OS X 10.11 Rumored... [confirmed]

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
longhornwhistler
Donator

OS X 10.11 Rumored... [confirmed]

Post by longhornwhistler »

Looks like OS X 10.11 is going to be shown at WDC 2015. Rumored it will be for "under-the-hood" performance improvements.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/softwa ... rs-1294317

EDIT: Confirmed, OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"
Last edited by James on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to clarify
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

AlexN
Donator

Re: OS X 10.11 Rumored...

Post by AlexN »

This article is basically stating what I was wanting with Lion... and then Mavericks... and then Yosemite...

In all seriousness, this article really brings to light how far behind OSX is in some areas, Although right now, an increase in performance would be nice. It runs terribly on a white MacBook
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

They did great speed enhances on Mavericks as well as Yosemite. But you running it on an old Core2Duo system would probably explain your bad experience with it rather than the OS itself. Get some more RAM into that system, install an SSD and it should be a lot faster. I've only experienced better and better performance with the latest OSX versions, but I never attempted to run any of them on a 8 year old system... Do you really expect to get great performance on that machine?
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

nathaniel87
Donator

Post by nathaniel87 »

mrpijey wrote:Get some more RAM into that system, install an SSD and it should be a lot faster.
I wholeheartedly second the SSD suggestion. An SSD made an entire world of difference for the performance of Mavericks on my fiancee's 2011 Macbook Pro.

longhornwhistler
Donator

I completely agree with the performance thing. My church's computer has been slow since we run video presentation software, virtual machines, video editing software, and music editing software all at once, long story on that one.
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

Cool, But I'm not gonna be able to use it because the newest Mac I have is from 2006 and can only run up to Snow Leopard, I'm more of a PC user than a Mac user.
mrpijey wrote:Get some more RAM into that system, install an SSD and it should be a lot faster.
Offtopic Comment
Or you could just pick it up, throw it away, and go buy another Mac. (quote from the "Why Macs Suck - Rooster Teeth" video)

James

Post by James »

Well, we'll see how a hypothetical 10.11 performs. My iMac is a Core 2 Duo machine and it's sluggish as ever on Yosemite, but it has 4GB of RAM and a standard 3.5'' 2TB SATA drive.

When my MacBook Pro shows up next week, we'll see the speed difference, eh? :P

Courage

Post by Courage »

It will be amazing if I ever see one copy of OS X 10.11 (or anything >10.5.8) in my house... seeing as the only Mac I have is an iBook G4. :P However, I do like the direction OS X is going in.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well, don't expect any miracles as Apple don't take such old machines into consideration when building an OS aimed primarily for modern machines...

longhornwhistler
Donator

Very true, mrpijey. Now that they are getting closer to being as vulnerable as PCs to viruses I am assuming they may have a huge decrease in sales. Then afterwards, the price will get lowered and it will be the same as PC, losing the competition.

James

Post by James »

mrpijey wrote:Well, don't expect any miracles as Apple don't take such old machines into consideration when building an OS aimed primarily for modern machines...
Well, that's irrelevant considering OS X hasn't run on PowerPC processors in 8 years...

