Whistler 2419 Inside VirtualBox - Multiple Setup Errors

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
jasonmerc

Whistler 2419 Inside VirtualBox - Multiple Setup Errors

Post by jasonmerc »

Hello,

I recently acquired Whistler 2419 from the BA FTP server, and attempted to install it in VirtualBox (I am running the latest VirtualBox, an my host OS is Ubuntu 15.04). VirtualBox had no trouble at all booting from the .ISO image and getting through the "blue-screened" process of Windows setup. However, the issue arises when the "blue-screened" phase of setup reboots into the graphical phase. 10 seconds into the install, Whistler says a fatal error occurred preventing it from continuing. Viewing the log file for setup, it appears there are two main problems...

1) The BIOS may be incorrect time/date

2) Windows could not install product catalogs

I did some research, and I could only find a potential solution for the BIOS time/date problem. As far as "Product Catalogs", I have no idea what that could be or how to fix it. According to my research, this most likely occurs when the BIOS date is after the beta version of the OS becomes "invalid", or when the OS's "timebomb goes off". Even though I could not find if I had to reset that Virtual Machine's BIOS to a specific time/date, I found a way to move the BIOS date back in that particular Virtual Machine through a Linux console command, and I supposedly moved it back 15 years (so the date would have been March 2000 in the VM's BIOS). However, I still got the same two errors when setup ran again. I even tried to change the BIOS time/date of the laptop itself, however it seems to "reset" itself to correct time even after I save changes and exit BIOS (damn you HP!!!!)

If anyone can provide info on how to solve these problems so I can continue setup, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

SIDE NOTE: I started this thread on my mobile device, when I return to my laptop at home I will edit this post and provide screenshots of the setup error as well as the setup logs upon request.
Last edited by jasonmerc on Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.
Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends.

beta.a.brian

Re: Whistler 2419Inside VirtualBox - Multiple Setup Errors

Post by beta.a.brian »

The only thing I could find on this is that the RAM configuration is not compatible with Whistler.Maybe you put too much or too little.
#8032forbrian came true

jasonmerc

Re: Whistler 2419Inside VirtualBox - Multiple Setup Errors

Post by jasonmerc »

beta.a.brian wrote:The only thing I could find on this is that the RAM configuration is not compatible with Whistler.Maybe you put too much or too little.
I put in 1024MB (1GB) exactly. I will turn the RAM down to 512MB and see if it is fixed.

EDIT: Nothing changed unfortunately... But I attached a picture of the error log. The rest of the log is just the same errors shown in the image repeated once more.

Courage

Re: Whistler 2419 Inside VirtualBox - Multiple Setup Errors

Post by Courage »

jasonmerc wrote:Hello,

I recently acquired Whistler 2419 from the BA FTP server, and attempted to install it in VirtualBox (I am running the latest VirtualBox, an my host OS is Ubuntu 15.04). VirtualBox had no trouble at all booting from the .ISO image and getting through the "blue-screened" process of Windows setup. However, the issue arises when the "blue-screened" phase of setup reboots into the graphical phase. 10 seconds into the install, Whistler says a fatal error occurred preventing it from continuing. Viewing the log file for setup, it appears there are two main problems...

I did some research, and I could only find a potential solution for the BIOS time/date problem. As far as "Product Catalogs", I have no idea what that could be or how to fix it. According to my research, this most likely occurs when the BIOS date is after the beta version of the OS becomes "invalid", or when the OS's "timebomb goes off". Even though I could not find if I had to reset that Virtual Machine's BIOS to a specific time/date, I found a way to move the BIOS date back in that particular Virtual Machine through a Linux console command, and I supposedly moved it back 15 years (so the date would have been March 2000 in the VM's BIOS). However, I still got the same two errors when setup ran again. I even tried to change the BIOS time/date of the laptop itself, however it seems to "reset" itself to correct time even after I save changes and exit BIOS (damn you HP!!!!)

If anyone can provide info on how to solve these problems so I can continue setup, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

SIDE NOTE: I started this thread on my mobile device, when I return to my laptop at home I will edit this post and provide screenshots of the setup error as well as the setup logs upon request.

