PDC 1991 PowerPoint Slides

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
DiskingRound

PDC 1991 PowerPoint Slides

Post by DiskingRound »

OK, let's begin.
The first PDC (Professional Developers Conference) took place in Seattle, the home of MS. As with PDC 1993, there doesn't exist any video of it AFAIK but unlike PDC 1993, there does exist three presentations that will hopefully shed some light on the event.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/PDC/PDC-1991
The links are all dead (504 Gateway Timeout), and unfortunately they aren't available through the Wayback Machine, but someone saved Microsoft Windows for Pen Computing and Win32 Overview on Docstoc, but since it costs money to download the full doc I'm not sure if it's following rules to post the links here. But I saved the images and posted them here. Even though some of then may be boring and this post is long it's still worth posting as it's only 2 presentations I could find and they only have 21 slides each. So first,
Win32 API and of course NT which was being developed at the time (see the Bill Gates 1991 Windows 3 and NT video and Windows World 1991 keynote, thanks to linuxlove for posting them)
Win32 making it easier for ISVs. The bottom is cut off for some reason.
Wonder what happened to "spaces"(?).
Now time for all of the NT goodies before October 1991:
The status of the NT project at the time.
The schedule of the Win32 (NT) project at the time.
Now here comes the Windows for Pen Computing slides:
Note the date: 8/15/1991.
Some companies, some of which you've probably never heard of before.
Seminars and events. Too bad no videos exist of these...
This obviously proves Windows for Pen Computing had an OEM beta program.
All the dates for the beta SDK releases of Windows for Pen Computing.

Maza

Re: PDC 1991 PowerPoint Slides

Post by Maza »

Nice find.
DiskingRound wrote: The links are all dead (504 Gateway Timeout), and unfortunately they aren't available through the Wayback Machine, but someone saved Microsoft Windows for Pen Computing and Win32 Overview on Docstoc, but since it costs money to download the full doc I'm not sure if it's following rules to post the links here.
I don't see why it would be against the rules. I'm obviously not in a position of authority on this site but AFAIK there isn't anything in the rules against this. Moreover, it is unlikely that the Docstoc uploader actually owns the content—if the uploader doesn't own the content then he or she shouldn't charge for it.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle