Interesting find in Whistler Build 2428

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
TheChrississin

Interesting find in Whistler Build 2428

Post by TheChrississin »

Hi guys,

I've been experimenting with Whistler 2428 in VMWare and while looking at the task bar options, I found a picture including the start button of 2415 lab06, with the old windows logo inside of Luna.
http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .87714.PNG

The original start button in 2415 (no screenshot because build isn't leaked, this photo was taken at a presentation and was fetched off BetaArchives):
http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .22788.jpg

Maybe some people haven't found it yet so I thought I'd like to share it! :)
Last edited by TheChrississin on Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris

- AMD FX 8150 8x4,00GHz, 16GB RAM - Windows 7
- AMD Singlecore 2,4GHz, 2GB RAM - Windows XP
- Medion Akoya E1222: Intel Atom 2x1,6GHz, 1GB RAM - Longhorn 4042

betaluva
Donator

Re: Interesting find in Whistler Build 2428

Post by betaluva »

interesting find ( i think other people have found this before) it be nicer if you found a 2415 iso lol!
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

TheChrississin wrote:Hi guys,

I've been experimenting with Whistler 2428 in VMWare and while looking at the task bar options, I found a picture including the start button of 2415 lab06, with the old windows logo inside of Luna.
http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .87714.PNG

The original start button in 2415 (no screenshot because build isn't leaked, this photo was taken at a presentation and was fetched off BetaArchives):
http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .22788.jpg

Maybe some people haven't found it yet so I thought I'd like to share it! :)

-Chris
Cool. Wish 2415 was leaked. I would love to see how Luna looks with the old Windows Flag, outside of those crappy low resolution pictures. However, I noticed on the presentation picture, the Start menu looks different (different icons, nice transition gradient on the left pane), while on the screenshot on the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, the menu looks identical to XP, just the button is different.
Do Not Make Illegal Copies Of This Signature.
YouTube | Twitter | BA Wiki | BetaWiki

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

Windows OS wrote:Cool. Wish 2415 was leaked. I would love to see how Luna looks with the old Windows Flag, outside of those crappy low resolution pictures. However, I noticed on the presentation picture, the Start menu looks different (different icons, nice transition gradient on the left pane), while on the screenshot on the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, the menu looks identical to XP, just the button is different.
Yeah, I agree. I would have loved to see 2415 leaked, explore the very first version of Luna with the old Windows flag and stuff!
I noticed the same, maybe they already updated that or included it in earlier builds with Watercolor, but they definitely took the 2415 Luna start button :D
-Chris

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

I recently tried to recreate the start button how it might have looked in 2415. I could upload the explorer.exe, if needed!
-Chris

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Not really a discovery, I already know about it, and you can't be sure if it is really from 2415.lab06, since there's no buildtag in that low res picture.

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

This low-res picture is actually not a screenshot of the real 2415.lab06 of course, you can also see that in the start menu which is the same as in the RTM Windows XP. 2415's start menu looked quite different, as seen on the conference picture. But the start button looks like the one in the 2415.lab06, which is afaik the only build to include this start button. Correct me if I'm wrong!
-Chris

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

That's what I said on my post:
Windows OS wrote:However, I noticed on the presentation picture, the Start menu looks different (different icons, nice transition gradient on the left pane), while on the screenshot on the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, the menu looks identical to XP, just the button is different.
Start from 2415 (with gradient [vaguely] marked):
Personally, I think the 2415 Start Menu looks really good judging from the picture. I really like that transition gradient effect on the left pane. Again, wish we had at least a screen cap of that build.
Anyway, I got a idea. Maybe we could try to use the 2428 Luna theme on a build that still used the Watercolor theme, like 2419. What will happen? Will it even work?

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

Windows OS wrote:Anyway, I got a idea. Maybe we could try to use the 2428 Luna theme on a build that still used the Watercolor theme, like 2419. What will happen? Will it even work?
The theme format has changed drastically between 2419 and 2428

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

On 2410, Luna theme didn't work, also when renaming the file from .msstyles to .msthemes (obviously). The explorer.exe gave me an error, saying that something's wrong with shell32.dll, so I replaced that dll and it bluescreened on the login screen. I don't think we'd get to see that, unless someone's willing to port it to 2419 or earlier. It'd be really cool to see though!

-Edit:
This is the error Whistler is giving me when logging on:

After this, the screen is just blank and I have to restart the original explorer.exe using task manager. What I noticed is that shell32.dll is double the size in 2428 (6MB) than it is in 2410 (3MB).
Last edited by TheChrississin on Mon May 25, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

TheChrississin wrote:On 2410, Luna theme didn't work, also when renaming the file from .msstyles to .msthemes (obviously). The explorer.exe gave me an error, saying that something's wrong with shell32.dll, so I replaced that dll and it bluescreened on the login screen. I don't think we'd get to see that, unless someone's willing to port it to 2419 or earlier. It'd be really cool to see though!
I've tried porting Luna to 2410 a long time ago by transplanting the BMPs from Luna to Watercolor, It didn't see the theme due to its digital signature being broken, So to do that, You need to patch uxtheme.dll so it can use unsigned themes, I don't know if that's possible to do on 2419 or earlier.

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

MSUser2013 wrote:
TheChrississin wrote:On 2410, Luna theme didn't work, also when renaming the file from .msstyles to .msthemes (obviously). The explorer.exe gave me an error, saying that something's wrong with shell32.dll, so I replaced that dll and it bluescreened on the login screen. I don't think we'd get to see that, unless someone's willing to port it to 2419 or earlier. It'd be really cool to see though!
I've tried porting Luna to 2410 a long time ago by transplanting the BMPs from Luna to Watercolor, It didn't see the theme due to its digital signature being broken, So to do that, You need to patch uxtheme.dll so it can use unsigned themes, I don't know if that's possible to do on 2419 or earlier.
I don't know if that's possible, as the official uxpatcher doesn't support anything earlier than XP RTM (I think). So I believe that either, uxpatcher would bluescreen on me or it would break uxtheme.dll so you have to patch it manually. I will try running uxpatcher on it and see!

-Edit:
Just tried Uxtheme MultiPatcher and UxStyle (second advertised as working for Windows Whistler Escrow Builds) but both gave me errors..
-Chris

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

TheChrississin wrote:Just tried Uxtheme MultiPatcher and UxStyle (second advertised as working for Windows Whistler Escrow Builds) but both gave me errors..
What are the errors? Also Whistler Escrow Builds are Pre-RTMs, Which means UxStyle is intended to work on Build 2535 at earliest, May work on 2505 at a stretch but that's not what we want to patch, So if no patcher works, Then you have to patch it manually.

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

MSUser2013 wrote:
TheChrississin wrote:Just tried Uxtheme MultiPatcher and UxStyle (second advertised as working for Windows Whistler Escrow Builds) but both gave me errors..
What are the errors? Also Whistler Escrow Builds are Pre-RTMs, Which means UxStyle is intended to work on Build 2535 at earliest, May work on 2505 at a stretch but that's not what we want to patch, So if no patcher works, Then you have to patch it manually.
This is the error for Uxtheme MultiPatcher:

And this for UxStyle:

The second one could probably be resolved in some way, but I don't exactly know how. And to be honest, I don't really know how to patch it manually.. xD
-Chris

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

There are ports of Watercolor for XP RTM, for those who are curious:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/32604-watercolor-v43/
However, this might just be a complete rebuild of Watercolor for the XP theme engine. It is still cool to have the theme for XP.

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

Windows OS wrote:There are ports of Watercolor for XP RTM, for those who are curious:
However, this might just be a complete rebuild of Watercolor for the XP theme engine. It is still cool to have the theme for XP.
Interesting! However, I would really love to see that for Windows 7. I think it's pretty easy to make it by modifying the classic scheme of it.
-Chris

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Windows OS wrote:There are ports of Watercolor for XP RTM, for those who are curious:

Thanks for the theme, I tried to look for this before

Offtopic Comment
When I tried to download that, it gave me a Avast Antivirus Notification Alert and Detected it and it had [Trj] on it

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

johnleakedfan wrote:
Offtopic Comment
When I tried to download that, it gave me a Avast Antivirus Notification Alert and Detected it and it had [Trj] on it
According to Avast's security blog, Trj, or Win32:Patched, is just patched Windows System Files. I think it just doesn't like the patched shellstyle.dll files for the theme. Plus, I ran VirusTotal on the file, only Symantec said it was anything bad, not that even, since it was detected as "WS.Reputation.1", which is not really a type of malicious file, but more like a label Symantec uses for files "have a low reputation score based on analyzing data from Symantec’s community of users and therefore are likely to be security risks". This is infamous in the security community, with most files with this are just false positives. I never had any problems with the theme myself. So the file is safe.

