Windows Longhorn 4074 with SATA

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
AlexN
Donator

Windows Longhorn 4074 with SATA

Post by AlexN »

Alright, here's a good one for you guys:
How can you get 4074 to work with SATA? I've seen people do it before but they do not explain how they did it.

Hopefully if this is figured out it could become a good resource for others with the same question

Thanks!
...and I promise on my bones - I built this home, I built it up for you.
SoundCloud /// Twitter /// YouTube

Formerly ratsrock2323

Samuka

Re: Windows Longhorn 4074 with SATA

Post by Samuka »

Directly, you get a BSOD on installation (when load the Windows Setup). But, you can add drivers to WinPE or disable "AHCI" option on BIOS. You can use drivers ahci for Windows XP/2003 or use Uniata driver (universal sata driver).

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

Some bioses offer that feature while others don't. However here is a post that may help you: http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28598
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Nlite breaks any LH i386 repack. Driverpacks.Net thinks a longhorn i386 isn't a real install, and times it actually reads it, the drivers don't work. This is from MY experience with trying to run longhorn on modern. There's always some device on your computer that isn't compatible right off the CD. Most likely, I've known of people installing LH into a VM, installing proper drivers in there, and imaging the install back into a .wim and using that. You will need to use a different WinPE though.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

sagem
Donator

Post by sagem »

hmmmm i have a msdn 4074 in my stash on my 2tb backup. i have never had a problem installing in on my systems and thay are all sata if i cant find my msdn i hove a nother copy that still works on sata drives i had it running on a asus P5LD2-SE / 500gb hd / 4gb ram ddr2 / 3.6ghz cpu with 1gig pei-E card ill see if i can find it on my 2tb drive all ill upload it but some users may have same copy i do. thow it has got me going as to why some users cant run it on sata
im on cb/ham radio you can get hold of me on skip days/night 41LWC407 41 is section new zealand and LWC407 is my call sig on 27.385 mhz and thats chn 38

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

As said already, Longhorn can run quite easily on SATA, but only if that SATA is set to IDE Legacy mode rather than AHCI mode. It was the default for some time because it meant XP could install without having to get the necessary drivers on a floppy disk, or pre-integrating them into the i386 install with nLite or some other tool.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

I'm pointing this out for people who DON"T have IDE Legacy mode in their bios, like me. Every time I boot off the CD, I either get 0x7b, restarts after "Setup is starting Windows", or boot hangs.

I am considering using a PATA/IDE pciE Mini ssd in the slot where my wifi card used to be...
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

hounsell wrote:As said already, Longhorn can run quite easily on SATA, but only if that SATA is set to IDE Legacy mode rather than AHCI mode. It was the default for some time because it meant XP could install without having to get the necessary drivers on a floppy disk, or pre-integrating them into the i386 install with nLite or some other tool.
this is interesting, I never knew that! I tried driverpacks.net and as said before it did not recognize the installation. I'll check the BIOS tonight. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

EDIT: What are the chances of 4074 detecting my Ethernet port?

Formerly ratsrock2323

AlexN
Donator

Post by AlexN »

UPDATE: I had the right settings in my BIOS and part 1 installed fine, but after reboot I get the error

Formerly ratsrock2323