IBM DOS 4.05/V for PC/AT exists!

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
roytam1

IBM DOS 4.05/V for PC/AT exists!

Post by roytam1 »

I found it from an old (cca 1993) pirate games collection CD, it contains a DiskDupe boot image and a zipped archive for Disk 2 contents.

I have to cook it adding Windows 3.0 himem.sys and emm386.sys for making Font driver loading.

Battler
Donator

Re: IBM DOS 4.05/V for PC/AT exists!

Post by Battler »

- roytam1: Could you please upload it somewhere? I would appreciate that very much.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Pwned
Donator

Post by Pwned »

If anyone wants the text version, I manually wrote down all the text from this screenshot:

Code: Select all

IIIIIII  BBBBBBBBB    MMMMM       MMMMM
IIIIIII  BBBBBBBBBBB  MMMMMM     MMMMMM
  III     BBB    BBB   MMMMMM   MMMMMM
  III     BBBBBBBBB    MMMMMMM MMMMMMM
  III     BBBBBBBBB    MMM MMMMMMM MMM
  III     BBB    BBB   MMM  MMMMM  MMM
IIIIIII  BBBBBBBBBBB  MMMM   MMM   MMMM
IIIIIII  BBBBBBBBB    MMMM    M    MMMM

パーソナルシステム/55

導入プログラム
DOS J4.05/V

(C) Copyright IBM Corp. 1990.
All rights reserved.

続けるには Enter(改行) キーを押してください。取り消すには Esc を押てください。

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

I think I have seen something similar before. I have a "PC DOS T6.1/V" somewhere, but I think(?) this is already on the FTP? (can't check right now)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

Battler wrote:- roytam1: Could you please upload it somewhere? I would appreciate that very much.
Sure. :)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/50vw99btksftwv2
Last edited by roytam1 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- Darkstar: On the FTP, we only have PC DOS T6/1V Beta, not RTM. If you have the RTM, please upload it.

- roytam1: Thank you very much! Just note, I had to use the Windows 9x HIMEM.SYS, because the 3.0 HIMEM.SYS doesn't work properly in Virtual PC 2007, it seems.

Also, it seems this is intended for the PS/55, though it's DOS/V, as opposed to the non-/V 4.05 for PS/55 we have, and therefore it works better on a non-PS/55 PC too.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

As I don't know which himem.sys / emm386.sys|exe will work on DOS4, using Windows 3.0 set is a conservative solution. :)

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- roytam1: But you don't need EMM386.EXE at all to get the Japanese Font driver to load. All you need is HIMEM.SYS. And again, the Windows 3.0 doesn't work properly in Virtual PC 2007. I tried it, and the Font driver kept complaining about not enough extended memory. Then I switched to the Windows 9x one, and it worked fine.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- roytam1: I just verified further. This time I recomed HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS completely from CONFIG.SYS, and the font driver loaded fine on both PCem and Virtual PC 2007.

Please remember that QEMU's memory management isn't really designed for old DOS'es. I reported one of the problems once and the developers basically told me they won't fix it because their goal is basically to run modern OS'es in a KVM-like way, and that this would interfere with that. So I really suggest not using QEMU for old OS'es, and usign PCem or Virtual PC 2007 instead.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

Battler wrote:- roytam1: I just verified further. This time I recomed HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.SYS completely from CONFIG.SYS, and the font driver loaded fine on both PCem and Virtual PC 2007.

Please remember that QEMU's memory management isn't really designed for old DOS'es. I reported one of the problems once and the developers basically told me they won't fix it because their goal is basically to run modern OS'es in a KVM-like way, and that this would interfere with that. So I really suggest not using QEMU for old OS'es, and usign PCem or Virtual PC 2007 instead.
They aren't portable, period.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- roytam1: From your screenshot above, you're using Windows. PCem and Virtual PC 2007 are both designed for Windows. So I don't see why portability is even an issue here. And PCem can now work on Linux too, using Allegro. So at the very least you can use PCem.

And no need to be rude.

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

I mean the portable config. How can you do this with VPC 2007? registry export/import or registry API hooking. Both techniques are just UGLY.
and how can you use multiple PCem with different configs without having multiple PCem copies? nope.

I do not meant to be rude here, I am just feel somewhat weary.

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

It contains a DOS/V specific (Using DOS/V's INT 21h Extensions) IBM Basic interpreter.

It first detects DOS version, then detects the existence of DOS/V by using INT 21h AH=63h at loading stage. I tried to patch these out, however even after the patch it still don't work on normal MS-DOS 6.22 without DOS/V as it ignores every command input.
BTW it only supports SCREEN 0, 11 and 12, probably because of DOS/V only runs on VGA 640x480 modes.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

roytam1 wrote:I mean the portable config. How can you do this with VPC 2007? registry export/import or registry API hooking. Both techniques are just UGLY.
Nope, Virtual PC 2007 stores its configurations in the .VMC file for each virtual machine. Ever checked what it's My Documents\My Virtual Machines ?

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

PCem has a saving configuration and load configuration options as of the v8.1 and v9.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Battler wrote:- Darkstar: On the FTP, we only have PC DOS T6/1V Beta, not RTM. If you have the RTM, please upload it.]
Here you go. If it's genuine and/or worth preserving tell me, then I can upload it to the FTP. I don't want to bury mrpijey/andy in useless sorting if this turns out to be some hackjob ^^
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

Darkstar wrote:
Battler wrote:- Darkstar: On the FTP, we only have PC DOS T6/1V Beta, not RTM. If you have the RTM, please upload it.]
Here you go. If it's genuine and/or worth preserving tell me, then I can upload it to the FTP. I don't want to bury mrpijey/andy in useless sorting if this turns out to be some hackjob ^^
This is the exact same beta we have on the FTP :P

Code: Select all

PC DOS Version T6.10/V WARM UP release
             (C)Copyright International Business Machines Corp 1981-1993.
             (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1993

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The startup screen is pretty much ordinary IBM text-mode startup. For example PE (personel editor v1) has it, as does the facility to make IBM floppies from the cdrom. It also is used on the OS/2 boot screen from the diskettes.