Screenshot of the Castle Discovery Service in "Longhorn"

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Maza

Screenshot of the Castle Discovery Service in "Longhorn"

Post by Maza »

Hello,

Yeah, it's me again... I have another request if any of you would be so kind. Would a member who already has Windows "Longhorn" build 4074 installed be willing to provide a screenshot of the Castle Discovery Service? I had intended to do this myself for the Castle article on the BetaArchive wiki, but I don't have any virtual machine or FTP software configured or installed, and it seems like it wouldn't be worth the time for one screenshot.

You can do this by opening the Services Microsoft Console snap-in. Just type in services.msc in a Run dialog box, press the Enter key, and search for Castle Discovery Service from within the services window.

As per the norm, all credit belongs to you if you allow me to upload the screenshot you took. I will not use your images without permission. Otherwise, you could upload it to the wiki yourself, if you so desire. Please note that in the Castle article, I already have the file named as CastleDiscoveryService.png so if you decide to upload an image to the wiki, please name it as such.

Thank you in advance.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

Emir214

Re: Screenshot of the Castle Discovery Service in "Longhorn"

Post by Emir214 »

Hello Maza,

I uploaded the screenshot on the wiki per your instructions.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Emir214 wrote:Hello Maza,

I uploaded the screenshot on the wiki per your instructions.
Thank you so very much, Emir214.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

I remember that me and LeoaprM95 got castle to work between two 37XX VMs earlier this year, I’ll try and see if I still have the screenshot of it doing its job, I think you would be interested in that :P

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Lukas Marsik wrote:I remember that me and LeoaprM95 got castle to work between two 37XX VMs earlier this year, I’ll try and see if I still have the screenshot of it doing its job, I think you would be interested in that :P
I immediately recalled that as well! Here are the screenshots:
http://longhorn.ms/img/0/castle.png
http://longhorn.ms/img/0/castle2.png
http://longhorn.ms/img/0/castle3.png

The last screenshot shows that the computer is now a member of the Melcher castle. :)

EDIT: found another one. Here's 3718 trying to join the Melcher castle setup with 3706:
http://longhorn.ms/img/0/castle4.png

jimmsta
Donator

Post by jimmsta »

For some reason, I had always thought that the Castle services were just related to the firewall. Now, it's obvious to me that it was the original name for the Homegroup technology included in 7+. I guess it was one of the more broken features in LH, as it wasn't a part of Vista at launch (AFAIK).
16 years of BA experience; I refurbish old electronics, and archive diskettes with a KryoFlux. My posting history is 16 years of educated speculation and autism.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

its always nice to see what they were planning
unfortunately "ahead"

Maza

Post by Maza »

Lukas Marsik wrote:I remember that me and LeoaprM95 got castle to work between two 37XX VMs earlier this year, I’ll try and see if I still have the screenshot of it doing its job, I think you would be interested in that :P
LeoaprM95 wrote:
I immediately recalled that as well! Here are the screenshots:
Thank you very much. What a delightful surprise!
jimmsta wrote:For some reason, I had always thought that the Castle services were just related to the firewall. Now, it's obvious to me that it was the original name for the Homegroup technology included in 7+. I guess it was one of the more broken features in LH, as it wasn't a part of Vista at launch (AFAIK).
HomeGroup is similar to Castle but is not as powerful. HomeGroup, for example, does not replicate account data and settings across multiple machines.
wasabilee wrote:its always nice to see what they were planning
unfortunately "ahead"
In one sense, I feel that the data synchronization features introduced in Windows 8 largely negate the need for the Castle feature. I'd much prefer a more 'local' solution, though.