Phodeo spotted in Korean Vista Ad

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
BloxmineXL

Phodeo spotted in Korean Vista Ad

Post by BloxmineXL »

So i was looking at Windows ads when i spotted Longhorns Phodeo!
Here is the video: http://youtu.be/CR7Q1ai-qR4?t=18m31s

Does anyone know why it's in there?
:idea:

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Re: Phodeo spotted in Korean Vista Ad

Post by wasabilee »

coz vista has nothing special to offer
so why not put in ad something nice and cute

not to mention that THAT version of phodeo doesn't exist at all
its a flash demo insert of concept

BloxmineXL

Post by BloxmineXL »

wasabilee wrote:coz vista has nothing special to offer

not to mention that THAT version of phodeo doesn't exist at all
its a flash demo insert of concept
"coz vista has nothing special to offer" You are not too smart thinking. Vista was a huge improvement over XP

"so why not put in ad something nice and cute" I can't even read that.

"not to mention that THAT version of phodeo deosn't exist at all its a flash demo insert of concept" Yes I know that it is a concept, but what I really wanna know is; Why is it in that ad?
Last edited by BloxmineXL on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maza

Post by Maza »

wasabilee wrote:coz vista has nothing special to offer
It is because of Windows Vista that we have a new audio stack and consistent interface for streams, a desktop compositor, integrated support for IPv6 (among other features powered by a new networking stack), instant search (how often do you search from the Start menu?), a new display driver model with fault tolerance and support for seamless recovery, a new boot loader architecture, a new WIM setup routine, User Account Control. I could go on and on... The significance of some of these features is only beginning to be realized (think WIMBoot in Windows 8.1).

As for the operating system not having anything special (at least when compared to "Longhorn"?) no other operating system (think Windows ME or Windows XP) introduced so many features based on a previous incarnation (think Neptune). In fact, most if not all of the features mentioned above were planned for "Longhorn." (for examples please see WinHEC 2002 Session Presentations).

"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Maza wrote:It is because of Windows Vista that we have a new audio stack
Which removes the analog CD Audio channel and keeps only digitial, which breaks Virtual PC 2007 among other things which used the analog CD Audio channel to play back CD Audio from virtual machines running old OS'es such as Windows 95.
and consistent interface for streams,
I agree this is a good thing.
a desktop compositor,
Which uses much more resources and hardware graphics accelerator for something Windows XP could do without that.
integrated support for IPv6 (among other features powered by a new networking stack),
instant search (how often do you search from the Start menu?),
Never. I usually search by opening the Command Prompt and using DIR /S.
a new display driver model with fault tolerance and support for seamless recovery,
a new boot loader architecture,
And what was wrong with the old one?
a new WIM setup routine,
Which gives the user even less choice on how exactly to install Windows.
User Account Control.
Which has to darken the whole screen just to display a message box asking me for confirmation. It's a good thing but could be done better.
no other operating system (think Windows ME or Windows XP) introduced so many features based on a previous incarnation (think Neptune).
This is completely false. Have you forgotten Windows 95? Compared to Windows 3.1, it brought a new Setup, a new look, a completely new UI (Explorer/Start), 32-bitness, a completely overhauled Control Panel, a complete overhaul of all driver stacks, and so on.
And I could argue Windows 3.0 also brought just as many changes compared to Windows 2.x.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Battler wrote:Which uses much more resources and hardware graphics accelerator for something Windows XP could do without that.
Technically almost any operating system can do without a desktop compositor, but why would you want one to do so with all of the benefits that it provides? I don't want to see windows tearing and I want to leverage the graphical capabilities of my hardware to provide me with a better operating experience.
Battler wrote:And what was wrong with the old one?
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the old one. The new one has many advantages, such as support for EFI. http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... b/BCD.docx
Battler wrote:Which gives the user even less choice on how exactly to install Windows.
Please cite evidence to support your claim.
Battler wrote:Which has to darken the whole screen just to display a message box asking me for confirmation. It's a good thing but could be done better.
User Account Control doesn't have to do anything; you can disable Secure Desktop, but I would advise against doing so. You can also adjust other settings if things are not to your liking. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx
Battler wrote:This is completely false. Have you forgotten Windows 95? Compared to Windows 3.1, it brought a new Setup, a new look, a completely new UI (Explorer/Start), 32-bitness, a completely overhauled Control Panel, a complete overhaul of all driver stacks, and so on.
And I could argue Windows 3.0 also brought just as many changes compared to Windows 2.x.
I believe that you misunderstood what I had tried to say. My point was that no operating system included so many features based on a previous incarnation of that operating system; incarnation, in this sense, does not refer to a previous version of Windows, but to a previous point of development of that operating system. In this case, "Longhorn" is the previous incarnation of Windows Vista, the latter included many features scheduled for "Longhorn," moreso than the transition from Neptune to Windows Me / Windows XP.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Well remember, Windows 95 (and kind of NT 4.0 too) brought a lot of what was originally planned for Cairo. Windows 98 brought most of what was originally planned for Nashville.

But apart from that, you are right.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Battler wrote:Well remember, Windows 95 (and kind of NT 4.0 too) brought a lot of what was originally planned for Cairo. Windows 98 brought most of what was originally planned for Nashville.

But apart from that, you are right.
A lot of the technical features and UI elements of "Longhorn" would also make it into Windows Vista. I suppose it depends on how one looks at it...

BloxmineXL

Post by BloxmineXL »

I acctually still wan't to know why it would be in the ad.

Stephanos

Post by Stephanos »

Battler wrote:
a new boot loader architecture,
And what was wrong with the old one?
Well, I can't exactly say the ARC-centric architecture of the old NTLDR was ideal, considering it went out of favour a long time ago along with many RISC machines. In fact, NTLDR was so ARC-centric that it even emulated the ARC firmware routines in x86 BIOS-based systems (startup.com implements various routines to translate the standard ARC APIs to the BIOS equivalent).

Maza

Post by Maza »

BloxmineXL wrote:I acctually still wan't to know why it would be in the ad.
Perhaps it was a mistake on the company's part? Hard to tell.