How do I acquire stuff?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
DiskingRound

How do I acquire stuff?

Post by DiskingRound »

I know this has been asked before, but where do I find beta software and old software that I can scan and dump and upload to the FTP?
I currently have a whopping 0 original Windows CDs that are not on the FTP, and I have some old, warez CDs but now many of it is just music.
So, what is your advice on acquiring software? I know of checking friends houses, but any other tips? I don't have an attic, and i used to have old windows CDs but disposed of many of them.
Last edited by DiskingRound on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhobariii
Donator

Re: How do I acquire stuff?

Post by rhobariii »

In some stores, there are these boxes in which people put old floppies and discs for recycling.
You can ask the owner/manager/etc. if you could open the box, and see if something will be of use to you.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

If you want original discs, you could try your luck on eBay. Occasionally, rare beta discs pop-up.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

ElementalChaos

Post by ElementalChaos »

Go to thrift stores (Goodwill, Savers, etc.) and look in the CD section. I've found truckloads of software from doing that.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Another question which has already been answered before...

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 39&t=31940
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

mrpijey wrote:Another question which has already been answered before...

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 39&t=31940
That guide is quite good and I may start using it to get software.
I do have some windows discs but it is either unoriginal or just a duplicate of properly scanned and uploaded material on the FTP.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

DiskingRound wrote:I do have some windows discs but it is either unoriginal or just a duplicate of properly scanned and uploaded material on the FTP.
Make sure they really are duplicates, the more original stuff we get the more important it is that people really compare their stuff to ours, we might very well miss an alternative release or original disc because someone just checked the release name and assumed it was identical.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

You can try going to any store whether online stores or "real" stores as long they have abandonware or beta stuff which the betaarchive ftp does not have.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

The best friends for abandonware software for you are eBay and Amazon. Only you need is enough money.
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)

sammy

Post by sammy »

I literally have a bookshelf sitting next to me that is filled with software from thrift stores.
So, try going to a nearby thrift store or check on ebay. If all else fails, go dumpster diving. :-P
Who cares about anything if it's boring?
http://www.messesofscience.weebly.com

Ham62

Post by Ham62 »

I’ve had some luck finding for old software in the board game section of some thrift stores. Sometimes the employees get big-box PC games mixed up with board games and just throw them there. Also, don’t forget to look in yard sales during the summer. I once found a complete boxed copy of Adobe Premiere 4.0 with the manuals and everything that a guy was just giving away after his sale. (Don’t know if you guys would be interested in that.) As the others have said though, eBay is also a great place to find old software, though you’ll end up paying a bit more for that stuff on a site such as that.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Ham62 wrote:I’ve had some luck finding for old software in the board game section of some thrift stores. Sometimes the employees get big-box PC games mixed up with board games and just throw them there. Also, don’t forget to look in yard sales during the summer. I once found a complete boxed copy of Adobe Premiere 4.0 with the manuals and everything that a guy was just giving away after his sale. (Don’t know if you guys would be interested in that.) As the others have said though, eBay is also a great place to find old software, though you’ll end up paying a bit more for that stuff on a site such as that.
Offtopic Comment
Yes I am interested in it. Please scan, dump, and upload it as soon as possible!

sammy

Post by sammy »

Theres also always the choice of raiding your parent's basement :)
Who cares about anything if it's boring?
http://www.messesofscience.weebly.com