veso266

Windows 1.01 specific programs

Post by veso266 »

Hi I wonder are there any programs been made for Windows 1.01 only

Best Regards

cantasan99

Re: Windows 1.01 specific programs

Post by cantasan99 »

I have seen some stuff in toastytech.com if I remember correctly.

Turkish translator of Wine/Known as ctasan in ReactOS Forum
ReactOS Community Changelogs - Don't miss improvements!

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

Well there are a handful of programs for windows 1.x, but it would be hard to tell if something was made specifically for 1.01 unless it mentioned it in the documentation. You could make an educated guess by the release date of the product, but it still wouldnt be exact. I do have a game in my collection called Balance of Power which shipped with a limited windows 1.01 runtime, so I guess you could say that it was designed for windows 1.01, but thats not to say it wouldnt work on a different 1.x version just fine. My copy should be on the ftp, but i dont believe the copy protection carried over in the IMG files. If you want a working copy theres a modified one at Toastytech.com that fixed the copy protection.
Preservation
How could you know where you want to go today if you don't even know where you've been?

veso266

Post by veso266 »

@marcoguy how old copy protections actualy work?

As I know you can copy everything

mallard

Post by mallard »

Floppy-disk based copy-protection usually worked by having something "wrong" with the disk (such as a sector marked as "bad", but actually containing data that the program won't work without) which won't be copied properly by normal disk copying software (that skips bad sectors, etc.).

Such things are usually fairly easy to defeat by someone with the right skills (e.g. assembly language programming) and wouldn't stand up for long if the modern Internet was around to make access to "cracks" easy at the time (and cracks and cracked versions of software were often available from BBSs back then).

These sorts of things became less common over time as they didn't work with more "advanced" OSs like Windows NT or OS/2 that didn't allow direct access to the hardware by applications. (They relied on being able to directly program the floppy disk controller.)

marcoguy
Donator

Post by marcoguy »

Indeed, couldnt have said it better myself :)
If you have a kryoflux and want to run this game in its original state, the kf stream files I uploaded a while back should be able to be written back to disks just fine. Since the kryoflux reads the raw magnetic data rather than just doing a sector dump, it should defeat any copy protection. I havent ever had to write a copy protected stream file back to the disk, but i would assume it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
Preservation
How could you know where you want to go today if you don't even know where you've been?

ibmpc5150

Post by ibmpc5150 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151454625884?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Wow, Windows 1.0x is appeared on Ebay.

DiskingRound

Post by DiskingRound »

ibmpc5150 wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/151454625884?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The ebay seller admitted it was probably 1.01, which was the first ever public version of windows.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

It's not that rare, I also got a copy of Windows 1.01 on eBay.

Finding The IBM Personal Computer DOS v. 1.00 is much more difficult. And expensive :-)

ibmpc5150

Post by ibmpc5150 »

xelloss wrote:

Finding The IBM Personal Computer DOS v. 1.00 is much more difficult. And expensive :-)
Can you dump it by Teledisk on DOS?
Already uploaded on ftp is Not dumped from original media correctly.
They must be re-dumped on real DOS.
I've sent message as PM to you.

Yes, IBM PC DOS 1.00 is very rare and expensive.
IBM PC DOS 1.00 was already dumped correctly from original medial.
It was already verified.

But Windows 1.01 / 1.02 was Not dumped from original media correctly.
(Only 1.03 and 1.04 were verified!)

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

ibmpc5150 wrote:
xelloss wrote:

Can you dump it by Teledisk on DOS?
Already uploaded on ftp is Not dumped from original media correctly.
They must be re-dumped on real DOS.
Ah. I didn't know the version on ftp was not dumped correctly.
Well in this case I suppose I should dump the disks, which also means I will do it. But it's not going to be fast.

Unfortunately, I'm an Italian who works in France, and my copy of Windows 1.01 is in Italy. So the next time it's going to be in my hands will be around Christmas time.

Secondly, I bought that item for the sake of having a hard copy with original handbooks, the nice looking box, and of course the disks. However I was not that much interested in the contents of the disks, since dumps of Windows 1.01 have been available on the internet for so many years: this means I didn't bother to gain access to a 5.25'' drive. So I don't know for sure that the content of the disks hasn't been tampered with.

This is probably a good time to buy a kryoflux (I do have a system with a 5.25'' drive at home, but it's been improperly stored for about 10 years).

I know this is sounding more and more like trueyanksfan stuff, but not everybody is a full-time vintage computing enthusiast, and I did most of my DOS revival experiments a long time ago :-)
However if you have some patience I will not fail you.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Since you won't have much chance to get access to that box could we ask for a favor when you get access to them? Please do a full scan and all of the box and all books etc? You don't need to scan every page of the manuals if you can't, but at least the front/back of each so we can have a scanned reference of all included documentation. And of course, all sides of the box, and full scans of the floppies. It's a rare chance to get a proper high res dump and scan of the box, contents and floppies...

And if you dump it with a KF, well, then it's golden :).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

mrpijey wrote:Since you won't have much chance to get access to that box could we ask for a favor when you get access to them? Please do a full scan and all of the box and all books etc? You don't need to scan every page of the manuals if you can't, but at least the front/back of each so we can have a scanned reference of all included documentation. And of course, all sides of the box, and full scans of the floppies. It's a rare chance to get a proper high res dump and scan of the box, contents and floppies...

And if you dump it with a KF, well, then it's golden :).
Will do :-)

ibmpc5150

Post by ibmpc5150 »

Wow, Windows 1.01 original release in USA is uploaded.
Thanks.

danooct1
Donator

Post by danooct1 »

ibmpc5150 wrote:Wow, Windows 1.01 original release in USA is uploaded.
Thanks.
you're welcome. I started off with that to test my scanner and dust off my kryoflux, however mrpijey brought to light a few issues with my scanner so I'm getting a new one at his request/recommendation. I've got a lot more software in my collection to image and scan, so hopefully some more of it will be of interest to you and the rest of BA.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

Thanks.
I guess my help with Windows 1.01 is not needed anymore, then?

(My kryoflux is already on the way, but I'm not going to get a 5.25'' drive immediately if it's not needed...)

ibmpc5150

Post by ibmpc5150 »

xelloss wrote:
Thanks.
I guess my help with Windows 1.01 is not needed anymore, then?

(My kryoflux is already on the way, but I'm not going to get a 5.25'' drive immediately if it's not needed...)
Well, you had better try to dump it.

I have dumped disk of Windows 1.03.
I compared it with other users.
But disk 2 is differnt.
Other user's one is original release, but my one is just updated release.

So if you dump it, thanks.