A BetaArchive Exclusive: Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition!

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
mrpijey
Administrator

A BetaArchive Exclusive: Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition!

Post by mrpijey »

This is a BetaArchive exclusive release:

Microsoft Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition!

With the help of member Alias we've finally managed to get a clean copy of the very elusive Premiere Edition! We've had so many promises in the past, so many fuzzy cam shots, and even more fakes and patched copies of 1.01 to trick everyone it's the real deal. But in the end they all turned to be empty promises and disappointments... No other community managed to get a decent copy of Premiere Edition, so this highly sought after title has finally through BetaArchive emerged into the light, and onto your harddrives!

As a gesture of good faith and to show that we seriously want to preserve and share abandonware BetaArchive has chosen to share this gem with everyone so it will never be forgotten! Shortly this copy will remove all the doubt of its existence, get rid of all the patched imitations and once and for all show everyone that the real Premiere Edition exists, and now finally preserved and saved for everyone to examine, archive and experiment with!

Below you will find good scans of the floppies as well as a download link for all four floppy images. As always we're working hard at getting perfect scans and dumps from all titles so expect updates in the near future, however this gem was too hot to hold on to so you all get what we've gathered so far!

I hope you enjoy this gem, and remember where it came from! And once again, thanks to Alias for finally providing the community with this very exclusive title!

----
Download Floppy images:

http://www.betaarchive.com/files/Micros ... dition.rar

Floppy scans:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Re: A BetaArchive Exclusive: Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition!

Post by DiskingRound »

OMG! This is the best day ever :D
I will add it to the wiki ASAP.
Anyway, thank you SO much, Alias, for finally giving us the elusive PE!
Will post screenshots later.
Offtopic Comment
The kernel of this is dated July 30, 1985 but TYF's copy is dated October 28, 1985. Perhaps an indication of an earlier compile?
Last edited by DiskingRound on Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kmaster

Post by Kmaster »

Finally!! Such great news!! I remember reading something about a user having a physical copy of this around May, I never knew what happened after.

Please, someone post screenshots ASAP, as I'm at work right now and I have nowhere to try those images.

Cheers.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Kmaster wrote:Finally!! Such great news!! I remember reading something about a user having a physical copy of this around May, I never knew what happened after.

Please, someone post screenshots ASAP, as I'm at work right now and I have nowhere to try those images.

Cheers.
That user you were talking about was trueyanksfan. He had a later compile of PE that this as I said before.
Anyway, this is entirely genuine, the kernel.exe of this is sized 33,328 bytes but 1.01's is sized 33,343 bytes (IIRC).

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DiskingRound: Check my post in the other Premire Edition thread. The October 28th, 1985 version seems to be a RC of 1.01, with there being an October 21st RC too that Ray Ozzie seems to have the SDK of.
I actually think Microsoft labeled Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition throughout the entire RC phase, though internally, applications started to identify themselves as 1.01 at some point. The same Ray Ozzie provided from the Premiere Edition SDK actually identifies itself as 1.01, which might show 1.01 might have been the planned version number back then already. I think it might have been planned as 1.00 with the original kernel, and as 1.01 after the memory management code was rewritten.
Edit: Other two possibilities were that either Microsoft simply reused Premiere Edition floppies to distribute 1.01 RC's, or that whoever had trueyanksfan's floppies before trueyanksfan himself, overwrote the original files with the 1.01 RC at some point, and then at a later date overwrote Disks 1 to 3 with some backup stuff.

Anyway, we finally got the real Premiere Edition! I've been waiting for this day to come now since 2008 when Namronia found that photo of the monitor with the Premiere Edition logo on it, and finally it has come.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Quick screenshots:
I forgot to take a screenshot of it, but IIRC it said "The disk in drive A is missing the necessary applications". I tryed all disks I could with no luck. Why?
Anyway, here's the boot screen:
The result is this:
Anyone got it working in PCem?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Finally.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

InsertGoodNameHere

Post by InsertGoodNameHere »

Make this date known in history lol :P

Got this on PCem:

Using AMI WinBIOS 486.

Delete second post please.
Last edited by InsertGoodNameHere on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't visit much, if ever.

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

InsertGoodNameHere

Post by InsertGoodNameHere »

Got this on PCem:

Using AMI WinBIOS 486.
Last edited by InsertGoodNameHere on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't visit much, if ever.

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DiskingRound: Get PCem v9 and choose IBM XT. It should work then.

- InsertGoodNameHere: Choose IBM XT. Windows Premiere Edition doesn't like it when you have too much RAM, due to the bug in the memory management code. It prefers being run on 640 kB.

