Short downtime

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

Short downtime

Post by Andy »

A server reboot didn't go as planned and took much longer than normal after a disk check was being run during the reboot. I grew impatient after nearly 2 hours and cancelled the disk check to bring the server back up.

Andy (Admin)

The Distractor

Re: Short downtime

Post by The Distractor »

Yeah, yeah, blame autochk/chkdsk :P

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

I thought it was that, I couldnt get on the FTP site or here, And I didnt know what else to do :cry:

Glad it is Back, back to downloading :beta:'s

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

I don't know what the issue is right now but the server is not right at all. Something is making it unhappy. Thankfully it's come back up so I can go to bed whilst it runs tests...

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

Andy wrote:I don't know what the issue is right now but the server is not right at all. Something is making it unhappy. Thankfully it's come back up so I can go to bed whilst it runs tests...
how fast is downloading supposed to be, I get only ~300 Kb/s :?

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

johnleakedfan wrote:
Andy wrote:I don't know what the issue is right now but the server is not right at all. Something is making it unhappy. Thankfully it's come back up so I can go to bed whilst it runs tests...

I have always gotten 300 - 330 Kb/s on downloads. However, if I download multiple files, they all download at 300 - 330 Kb/s. I guess the limit per file is set to around 330 Kb/s. I can also upload at 500 - 510 Kb/s.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

DarkenMoon wrote:
johnleakedfan wrote:

I have always gotten 300 - 330 Kb/s on downloads. However, if I download multiple files, they all download at 300 - 330 Kb/s. I guess the limit per file is set to around 330 Kb/s. I can also upload at 500 - 510 Kb/s.

Getting the same speed for multiple files downloading, they dont interfere with the speed of each other which is good I guess

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

johnleakedfan wrote:
DarkenMoon wrote:
johnleakedfan wrote:

Getting the same speed for multiple files downloading, they dont interfere with the speed of each other which is good I guess
What's wrong? I get over 1 MB/s almost everytime, sometimes close to 2 MB/s...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Speed is limited by network conditions and latency between you and the server. There is nothing I can do to change that.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

It seems to be only people from the US that get around 300kb/s DL speed. If they could only have a server in NA.
By the way, I also noticed that the site was down. Now I know what was going on.

johnleakedfan

Post by johnleakedfan »

computebrute wrote:It seems to be only people from the US that get around 300kb/s DL speed. If they could only have a server in NA.
By the way, I also noticed that the site was down. Now I know what was going on.
I actually dont care too much about the Down. Speed, but atleast I am getting more betas in my collection, which I been dying for (Ex:Windows 2000 Betas)

DarkenMoon
Donator

Post by DarkenMoon »

I can do 100 - 110 Megabits per second, only if I download lots of files though, but each file remains capped at 330 KB/s, for whatever reason. If it was an issue with latency and peering, wouldn't I only get 330 KB/s across all files I am downloading at once, and not just single files? I can fully saturate my connection if I download a lot of files at once, but not if I download only 1 file.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The speed of each connection is restricted by latency, further impaired by bad network conditions. Just because your connection is capable of it does not mean it can do it when it comes down to the limitations in TCP/IP.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

I would kill to get 300KB/s downloads for ANYTHING.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

dw5304
Donator

Post by dw5304 »

i can say from an fiber link in the states i can get 3mbps w/o issues so its likely the isp you are with and what they are paying for uplink to the transalantic cable :).