How about a different approach to access the FTP?

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.

Do you think that access to the FTP should be revamped?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 23

longhornwhistler
Donator

How about a different approach to access the FTP?

Post by longhornwhistler »

Hey guys!
I was on WinWorld and I noticed their FTP page has a (I don't know how to say it....) well I guess look! https://winworldpc.com/library/ I think this might be a good idea for this site (or at least something like it.) Besides they did kind of steal BA's downloads.
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Re: How about a different approach to access the FTP?

Post by wasabilee »

you can't steal something that is free

longhornwhistler
Donator

You are right.
"Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations." - Steve Jobs

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqZBjx ... C1dNISF8ZQ

Maza

Post by Maza »

wasabilee wrote:you can't steal something that is free
BetaArchive doesn't own the content anyway.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

You can call it what you want, but a large number of their files are repackaged from BA. I haven't been to WinWorld in years, but from what I can remember they use an HTTP server, not FTP. I'm certainly no expert in this area, but I can imagine it would be either impossible or at least harder and more time consuming to do this with BA's FTP as it is. Anyway, I think our server is fine as it is. It serves its purpose, and the content is far superior, which is what really matters.
Last edited by marcoguy on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preservation
How could you know where you want to go today if you don't even know where you've been?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We chose the FTP approach for very good reasons, this will not change in the foreseeable future. There's nothing wrong with the approach WinWorld uses, but it doesn't suit our needs (security, monitoring, logging etc.).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

longhornwhistler
Donator

My thought was that we could have a GUI like WinWorld has. I was thinking have a logon page and that user could only access (like now) with an IP lock, and I want you to keep everything else for security. Am I making sense? Also, is this possible?

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

marcoguy wrote:You can call it what you want, but a large number of their files are repackaged from BA.
and you have to face it that in past many files didn't "come" from BA
but also leaked on other places 1st

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

gabegriggs1 wrote:Also, is this possible?
It is of course, entirely possible. And despite suggestions to the contrary, such a system could be vastly more secure and flexible than the current system.

It's also never going to happen. It's a different skill set and a different server setup. BA's system is dictated not by what's best, but by what's doable given the current circumstances. It's not like WinWorldPC's just regurgitated some open source generic stuff - it's all been developed in-house over a reasonable time investment over a period of months. Given the apparent scarcity of time for the administrators on BA at the moment, it's hardly a workable suggestion that they make what would be a more significant investment (because of the complexity that BA policies require). It'd delay other, more immediate and more urgent work that could be done for the community.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Having a HTTP access system for the files would be extremely easy. But it would remove all means of control we have over the files being distributed from our servers.We need certain features such as bandwidth limiting, IP locking, proper upload system (which will still need FTP anyway), user management, resume functionality etc, all of which are difficult at best, and impossible at worst to implement with HTTP. It simply requires too much time to develop with little to none benefits over the current system. Yes, FTP is an ancient protocol that should have been updated (or replaced) with a better system, but unfortunately there are no good alternative ways to handle large file collections over the web. The only system close to being able to handle our needs are a torrent system, but we can't and won't implement that for various reasons (scarce and difficult tracker software, ISP limitations being two). Beyond that there is no other way. If anyone knows a good way of allowing specific users to access a large file collection with our requirements then by all means, let us know.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

longhornwhistler
Donator

I see what you mean. I can research and see if I can find an alternative.