Are these of any value ?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
phardstaff

Are these of any value ?

Post by phardstaff »

Hi guys, was just wondering if you had these or even if they are of any interest ? disks long gone, images have survived many years by being copied to many places. Have these as IMZ and VFD, all screenshots from Hyper-V on Windows 8 booting VFD.

Battler
Donator

Re: Are these of any value ?

Post by Battler »

Yes, they are. Please upload them somewhere.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Sadly, your PC-DOS 2.00 and 3.10 disks are not genuine and as such are only of slight interest here. The others might be authentic and some of them are probably still missing from the FTP, so for these: yes, please upload :)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

phardstaff

Post by phardstaff »

Will do so this weekend. By the way, the IBM PC DOS 7.0 I have all 6 disks, original. But am guessing that's not so rare?

Also have this below, diskette is in perfect condition, has been in a controlled environment all it's life. Anyone wants it to make an image please let me know as I no longer have access to any 5.25" drives, as long as you can post it back to me as it goes with the manual.

phardstaff

Post by phardstaff »

All above images uploaded and then some as of about 10 minutes ago. Enjoy

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Where do you live? If you can send to Germany I could create a KryoFlux dump for you. I think mrpijey himself would also be more than willing :) Depending on the type and size of manual and how easy it is to scan I could also do that if you want.

Of course I would send the package back after dumping it.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

BzzBR
Donator

Post by BzzBR »

Darkstar wrote:Where do you live? If you can send to Germany I could create a KryoFlux dump for you. I think mrpijey himself would also be more than willing :) Depending on the type and size of manual and how easy it is to scan I could also do that if you want.

Of course I would send the package back after dumping it.
If you live in US, I can do the same ( KryoFlux/SCP images). Just PM me.
Don't have a Kyroflux Board? PM me. I can dump the floppies for you (US only).
Want to buy a vintage software on ebay but don't have a mail address in US? PM me. I can re-ship the software for you. (vintage software only/you pay the cost for re-ship)

phardstaff

Post by phardstaff »

hi guys, I live the other side of the planet, New Caledonia. but will flick it off to one of you, cost for me will be the same to either so maybe I just go with first offer. Am just happy to make sure it gets imaged somehow. The manuals are original IBM operations manuals. I didn't know I had that disk till I went looking last week after finding this forum. For the manuals I found volume 2 on the net here http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/51xx_manuals.htm (he has no disk image) and from there http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals ... olume2.pdf but not volume 1. Could not even find one to buy anywhere?

Heres what I have, so maybe volume 1 might worth scanning ?

You will notice the PC one has the diagnostics software on cassette :)

PS Also just found a copy of Microsoft Typing Tutor 1979 for TRS-80 on Cassette, in perfect condition. With manual and cassette. Part No. 10G02 see here http://www.old-computers.com/museum/sof ... t=1&id=728 Anyone ?

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Wow, that is some really nice stuff. I agree that Volume 1 of the manuals will probably not need to be scanned, as the scan quality of the PDF you linked to is pretty darn good (it is even OCR'd for fulltext search!)

Also, I didn't know of that site and will mirror it ASAP (and tip off Al Kossow of Bitsavers, just in case he doesn't know it either) :-D

I don't know about that cassette though. I mean I do have a tape deck and could probably do a dump at 96kHz/32bit (the maximum my onboard audio supports) but I don't know if that is good enough for a working dump, or if my tape deck can even supply adequate quality... But I guess an upper frequency limit of 48kHz should be enough, and slight inconsistencies in tape speed (due to age of the motor/drives) shouldn't cause any huge issues either. I mean back in the 90's we copied C64 games with the "high speed dubbing" function of sub-100$ "hifi" decks and they worked, so I guess the computer interface was quite tolerant :)

Please check what shipping to Europe would cost you, I'd be willing to even reimburse you for shipping, as this looks like something that's really worth preserving

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Dumping that audio tape would be great as well. 96KHz/32bit should be more than enough, and I think still better than not trying. Converting it to any meaningful data is an another matter though. Just be sure you don't save it as mpeg or anything like that, but in a lossless format (flac, wav, m4a). And don't forget the scans :).

What kind of hardware was that cassette used on anyway? I've rarely seen cassette players for a PC...
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

The early IBM PCs (at least the 5150, maybe others) used cassettes as primary storage:

That was sufficient if you only used the internal ROM BASIC, no need for a floppy drive :)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Ah, I see. I have one of those 5150 IBM PCs but couldn't remember if it had one of those ports. I guess I have to track down a player for it then so I can test it out properly. I even have a brand new model still sealed, so I never knew if it had a player in it. Thanks for the info.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

phardstaff

Post by phardstaff »

I didn't think of just recording the audio tape because at the end of the day that's all it is :) The IBM cassette interface is very basic and pretty much consists of motor stop / start and and audio in & out. I have a working TRS-80 CTR-80 here https://archive.org/details/CTR-80_Cass ... 19xx_Tandy that seems to have the same pin outs as the IBM. Anyways will get that tape recorded ASAP and get Volume I and the disk in the mail to Darkstar.

BzzBR
Donator

Post by BzzBR »

phardstaff wrote: PS Also just found a copy of Microsoft Typing Tutor 1979 for TRS-80 on Cassette, in perfect condition. With manual and cassette. Part No. 10G02 see here http://www.old-computers.com/museum/sof ... t=1&id=728 Anyone ?
I believe this tape also deservers a dump. If you can also send it to Darkstar, will be great.
mrpijey wrote: ..I have one of those 5150 IBM PCs but couldn't remember if it had one of those ports. I guess I have to track down a player for it then so I can test it out properly. I even have a brand new model still sealed
Wow ! I want one ! :D.
Don't have a Kyroflux Board? PM me. I can dump the floppies for you (US only).
Want to buy a vintage software on ebay but don't have a mail address in US? PM me. I can re-ship the software for you. (vintage software only/you pay the cost for re-ship)

lilysmith22

Post by lilysmith22 »

Yes, these are. You should upload them instantly and may be some of them after some time.
Admin note: Add the spammy signature back again and you will be banned permanently.

rkmbrown
Donator

Post by rkmbrown »

Wish I knew about this web site before I tossed that box of PC Jr. stuff I had :-)