Windows 3.0 real mode display drivers

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Schezo

Windows 3.0 real mode display drivers

Post by Schezo »

I've had some fun experimenting with the video drivers.

While I've seen cases where people would install the Windows 2.03 display driver under Windows 3.0, I haven't seen mentioned experimenting with the Windows 1.03 drivers yet.

After some trial and error, I've got it working. The main problem was about guessing that the fonts from Windows 3.0 do not work at all and will cause extreme glitchyness.

A rundown of what I've done to get the thing working:

1 - Copy egahires.drv, egahires.grb and egahires.lgo to the system folder as respectively, ega.drv, ega.grb and ega.lgo.
Egahires.drv is in the Setup Disk, while the other two files are in the Build Disk.
2 - Because the fonts do not work, the Windows 1.03 fonts have to replace the 3.0 ones:
From the Setup Disk to Windows\System:
Copy hifonts.fon to egasys.fon
From the Fonts Disk to Windows\System:
Copy courd.fon to coure.fon
Copy helvd.fon to helve.fon
Copy tmsra.fon to tmsre.fon
Copy modern.fon, roman.fon and script.fon to the System directory

Fun facts:

-Although no Win 1.x program seems to use it, there is a graphic for the control box for child windows. Said graphic was originally used for the control box in some of the early Windows 1.0 prototypes (DR5 and Alpha).

-Because the display driver controls how the default color scheme is, the default one is now the standard "Blue Yellow Green" theme from Windows 1.0.

-Some cursors (for example, the sizing arrow) do not exist. This means the cursor will disappear if one of those is displayed.

-The Windows 1.0 display driver is not meant to handle the new windowing controls from Windows 2.03. The minimize and maximize buttons will display as gibberish instead.

A link to the VM I used to do this:
https://mega.co.nz/#!iYlRmayY!gdZmie91K ... ip7D8zXweA

There are six folders there:

WINDOWS - Runs with a Windows 1.0 VESA 800x600 driver (converted from EGA using Win1vga). It doesn't mimick any other version of Windows.
Win3Ves2 - Runs with a Windows 2.0 VESA 800x600 driver (converted from VGA using Win2Vesa). It mimicks Windows 2.03
Win3Ega1 - Runs with the vanilla Windows 1.0 EGA driver. It mimicks Windows 1.0 (or, at least, it tries to)
Win3Ves3 - Runs with a modified Windows 3.0 VGA driver to look like Windows 2.0.
Win3Ves3.Exp - The same thing as the previous folder except it runs with the Program Manager shell.
Win3Ves3.W1 - An unfinished attempt to modify the Windows 3.0 VGA driver to look like Windows 1.01. That can't be good.

Note: All of these should be run with "win -r". Running them in 386 Enhanced Mode either fails or the color palette becomes messed up. Standard mode crashes the VM completely (at least under VPC 2007 SP1).
The Windows 2.0 Display driver was already compatible with the 3.0 fonts.