Edit: Also make sure you use DOS 3.x or earlier. I recommended 3.31 rev. G Compaq OEM as it supports hard disks bigger than 32 MB.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Battler wrote:- DiskingRound: Get PCem v9 and choose IBM XT. It should work then.
Never mind. I got it working on PCem v0.41 using MS-DOS 4.01 for the setup and 3.30 for running Windows:
There's no mouse, unfortunately. :(

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DiskingRound: Still, why'd you want to stick with an ages old version of PCem when v9 is the latest and much better? :p

Plus, mouse works if you use PCem v9.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

or the IBM AT on PCem, but set the ram as low as 1 (in MB). Also, for proper display for its time, use EGA or the et4000.

DutchAbandonwareCollector

Post by DutchAbandonwareCollector »

Fantastic! Thanks so much, mrpijey and Alias, for sharing this rare gem!

It's working perfectly in VMware Workstation 11.0 w/ MS-DOS 3.30 (Dutch Tulip OEM):

http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .57020.png

Couldn't set RAM lower than 4 MB, though...

I also had to insert the disks in a weird order, 1-2-3-4-3-4. Setup did terminate correctly.
Last edited by DutchAbandonwareCollector on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longhornwhistler
Donator

Post by longhornwhistler »

mrpijey wrote:This is a BetaArchive exclusive release:

Microsoft Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition!

With the help of member Alias we've finally managed to get a clean copy of the very elusive Premiere Edition! We've had so many promises in the past, so many fuzzy cam shots, and even more fakes and patched copies of 1.01 to trick everyone it's the real deal. But in the end they all turned to be empty promises and disappointments... No other community managed to get a decent copy of Premiere Edition, so this highly sought after title has finally through BetaArchive emerged into the light, and onto your harddrives!

As a gesture of good faith and to show that we seriously want to preserve and share abandonware BetaArchive has chosen to share this gem with everyone so it will never be forgotten! Shortly this copy will remove all the doubt of its existence, get rid of all the patched imitations and once and for all show everyone that the real Premiere Edition exists, and now finally preserved and saved for everyone to examine, archive and experiment with!

Below you will find good scans of the floppies as well as a download link for all four floppy images. As always we're working hard at getting perfect scans and dumps from all titles so expect updates in the near future, however this gem was too hot to hold on to so you all get what we've gathered so far!

I hope you enjoy this gem, and remember where it came from! And once again, thanks to Alias for finally providing the community with this very exclusive title!

----
Download Floppy images:

http://www.betaarchive.com/files/Micros ... dition.rar

Floppy scans:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Thank God we finally found it and can stop arguing about it! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

DragonExagon

Post by DragonExagon »

Hooray! Windows 1 PE, one of the biggest BA events since the Windows 8 leaks. (correct me if i'm wrong)

Stannieman

Post by Stannieman »

How can I properly configure a harddisk in pcem 9? I have one attached (16MB), but fdisk doesn't see anything.
I probably have to configure it first in the bios, but I can't figure out how to get into the setup...

EDIT: When I boot without DOS floppy I get something, but I have no idea what to do with it.
If ur a pirate, say arrr!

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

To run premiere edition on a recent version of DOS, install the driver SETVER.EXE in CONFIG.SYS and add WIN100.MID to the version table using the command

setver WIN100.MID 3.40

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Works in VirtualBox as well with MS-DOS 3.31 Compaq OEM Rev. G. The boot screen is in color, but there is still no mouse. I also can only type in all caps, while on PCem I can type in lowercase.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- DiskingRound: I told you already to use PCem v9, as the mouse works perfectly fine there.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

Interestingly, GetVersion returns 0x0001 in Premiere Edition, that must be read as 1.00.

Hackerpcs
Donator

Post by Hackerpcs »

DragonExagon wrote:Hooray! Windows 1 PE, one of the biggest BA events since the Windows 8 leaks. (correct me if i'm wrong)
This is the greatest contribution on par with Longhorn leaks of OSBA and Omega build 3790.
Congratulations to BetaArchive and most importantly Alias.

John Elliott

Post by John Elliott »

I've updated my Windows 1 VGA/VESA patcher to support the Premiere Edition. Screenshot from VirtualBox:

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

don't get me wrong, but why is this such a big hit ?

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

xelloss wrote:Interestingly, GetVersion returns 0x0001 in Premiere Edition, that must be read as 1.00.
Not quite that interesting. For some reason Windows 1.01 does the same... :-(