What was Windows Blackcomb?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
mkbea1985

What was Windows Blackcomb?

Post by mkbea1985 »

There isn't much information on the internet about it but from what I've seen it was a revolutionary os with a complete UI redesign no longer having the taskbar at the bottom or having a start menu. What happened to it and why did it never come to be?

sagem
Donator

Re: What was Windows Blackcomb?

Post by sagem »

where did you look? The code name was changed from Blackcomb in early 2006 to Windows Vienna.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Windows+Bl ... &form=QBRE
im on cb/ham radio you can get hold of me on skip days/night 41LWC407 41 is section new zealand and LWC407 is my call sig on 27.385 mhz and thats chn 38

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

mkbea1985 wrote:There isn't much information on the internet about it but from what I've seen it was a revolutionary os with a complete UI redesign no longer having the taskbar at the bottom or having a start menu. What happened to it and why did it never come to be?
Blackomb was to be the succesor of Longhorn. Take in mind that at this time Longhorn was scheduled as a minor release. Eventually Longhorn kind of became Blackomb as Longhorn became a major release with much of the features planned for Blackcomb.

Edit: In 2001 during the internal 'BPR demo' a concept of what Blackcomb should look like was demoed by Steve Guggenheimer. A video of this demo found its way to the internet. This demo was all about merging the Windows & MSN UI together and service integration.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

Melcher wrote:
mkbea1985 wrote:There isn't much information on the internet about it but from what I've seen it was a revolutionary os with a complete UI redesign no longer having the taskbar at the bottom or having a start menu. What happened to it and why did it never come to be?
Blackomb was to be the succesor of Longhorn. Take in mind that at this time Longhorn was scheduled as a minor release. Eventually Longhorn kind of became Blackomb as Longhorn became a major release with much of the features planned for Blackcomb.

Edit: In 2001 during the internal 'BPR demo' a concept of what Blackcomb should look like was demoed by Steve Guggenheimer. A video of this demo found its way to the internet. This demo was all about merging the Windows & MSN UI together and service integration.
I believe this is the video:

betaluva
Donator

Post by betaluva »

i have watched this video a thousand times, they should have released this thing..
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

Beta2.1Collector

Post by Beta2.1Collector »

Since all of the searches for Blackcomb lead to Windows 7. i think it was Released as Windows 7

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

the end sums it all
MS always has ideas but suck at making them implemented right or on time

all these demos and concepts including Mars, Longhorn,Blackcomb shows it

bckf

Post by bckf »

I explained pretty much everything is publicly known about Blackcomb in previous thread several months ago.
http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... 83#p361083
You'll also find why the posted video is not strictly about Blackcomb.

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

Windows Blackcomb --> Windows Vienna --> Windows Codename ''Seven'' --> Windows 7
My wanted stuff (original media):

Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2000 SP4 (aka SP1a)

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

People think Blackcomb is 7 simply because Blackcomb was suppose to come after Longhorn. Longhorn is Vista, and 7 came (surprise, surprise) after Vista. And IMHO, that's about as much as Blackcomb and 7 are related.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

Yeh, Blackcomb as a concept was pretty much dead by the reset, but that completely ended it. They reset their plans for Windows, and that included Blackcomb.

But as I said, it was almost a non-thing even before then, because it was only ever to be the next major release - Longhorn was originally just to be a stop gap between Whistler and Blackcomb (Whistler and Blackcomb being two mountains in British Colombia, and Longhorn being the name of the bar that sits between them).

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

I have Windows Vienna CD somewhere, I think it's just Windows XP with Vienna mod, but I need to check it.

Archenemy
Permanently Banned

Post by Archenemy »

The reason why people call windows 7 beta windows blackcomb alongside windows vienna is because windows blackcomb was meant to be the successor of windows longhorn and windows 7 is the successor of longhorn.
@Archenemy betaarchive member

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

mkbea1985

Post by mkbea1985 »

Windows for the longest time since Windows 95 has been essentially the same with the UI layout except for features and graphical enhancements. It would have been nice to see something completely different such as the original Blackcomb. I don't count Windows 8 as something different since it still included the same desktop as previous versions. I guess from this point on all future versions of Windows will be the same taskbar at the bottom with the start menu and the icons on the left. I guess if Microsoft decided to completely change the desktop everyone would complain but I don't know why people didn't complain when Windows 95 came out.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

UI-wise, even 95 wasn't extremely super duper revolutionary as people tend to portray it. Windows 3.x before it had a desktop, icons and windows. 95 added a taskbar and upgraded the rest of the shell a bit. The result is merely an updated version of the desktop metaphor, not something completely new nor different from what people used before. And yet, people did complain, because apparently it was too difficult for some to double- or even right-click and use the start menu for quick access.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Nashville

Post by Nashville »

Nashville wrote:I have Windows Vienna CD somewhere, I think it's just Windows XP with Vienna mod, but I need to check it.
EDIT: Just checked, it's just a modded Windows XP SP3, nothing special.