How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
7delta

How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.

Post by 7delta »

Hey, I have a set of floppy disks that have garbage written over the logos in sharpie.
The floppies are printed like the ones below, so they don't have write in labels. I heard that rubbing alcohol can remove sharpie, is this true for my case?

ps I may or may not of wrote that on them a very very very long time ago

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: How do I remove sharpies from a floppydisk lable.

Post by mrpijey »

If you rub alcohol on paper tags then you will destroy the labels. Unfortunately there's not much you can do here... if it's on plastic discs you can always use alcohol to remove it, but not on paper labels. The best we can do is photoshop it out, but that's always difficult as well.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

7delta

Post by 7delta »

mrpijey wrote:If you rub alcohol on paper tags then you will destroy the labels. Unfortunately there's not much you can do here... if it's on plastic discs you can always use alcohol to remove it, but not on paper labels. The best we can do is photoshop it out, but that's always difficult as well.
I do have some skills in Photoshop fortunately so that wouldn't be a issue. Thanks for the response!

pittical

Post by pittical »

This won't help you with labels, but here's a bit of background info: Alcohol is used to solve (most of) the ink so it can be wiped away. In cases where alcohol is too weak, melamine foam ("Magic Eraser") often works wonders. But like alcohol, that too is for superficial stains (e.g. on plastic) only, too - it works like really fine sandpaper, basically (so maybe better don't try it on rare/expensive optical discs). With paper labels though, unfortunately the ink soaks deep into the material and won't really come out either way.

snoopy6489

Post by snoopy6489 »

7delta wrote:
mrpijey wrote:If you rub alcohol on paper tags then you will destroy the labels. Unfortunately there's not much you can do here... if it's on plastic discs you can always use alcohol to remove it, but not on paper labels. The best we can do is photoshop it out, but that's always difficult as well.
I do have some skills in Photoshop fortunately so that wouldn't be a issue. Thanks for the response!
I can do it when i get some free time im good at photoshop.

milatchi
Donator

Post by milatchi »

My first thought was some variant of acetone. I found the link below which is a much more well thought out plan for removing permanent marker with Acetone. Hope it helps.
I used pure acetone (its an ingredient of fingernail polish) and a Q-tip. I got most of the color out doing this. Then to get out areas with concentrated ink saturation: wait for the acetone on the paper to mostly dry, put a little bit of white out over the stubborn spot, and then use a Q-tip soaked in acetone to gently wipe off the white out. The ink should come out as well. Just be careful you do not get the paper so saturated that it starts to peel
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf153383.tip.html
IRIX enthusiast | OSBA refugee

curti21

Post by curti21 »

That would probably make the paper all wrinkly or something. Using Photoshop would be less of a hassle.

Diamond

Post by Diamond »

Offtopic Comment
Be careful, they might be creepypasta discs! :P
Ya, it would be better to photoshop it out. Rubbing it with alcohol might have bad consequences.