Sector not found?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
fexuaz555

Sector not found?

Post by fexuaz555 »

When I make startup disk on setup, setup says sector not found. What is the 'sector'?

I made the 1.44MB image file using UltraISO (with Dos sector) and formatted using the command, format
Main OS : Windows XP
Windows 9x Series : Good! Windows 2000 Good! Windows Vista : Not bad Windows 7 : Very good!
Windows XP = Love!!

user99672
Donator

Re: Sector not found?

Post by user99672 »

Vague Post.

Are you strictly talking about a boot sector? Or just any sector on the disk? What are your intentions (as indicated by the wording 'when I make startup disk')? What is 'setup' in this case?

Also, if you're really that confused about disk sectors (which doesn't completely appear to be the case, I think you may have some understanding of it?) read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_sector

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Sector not found indicates that it has not been formatted correctly. Maybe you're trying to write a 3.5'' image to a 5.25'' disk or vice-versa?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

fexuaz555 wrote:When I make startup disk on setup, setup says sector not found. What is the 'sector'?
The emulator you're using does not emulate the FDC format command. This is a case, for example, with PCem (original, not PCem-X, PCem-X has that fixed) and Windows 9x Setup uses it when making a startup disk.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.