PHPBB 3.1 upgrade

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
x010
Staff

PHPBB 3.1 upgrade

Post by x010 »

Since PHPBB3.1 has arrived , isn't it time to consider an upgrade? Some of the changes are quite major and useful..
Or will we stay with PHPBB3?

hounsell

Re: PHPBB 3.1 upgrade

Post by hounsell »

But really to take advantage of many of those changes will involve reworking the theme.

I can't see it happening any time soon.

MrFreeman

Post by MrFreeman »

At least encrypt this site with a SSL/TLS certificate.
Half-Life is a pretty good game.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

x010 wrote:Since PHPBB3.1 has arrived , isn't it time to consider an upgrade? Some of the changes are quite major and useful..
Or will we stay with PHPBB3?
I suppose upgrade is planned for BAv3.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Gnome
Donator

Post by Gnome »

MrFreeman wrote:At least encrypt this site with a SSL/TLS certificate.
Been over this several thousand times before. It's simply not worth using encryption. If you're stupid enough to use an important password or the same password across multiple sites then you deserve to have it cracked.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

Gnome wrote:
MrFreeman wrote:At least encrypt this site with a SSL/TLS certificate.
Been over this several thousand times before. It's simply not worth using encryption. If you're stupid enough to use an important password or the same password across multiple sites then you deserve to have it cracked.
Exactly, ssl encryption is not needed as long as you have a really good password and the site is not hacked. And also it would be so expensive if he put ssl encryption on this site because you would have to buy an ssl certificate which makes the site more expensive to pay for, then they can put ssl encryption so that means that ssl would make the site more expensive to pay yearly.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

I would personally love it if this forum upgraded to phpBB 3.1 (even better would be if it switched to MyBB 1.8 which is even better, but that will most probably never happen). Especially the Soft Delete feature (and notifications on new posts to approve, etc.) would be nice. Being able to soft-delete posts so they disappear from the public but stay there for the Staff to see would make moderation a lot easier.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Archenemy wrote:
Gnome wrote:Been over this several thousand times before. It's simply not worth using encryption. If you're stupid enough to use an important password or the same password across multiple sites then you deserve to have it cracked.
Exactly, ssl encryption is not needed as long as you have a really good password and the site is not hacked. And also it would be so expensive if he put ssl encryption on this site because you would have to buy an ssl certificate which makes the site more expensive to pay for, then they can put ssl encryption so that means that ssl would make the site more expensive to pay yearly.

Don't get a job in the information security sector. At least not before you learn what SSL/TLS actually is.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

hounsell wrote:Don't get a job in the information security sector. At least not before you learn what SSL/TLS actually is.
I know what ssl/tls actually is and when it is actually needed. And I don't do a job at the information security sector.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Archenemy wrote:ssl encryption is not needed as long as you have a really good password and the site is not hacked.
Evidently you do not understand what SSL is, otherwise you'd realise that the strength of your password is immaterial in the attack vector that SSL defends against, that that if the site was hacked, SSL would offer you absolutely nothing whatsoever in the way of protection.

And it's pretty obvious you do not. I was suggesting you might wish to stay far away from things you evidently do not understand.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

BA does not need SSL, we don't handle sensitive data like your credit card details. All it does is add server overhead and slows the site down, so unless it's needed we won't use it.

I saw the release notification today and BA will get 3.1 eventually, however as with any development work I will not give any ETA as I do not know when it will happen. I also need to look into the work involved in updating the theme where needed.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

May I ask why do we have SSL for the FTP then?
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

The main reason is to prevent ISP's throttling, which they do not tend to do to SSL and non standard port connections. Secondly, the data isn't exactly 100% legal in the first place...

IsaacD

Post by IsaacD »

SSL is not needed for this site, and with the payment/donations, you're directed to a secure site for those transactions.

Your passwords are salted & hashed in the PHPBB DB as it is, and if you're using a super secret secure pass code (why that is need here, I don't know, I use the code sent via password retriveal) on this forum spread across many other sites, then you're just silly (it's the same old argument of keeping backups).

All safe & secure, thar is none of a threat then any other part of the net. :-)

Edit: Corrections because of touchscreen.
Slavic Wog to the Core!

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014