MicroBetaMan

Post by MicroBetaMan »

This site seems to have a lot of information about 2415. Cannot find a way to translate it though. There are multiple pictures of the builds and some misc. links at the bottom. I really wonder what it's trying to say. For all we know, they have the original beta copy with them...

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/arti ... /ces02.htm
Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. - George Bernard Shaw

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

MicroBetaMan wrote:This site seems to have a lot of information about 2415. Cannot find a way to translate it though. There are multiple pictures of the builds and some misc. links at the bottom. I really wonder what it's trying to say. For all we know, they have the original beta copy with them...

Use Bing Translator set to Japanese. It's a bit messed up, and I cannot get a link directly to the translation, but it works:
http://www.bing.com/translator/

frogz2007

Post by frogz2007 »

This is the one build of Whistler I wish would leak. the Windows 9x flag on the button looks so good compared to the final, boring XP flag. I wish that somebody would come forward and leak it for us to enjoy.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

@MicroBetaMan: Actually, the build was shown at some conference (CES 2001 I believe) so I highly doubt they have the binaries of this build.
Anyway, I really am interested where this project goes, I'll keep an eye on it. :)

Schezo

Post by Schezo »

TheChrississin wrote: This is the error for Uxtheme MultiPatcher:

The "Windows was not able to process the application binding information." error from the screenshot sounds strikingly similar to the problem of running programs with a newer manifest file in some early Whistler builds, even though the manifest format should have been finalized by this build.

You could try to use a resource editor like Resource Hacker to change/remove the manifest from the program anyway.

Windows OS

Post by Windows OS »

Schezo wrote:The "Windows was not able to process the application binding information." error from the screenshot sounds strikingly similar to the problem of running programs with a newer manifest file in some early Whistler builds, even though the manifest format should have been finalized by this build.

You could try to use a resource editor like Resource Hacker to change/remove the manifest from the program anyway.
I was able to get UXTheme Multi-Patcher running. However, when it was doing the patch, Windows Installer complained that improper command line parameters were used. It might had still patched it, but I don't know, since I do not have the modified Luna theme. Chris, could you upload your modified Luna theme for 2419? And could anyone help me with the error?

UPDATE: I noticed that on the OS line on the program, it says "Microsoft Windows 2000 (Beta) 32-bit". It might be detecting that this is a beta copy of Whistler and it might be trying to patch it, but there is still the Windows Installer error. If anyone wants the Virtual Hard Disk image of the machine, I can upload it to Mega for you.

Screenshot #1 (UXTheme Multi-Patcher Splash Screen)
Screenshot #2 (Windows Installer Error)
Screenshot #3 (UXTheme Reporting Success)

TheChrississin

Post by TheChrississin »

MicroBetaMan wrote:This site seems to have a lot of information about 2415. Cannot find a way to translate it though. There are multiple pictures of the builds and some misc. links at the bottom. I really wonder what it's trying to say. For all we know, they have the original beta copy with them...

Thanks a lot for this website, it's really cool to see more pictures of it!
Schezo wrote:The "Windows was not able to process the application binding information." error from the screenshot sounds strikingly similar to the problem of running programs with a newer manifest file in some early Whistler builds, even though the manifest format should have been finalized by this build.

I will have a look at it later. Do you know by any chance where the manifest is located in resource hacker?
Windows OS wrote: I was able to get UXTheme Multi-Patcher running. However, when it was doing the patch, Windows Installer complained that improper command line parameters were used. It might had still patched it, but I don't know, since I do not have the modified Luna theme. Chris, could you upload your modified Luna theme for 2419?
I don't have the Luna theme for 2419 (not sure if you mean me or MSUser2013, sorry xD ), but if you want the modified explorer.exe for 2428 (with the start button being a recreation of the 2415 start button), here you go:

https://mega.co.nz/#!CEAwXQqT!_yfkNOoH9 ... RGWGPwSnhc

In order to use it (for the people who don't know), you have to paste this into the windows directory (I named it Explorer2.exe so you can still use the old Explorer if any errors occur), then run regedit, go to key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" and change "Shell" from "Explorer.exe" to "Explorer2.exe", then restart. :)
Windows OS wrote: If anyone wants the Virtual Hard Disk image of the machine, I can upload it to Mega for you.
I'd be greatful if you upload it! :)
-Chris