[QUESTION] What is stored inside media_kryoflux.rar?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
DiskingRound

[QUESTION] What is stored inside media_kryoflux.rar?

Post by DiskingRound »

Hello, I've been thinking of buying a kryoflux unit, and have been wondering what is stored inside the media_kryoflux.rar? There is also a media_img.rar, which contains the disk images. But my internet is slow as molasses, so does anyone know what is stored inside media_kryoflux.rar??

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: [QUESTION] What is stored inside media_kryoflux.rar?

Post by mrpijey »

It contains a raw kryoflux stream of the media. I.e the data the kryoflux device generates from a floppy drive.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

mrpijey wrote:It contains a raw kryoflux stream of the media. I.e the data the kryoflux device generates from a floppy drive.
Thanks. But why is it so big (hundreds of MB's)? Never mind. There are raw files with raw 0's and 1's as well as logs.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Um, no. A raw 1 or 0 on a floppy is a raw 1 and 0, which means that 1MB of 1's and 0's would equal 1MB of image (which is how .img etc stores it) :). You would need to understand how the kryoflux works, it doesn't store the 1's and 0's from the floppy as 1's and 0's. It stores the magnetic flux information stored on the floppy, and not only one copy but (by default) 5 to make sure the read information is correct etc. So one byte from the floppy can be 1-2MB data in the form of magnetic flux information. Basically, it stores the information the drive head reads from the magnetic surface before it gets interpreted as a 1 and 0 which is a much more accurate way to properly store the information a floppy drive (or harddrive) stores its information.

Read up on how the KF works beneath the hood and you'll understand, and also why we would want KF images in front of img's, dsk's etc. Because there's more to a floppy than "raw" 1's and 0's (imho it shouldn't be called "raw" as it doesn't store all information from the floppy).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP