New FTP script now live

Information and news about the website will be posted here.
Andy
Administrator

New FTP script now live

Post by Andy »

Hello all,

The new FTP script is now live.

=====================================================

What's new?

- Private upload folder! - Click the update permissions button to have this added to your account.

- Groups! - In future we will add extra access to those in specific groups.

- Public upload account! - For registered users who do not have FTP access, they will now have access to the public upload area. Just go to the FTP link and you'll find the details there.

=====================================================

I will be developing this script as time goes on to make it look nicer, display more stats, etc.

If you have any questions or feedback, let me know. Anything broken? Also let me know.

Andy (Admin)

computebrute
Donator

Re: New FTP script now live

Post by computebrute »

how do you update permissions? And what do you mean by groups? That donators will get exclusive content?
Last edited by computebrute on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

I suppose I'll appear as a moron right now, but where is this private upload folder supposed to appear in? I don't see it anywhere, even after fixing permissions.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

computebrute wrote:how do you update permissions?
Click the update permissions button
It helps to read and look at the FTP page...

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Wheatley wrote:I suppose I'll appear as a moron right now, but where is this private upload folder supposed to appear in? I don't see it anywhere, even after fixing permissions.
It will appear in the main list as "=> Upload", but only 2 mins after you clicked the button, the same as the password and IP lock.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Oh alright, there it is. I guess I'm not patient enough sometimes :P
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

I have some more questions at the top, if you didn't already see them.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

computebrute wrote:how do you update permissions? And what do you mean by groups? That donators will get exclusive content?
No, donators will not get exclusive content, VIP will. And the new groups allows us to implement VIP groups (or any other if wanted).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

What's with all the ZIP files in the [Help] folder? It looks like an upload folder but it's probably supposed to be something else, right?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=26086

...you're discovering this only now? We've had that since 2012...

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

ehehe... I never bothered to look into that folder before, thinking it contains some info on how to upload stuff, or something....
Sorry :)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Another (probably stupid) question: How are we supposed to mark completed uploads in out private upload folder? Do we still put a "COMPLETE" directory in it? or do you scan them regularily? Or should we make subdirs for each "batch" of uploads to mark them as complete independent from each other?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yes, it's still good if I get a note somehow that an upload completed, so do please add a COMPLETED folder or something. But it doesn't really matter, since the upload folders are now private you can mark the uploads as you with. You can either put an upload date, add a COMPLETED, whatever. I do a mass dump of all member folders before I process it anyway. And I delete any uploads I've downloaded, so if they disappear from your upload folder then you'll know I've grabbed them.

Also, don't double post, edit your previous one instead if you're the one that replied last...

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

Why should a VIP member get something the others don't? Isn't that a little bit unfair?

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

computebrute wrote:Why should a VIP member get something the others don't? Isn't that a little bit unfair?
Well, for one, if I remember correctly, it has been said many times that VIP members would get access to files before they are available, and would also get access to unverified releases (including unverified and controversial pre-release builds), which by itself would give the site far more help in running the FTP server, so I don't think that that is at all unfair. If anything, it is more fair since it gives people more access to exclusive site functions.

Second, even FTP access is closed to an extent, since you still have to gain access by contributing, so it's not like it's available to every last person either.

Finally, the new VIP section is intended for people who are considered to be especially serious contributors to the site, and to provide extra functions for those people who have worked so hard to contribute in the first place. I would say that mrpijey has explained this many times in the past, so if anything, the answer is already quite obvious. Since the VIP section will provide benefits for its members (as I already explained above), it will be a great addition to the site in my opinion.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

I thought we are all equal?

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

computebrute wrote:I thought we are all equal?
If we are all "equal" as you say, then why would this site have different groups with different areas and different functions? Those groups were clearly put in place for a reason - the whole point is that the more that you contribute to the site, the more that you receive in return.

James

Post by James »

computebrute wrote:I thought we are all equal?
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
- George Orwell, Animal Farm

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

I know this may be posted elsewhere, but I haven't the time to search 8 year old posts. How exactly DO we get VIP? Lots of uploads, contributing posts, etc?
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

yourepicfailure wrote:I know this may be posted elsewhere, but I haven't the time to search 8 year old posts. How exactly DO we get VIP? Lots of uploads, contributing posts, etc?
It is invite only as can be seen here:
This group is for VIP members. This group is invite only so please don't ask to join. It is reserved for members who we feel are an outstanding contributor.
This is a closed group, new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

I'm pretty sure it will be next to impossible getting VIP.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

Not really. Just contribute. It isn't hard.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Yes, contribute in all forms. You won't get into VIP even if you dumped another 10TB betas on us if you don't contribute in other ways. Such as positive attitude, dedication to software preservation, attention to detail and quality, good sportsmanship etc, then we will notice you as being a true member of the community and then you may have a shot at it. We want the people that give the most to the community, that's all. It's not a friends-only club, it's not an internal trading club. It's just a group of people that excel beyond the normal when it comes to all aspects of the community.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

I think I could have a pretty good shot at it. Let's just see what happens.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

mrpijey wrote:Yes, contribute in all forms.
Offtopic Comment
So this also includes the wiki? I have the time to fill what's missing in the wiki, and I already did somewhat.
Last edited by ovctvct on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.