offtopic section locked

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
wasabilee
Permanently Banned

offtopic section locked

Post by wasabilee »

ain't it a bit dumbish to lock out non-ftp people from posting on that subsection ?
can't see logic behind that at all

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Re: offtopic section locked

Post by Archenemy »

Maybe they restricted the Off Topic forum to FTP Access members so their is not as much spam in the Off Topic section.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Maza

Post by Maza »

wasabilee wrote:ain't it a bit dumbish to lock out non-ftp people from posting on that subsection ?
can't see logic behind that at all
I think it's part of an effort to prevent spam. Users won't really be able to post off-topic material until they prove that they're...a valuable asset, if you will, to the site (e.g., by successfully applying for FTP access). If this requirement did not exist, then one can assume that there would be an amount of newly registered members that would probably only post in that subsection (i.e., they would not actually be contributing to the site).

I would have asked why you haven't applied yet, considering that you have more than enough posts, but then I realized that the requirements have changed since I first joined.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

requirement is to stiff some software there

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

As already explained, this requirement is in place to stop spam. We would have done it on post count but it's not possible with the forum software. We had a lot of issues in the past with new users posting only in off topic and posting random rubbish just to get their post count up. Since post count is no longer a requirement too that also eases the problem.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Long story short, you need FTP access in order to view/post in the off topic section. Simple as that.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Actually , I think the original poster has a point. Back in 2011 , when this rule did make sense because of the contribution requirements prevailing them , now it doesn't.

Additionally , with the rise of contributing(post) members who have >20 posts but no FTP access , I think we should allow offtopic access to those:-

either those who have at least 3 posts(username is black)
or those who have atleast 10 posts.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

computebrute wrote:Long story short, you need FTP access in order to view/post in the off topic section. Simple as that.
Long story short you need to learn to read things, tyvm.
x010 wrote:Actually , I think the original poster has a point. Back in 2011 , when this rule did make sense because of the contribution requirements prevailing them , now it doesn't.
exactly that
post count is no more requirement
so this spamming doesn't help anyone to gain anything
and those who don't have ftp-acc should, well at least would be nice to have this section unlocked

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Off topic also does not increase your post count either like it used to.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

well my point isn't in post counting :P
just that especially when ftp-acc don't require it to
that that blockade is... pointless ?

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

I'm jumping on this one. Non FTP members CAN request downloads for themselves (and hopefully others) but not post a desktop screenshot? Or contribute to one of the 3 or 4 projects posted there?
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!