Windows 1.0 Premier Edition

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Alias

Windows 1.0 Premier Edition

Post by Alias »

Hi guys. I worked at Microsoft as an intern in the summer of 1985 when the Premier Edition was released. I have a set of the floppies and they are in fine condition. Today I setup my old XT and installed to the hard disk and ran it. In the attached image you can see the boot screen and floppies below. Happy to provide whatever other proof you need but I was surprised when I stumbled on this controversy earlier today. There was definitely a premier edition released before the official first version of Windows.

Battler
Donator

Re: Windows 1.0 Premier Edition

Post by Battler »

- Alias: Could you somehow image the floppies and upload them somewhere please? That would be greatly appreciated.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Not sure why this topic was moved but I have moved it back as there was no reason given. Mods, please stop moving topics without giving a reason or I'll stop you all moving topics completely.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

at least this should be the right moment for getting the real Windows Premiere Edition :)

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

That's pretty cool, finally someone who has all the disks in working condition.

I hope you do realize how rare this version is, which is why it'd be nice if you decided to share it with us. We've had several dead ends during the search for Premiere Edition and this really seems to be it. :)

I do wonder though, was the bootscreen actually black or is that just because of the monitor?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

Overdoze wrote:I do wonder though, was the bootscreen actually black or is that just because of the monitor?
The monitor is a 5153 (CGA), which is only supported by Windows in monochrome mode.
So that's probably the reason.

JustZisGuy

Post by JustZisGuy »

Alias wrote:Hi guys. I worked at Microsoft as an intern in the summer of 1985 when the Premier Edition was released. I have a set of the floppies and they are in fine condition. Today I setup my old XT and installed to the hard disk and ran it. In the attached image you can see the boot screen and floppies below. Happy to provide whatever other proof you need but I was surprised when I stumbled on this controversy earlier today. There was definitely a premier edition released before the official first version of Windows.
Very cool stuff. Since you were there, do you happen to know if this was something that was only given to developers? Was it some kind of internal promotional thing? Do you happen to have any real idea what the issue between PE and 1.01 was? (If you share images we can figure that out). Did it come as a boxed set? If it did, do you also still have the box?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

A little forum or Google search would reveal the answers to your questions. We already know what the PE was and how it's different, we just don't have it yet.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Holy crap, this looks legitimate. This may be our only chance of getting the elusive Premiere Edition, as TYF's set was overwritten up to disk 3.
Some scans of these floppy labels would still be awesome.
Any chance of you imaging and uploading the floppies? We need to wait for him to log in (Which he hasn't since Sunday).
Offtopic Comment
P.S. This is amazing! It's nice that when we get hard proof a build exists (e.g. legit screens, CD scans or vids) the build eventually leaks.
-Windows 95 Build 405 (Mentioned in BBS list)
-Windows 98 Build 2126 (Screenshots first posted on wiki)
-Windows NT 5 Build 1848 (Disc scans)
-Windows ME Build 2509 (Disc scans)
-Windows ME Build 2516 (Disc scans)
-Windows ME Build 2525.6 (Disc scans)
-Windows 10 Build 9841 (Screenshots, then official release)
-Windows 10 Build 9888 (Screenshots, then leak)
Last edited by DiskingRound on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

TheWindowsXPGuy

Post by TheWindowsXPGuy »

Alias wrote:Image
Those disks look identical to trueyanksfan's copy.
Offtopic Comment
Are any pictures of the original DR5, Alpha, and Beta disks available?
Overdoze wrote:I do wonder though, was the bootscreen actually black or is that just because of the monitor?
That wouldn't make much since considering the earlier Beta build (May 1985) had a blue boot screen.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We will see when we get the software. Please, don't get overly excited and wait for definitive proof. I am in contact with the member trying to secure some high quality scans as well as the contents of the floppies. This may take some time so be patient. As soon as we got some more proper contents to show it will be presented here.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Topic cleaned up.

ibmpc5150, the next time you assume someone is boasting about it because they can't immediately produce a copy you will get a severe warning. There is a saying, "patience is a virtue", I suggest you learn and understand this concept.

Any other member accusing a member of fakes, boasting, bragging or any other sorts without definitive proof will get a warning. This kind of behavior is not accepted on this forum. If you have proof if it being fake you can bring it to the mod team directly and not through the topic.

As for the rest of us, we'll wait until we get an answer about this title.

trueyanksfan

Post by trueyanksfan »

Great find from Alias! SInce I dont have files on disks 1-3, his may be what you all have been looking for. Here are scans of mine if you want to compare:

http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... .15955.jpg
http://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload/ ... r.2494.jpg

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

trueyanksfan wrote:Great find from Alias! SInce I dont have files on disks 1-3, his may be what you all have been looking for. Here are scans of mine if you want to compare:

Thank you very much, trueyanksfan. Even though your floppies are overwritten, they at least deserve some preservation! All you need to do is properly align them.

JustZisGuy

Post by JustZisGuy »

Thanks Trueyanksfan, the scan is much appreciated. Should Alias choose to share the contents of his disks, disk images of your disk content would still be very useful for verification purposes. The forth, and possibly part of the the third could be compared. (And I am still curious what the original owner decided was important enough to back up over this)

TheWindowsXPGuy

Post by TheWindowsXPGuy »

JustZisGuy wrote:(And I am still curious what the original owner decided was important enough to back up over this)
Most people don't care about a beta version of an old DOS program, so it's no surprise that those disks got overwritten.
If only they knew this would be a sought after collector's item.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

trueyanksfan wrote:Great find from Alias! SInce I dont have files on disks 1-3, his may be what you all have been looking for. Here are scans of mine if you want to compare:

Could you perhaps scan your floppies (without the sleeve) at highest res and save as TIF/PNG and provide them for us? The more sources for these the better... thanks.

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

More Premiere Edition news.

Ray Ozzie (yes, that one) uploaded the hello world application from the Premiere Edition SDK (as well as that of Win 1.0 beta's, and Win 1.01). http://ozz.ie/h31100

I've replied to his comment on Hacker News asking for floppy images. We can hope. :)

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- trueyanksfan: Could you please dump your Disk 4 into a floppy image? While the files in it are not on Premiere Edition (they are dated October 1985 and we know Premiere Edition is from summer 1985 from both statements by Microsoft developers, and the dating of Ray Ozzie's files), they still seem to differ from 1.01 RTM, so I suspect it's an 1.01 RC (Release Candidate). Note that Ray Ozzie's 1.01 sample is also dated October 21st, 1985, therefore before the RTM.

Edit: Ray Ozzie's Beta is dated May 4th, 1985. The one we have is dated May 7th, 1985. Could his be a slightly earlier version?

Edit #2: According to data from Ray Ozzie and trueyanksfan, we can gather this:
- 1985-05-04 - Beta, Ray Ozzie has at least its SDK;
- 1985-05-07 - Beta, BETAArchive has it;
- 1985-07-29 - Premiere Edition;
- 1985-10-21 - 1.01 RC?, Ray Ozzie has at least its SDK;
- 1985-10-28 - 1.01 RC?, trueyanksfan has some files on it on Disk 4 formerly of Premiere Edition;
- 1985-11-15 - 1.01 RTM.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

marceg16579

Post by marceg16579 »

Thanks for Premiere Edition, but which differents with Windows 1.0 final release?
And Premiere Edition was released only for journalists?

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

Memory management was rewritten in 1.01 due to issues, and yes, it was a limited release to press and whatnot.

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

Thanks for real Windows 1.0 Premiere Edition. You can upload more legally products if you have.
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)