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

James wrote:
mrpijey wrote:Well, don't expect any miracles as Apple don't take such old machines into consideration when building an OS aimed primarily for modern machines...
Well, that's irrelevant considering OS X hasn't run on PowerPC processors in 8 years...
Who said anything about PowerPC? An old Core2Duo is old as well and won't be far up on the devs priority list to support and maintain. Because you can run x64 code on an old CPU doesn't mean all versions of the OS will always work smoothly and nice on it forever. So trying to shove a modern OS onto an old and underpowered CPU will only result in a lot of waiting and beach balls :). Remember, it's not just the harddrive that has to keep up, but the CPU, chipset and RAM as well. Even if you got 8GB of slow DDR2 RAM it will still be slow due to the low bandwidth, slow memory management and processing of the chipset as well as other factors. A new system with less RAM can actually be faster than an older system with more RAM as everything else speeds up as well.
gabegriggs1 wrote:Very true, mrpijey. Now that they are getting closer to being as vulnerable as PCs to viruses I am assuming they may have a huge decrease in sales. Then afterwards, the price will get lowered and it will be the same as PC, losing the competition.
First of all, viruses hasn't really existed on a PC or Mac since the old DOS-based times (including Win9x line), so I suggest you use the word "malware" if you are unsure about the differences between viruses, trojans and other malware. Anyway, I doubt the resistance against malware is the driving force behind Mac OS users, but rather the simplified UI and integrated services that are common and well developed in the OS X community (including Apples other products). When you pay for Apple hardware you pay for the right to use OS X/iOS but also for the design and quality of Apple products. Not saying that non-Apple products lack these qualities, but most Apple customers stick with Apple for the same reason Android users stick with Android, or Volvo drivers stick with Volvo... they know the product, the environment, ecosystem and are familiar with all its features and uses. So Apple will most likely keep premium prices for their premium products for a while longer as they lack low value/low quality products in their product lines (depending on what you call low price of course, for some 300 bucks for an iPad is cheap, for others it's a fortune).

Courage

Post by Courage »

mrpijey wrote:
James wrote:
Who said anything about PowerPC? An old Core2Duo is old as well and won't be far up on the devs priority list to support and maintain. Because you can run x64 code on an old CPU doesn't mean all versions of the OS will always work smoothly and nice on it forever. So trying to shove a modern OS onto an old and underpowered CPU will only result in a lot of waiting and beach balls :). Remember, it's not just the harddrive that has to keep up, but the CPU, chipset and RAM as well. Even if you got 8GB of slow DDR2 RAM it will still be slow due to the low bandwidth, slow memory management and processing of the chipset as well as other factors. A new system with less RAM can actually be faster than an older system with more RAM as everything else speeds up as well.
gabegriggs1 wrote:Very true, mrpijey. Now that they are getting closer to being as vulnerable as PCs to viruses I am assuming they may have a huge decrease in sales. Then afterwards, the price will get lowered and it will be the same as PC, losing the competition.
First of all, viruses hasn't really existed on a PC or Mac since the old DOS-based times (including Win9x line), so I suggest you use the word "malware" if you are unsure about the differences between viruses, trojans and other malware. Anyway, I doubt the resistance against malware is the driving force behind Mac OS users, but rather the simplified UI and integrated services that are common and well developed in the OS X community (including Apples other products). When you pay for Apple hardware you pay for the right to use OS X/iOS but also for the design and quality of Apple products. Not saying that non-Apple products lack these qualities, but most Apple customers stick with Apple for the same reason Android users stick with Android, or Volvo drivers stick with Volvo... they know the product, the environment, ecosystem and are familiar with all its features and uses. So Apple will most likely keep premium prices for their premium products for a while longer as they lack low value/low quality products in their product lines (depending on what you call low price of course, for some 300 bucks for an iPad is cheap, for others it's a fortune).
These are very true, and I agree with all of you. However, some people are missing the fact that I don't have an Intel Mac to begin with. (The iBook G4 is a PPC Mac.)

occ0390

Post by occ0390 »

Cannot wait)

James

Post by James »

Survey says, it's OS X El Capitan! WWDC has begun!

AlexN
Donator

Re: OS X 10.11 Rumored... [confirmed]

Post by AlexN »

Woah, just came back to this thread. Didn't realize I sparked so much of a conversation. My good ol' White MB actually doesn't run terribly now that I've worked with it a bit (I purchased it from my school and it turns out they left a bunch of their proprietary crapware on). Still though, I Used to have one running Windows 8.1, and I had zero problems with it. Now my current one is OK, but sometimes programs falter loading. It is nice enough that I'm finding myself using it more than my much newer 2 in 1. Yeah, I do want an SSD, but I simply can't afford one. I did upgrade the RAM to 4gb, and I might be able to push that up to 6 or 8. Overall though, after some tweaking it's a surprisingly solid machine, so I'm pretty hype for some of those features that I sorely miss from Windows. (Read: SNAPPING WINDOWS FREAKING FINALLY)
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323