the Windows 8 if I am honest. The laptop currently has three partitions:

Windows 8 CP 8250, Windows 7 Professional and Lubuntu 14.

This Windows 8 image is the only image that will work with this CPU architecture. So I hope to find someone with the solutions :)

In addition I have come across something else that would be good to figure out. Being able to use the metro snap function while at the 1024x720 resolution. That is the highest the laptop screen will go. Working on an external monitor however, it will allow the metro snap function to work. I tried the registry trick of forcing the snap to always work as well documented elsewhere on the internet but alas, this build does not react to it.

Any suggestions on any of these would be much appreciated :)
If you are tired and cannot sleep. Then take some Dreamy Sleepy Nightie Snoozy Snooze. Banned in most European Countries so it must be good!

Kushanna

Post by Kushanna »

Apologies for the double post!

I was able to over come the obstacles with the personalization of the OS and the CL errors from the NetFx3 and 4. However I feel that the whole project of getting this OS working for my old laptop may now be in vain as I have come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU6Clj5wS8

This tutorial shows how to install Windows 8.1 on a non SSE2/NX supported CPU. This example was used on a Pentium 4 processor which I thought came with the SSE2 instruction set in the Northwood architecture and SSE3 in the Prescott architecture. I will give this a go however, and will let you know of the results using the AMD Athlon-XP Mobile 3000+. It will be interesting to see what the stability will be like!

In addition it would be amazing if this same process also worked on the Windows 10 TP / retail (When it comes out) as it requires that little bit less performance than Windows 8.1.

fred30w

Post by fred30w »

Kushanna wrote:Apologies for the double post!

I was able to over come the obstacles with the personalization of the OS and the CL errors from the NetFx3 and 4. However I feel that the whole project of getting this OS working for my old laptop may now be in vain as I have come across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU6Clj5wS8

This tutorial shows how to install Windows 8.1 on a non SSE2/NX supported CPU. This example was used on a Pentium 4 processor which I thought came with the SSE2 instruction set in the Northwood architecture and SSE3 in the Prescott architecture. I will give this a go however, and will let you know of the results using the AMD Athlon-XP Mobile 3000+. It will be interesting to see what the stability will be like!

In addition it would be amazing if this same process also worked on the Windows 10 TP / retail (When it comes out) as it requires that little bit less performance than Windows 8.1.
Ah yes, I remember this project. I have a Gateway 7330GZ with a Mobile Pentium 4 that has SSE2 but no Execute Bit support. Using the same program in the video you posted, Windows 8.1 still works fine. But just be careful, stability is not guaranteed since developers and their applications are to expect SSE2 instructions available on all Windows 8 computers. So if a program tries to execute one, it'll crash, might even crash the whole OS as well. One a side note, Windows Updates tend to restore the CPU checks, so you'll have to redo some of the steps to re-patch the files again a few times.

Now I rarely use that Gateway with Windows 8 installed, haven't encountered a crash yet, but I don't use any Modern apps on it. I would assume those are the types of apps that would use the newer CPU instructions over time. Not trying to discourage you or anything, it was quite fun getting Windows 8 up and running! :)

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

That patch is only good on Pentium 4's. I tried Windows 8 on an Athlon 4 (similar to XP), and while the system would boot, the logonui process would continually crash, start, and crash again due to lack of SSE2. I was able to connect to it using PSexec and cmd.exe. Windows PE works with no problem.

Windows 8.1 works wonderfully on a Pentium 4 HT with 2 GB RAM with NX patch and hyperthreading patches applied. I seem to recall that the CP has issues with lack of SSE2 or maybe it was because the Athlon system had 256 MB RAM. :) Aero completely kills it though (only 16MB S3 graphics).

Windows 10 is out of the question. I tried patching the kernel and I couldn't bypass the signature check. Newer builds get stuck in a boot loop at the boot loader.
Goldfish64

Kushanna

Post by Kushanna »

Thanks for the replys! I have managed to get Windows 8CP to work normally as if it was the latest Windows 8. Put a few windows 10 theme patches to it and a mobile version of office 2010 and all is working well! Shame I cannot get the store to work but for now this is good enough.

I was unable to get the full Windows 8.1 working as the lack of SSE2 instruction set made it impossible to get around.

My bad for the late post, unexpectedly got autoimmune disease which knocked me out for a year.