Actually, the reason for the product catalog error is the same reason as the BIOS time/date error. Find a hypervisor (fancy name for a program like Qemu), set the date to sometime before July 2001 (January works best), and install the build from there. If it's okay with you, use 2416 instead of 2419, as 2416 has a more reliable setup process (IMHO) and includes no Product Activation. (2419 is the first build to include it, so you basically have your 6-month time limit reduced to 14 days.)

jasonmerc

Post by jasonmerc »

Courage wrote:

Actually, the reason for the product catalog error is the same reason as the BIOS time/date error. Find a hypervisor (fancy name for a program like Qemu), set the date to sometime before July 2001 (January works best), and install the build from there. If it's okay with you, use 2416 instead of 2419, as 2416 has a more reliable setup process (IMHO) and includes no Product Activation. (2419 is the first build to include it, so you basically have your 6-month time limit reduced to 14 days.)

I am not familiar with the term "hypervisor", is that just another name for virtualization software? As in you are just saying find an alternative to VirtualBox?

Courage

Post by Courage »

jasonmerc wrote:
Courage wrote:

I am not familiar with the term "hypervisor", is that just another name for virtualization software? As in you are just saying find an alternative to VirtualBox?
Unfortunately, the answer is yes for both questions. I know it will be hard since you use a Ubuntu Beta, but you can also follow the instructions to change the BIOS date in Virtualbox in the following link: (These are for Windows, adapt it to your Linux config)

http://www.thecollectionbook.info/infor ... ios_dates/

jasonmerc

Post by jasonmerc »

Courage wrote:
jasonmerc wrote:
Courage wrote:

Unfortunately, the answer is yes for both questions. I know it will be hard since you use a Ubuntu Beta, but you can also follow the instructions to change the BIOS date in Virtualbox in the following link: (These are for Windows, adapt it to your Linux config)

http://www.thecollectionbook.info/infor ... ios_dates/
I remember manually setting the BIOS date before and it did not do anything, but I'll try again in case I did something wrong.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

Make sure you set the BIOS date back before you start setting up Windows Whistler 2419.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

The BIOS date can't be before build compilation

jasonmerc

Post by jasonmerc »

Lukas Marsik wrote:The BIOS date can't be before build compilation
That's probably the issue. When was this build compiled?

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

I have set the BIOS date back on Windows Whistler 2202 and 2211 and worked successfully. And BIOS date for Windows Whistler 2419 is 01/14/2001

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

jasonmerc

Post by jasonmerc »

Archenemy wrote:
I have set the BIOS date back on Windows Whistler 2202 and 2211 and worked successfully. And BIOS date for Windows Whistler 2419 is 01/14/2001
Well, I found out the issue. When I was in the terminal to set the time for the BIOS, I was going the wrong way. I was setting the time by +448156800000 milliseconds, when I should have been doing it by -448156800000 milliseconds...

Setup is continuing normally, but now I am stuck on the product key part. Does anyone know the product key to this build of Windows? I tried doing the XP trick of navigating to /i386/unattend.txt on the setup CD but the product key was not stated there.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

jasonmerc wrote:Does anyone know the product key to this build of Windows?
I easily found the product key in the first page of a Google search. Google it up. It is also on The Collection Book.

Dan43211

Post by Dan43211 »

jasonmerc wrote:
Archenemy wrote:
Well, I found out the issue. When I was in the terminal to set the time for the BIOS, I was going the wrong way. I was setting the time by +448156800000 milliseconds, when I should have been doing it by -448156800000 milliseconds...

Setup is continuing normally, but now I am stuck on the product key part. Does anyone know the product key to this build of Windows? I tried doing the XP trick of navigating to /i386/unattend.txt on the setup CD but the product key was not stated there.
F6PGG-4YYDJ-3FF3T-R328P-3BXTG - Windows Whistler 2419 serial.
No signature available.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Dan43211 wrote:F6PGG-4YYDJ-3FF3T-R328P-3BXTG - Windows Whistler 2419 serial.
No.

RBDC9-VTRC8-D7972-J97JY-PRVMG
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager