Full Aero on LH 4074?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
yourepicfailure
Donator

Full Aero on LH 4074?

Post by yourepicfailure »

I've managed to get longhorn to have partial Aero/glass: Taskbar Glass.
Unfortunatly, every time I try to use AlphaAddict's DWM Controller to enable Glass, no windows appear. I've told it to enable DWM, but get a load of this:
I've also tried the uxdesk.dll dwm start, but I lose all themes, and nothing works. Any Suggestions?
FYI by partial Aero, I mean this:
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ovctvct

Re: Full Aero on LH 4074?

Post by ovctvct »

yourepicfailure wrote:I've managed to get longhorn to have partial Aero/glass: Taskbar Glass.
Unfortunatly, every time I try to use AlphaAddict's DWM Controller to enable Glass, no windows appear. I've told it to enable DWM, but get a load of this:
I've also tried the uxdesk.dll dwm start, but I lose all themes, and nothing works. Any Suggestions?
FYI by partial Aero, I mean this:
Go to http://longhorn.ms/articles/aero.php

yourepicfailure
Donator

the sbctl command just makes everything disappear and then I lose all theming and longhorn '08 sidebar styles.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

yourepicfailure wrote:the sbctl command just makes everything disappear and then I lose all theming and longhorn '08 sidebar styles.
Use VMware 7.1.4, anything else doesn't work.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

youll get easier dwm on 4066 than on this broken thing

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

wasabilee wrote:youll get easier dwm on 4066 than on this broken thing
4066 is far worse than 4074 in terms of stability.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

worked better for me
+ its not so picky with gpu drivers

hounsell

Post by hounsell »

ovctvct wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:the sbctl command just makes everything disappear and then I lose all theming and longhorn '08 sidebar styles.
Use VMware 7.1.4, anything else doesn't work.
I've been able to get it working right up to VMWare 9.0, but I have been having issues in 10+ where the theme service bugs out trying to enable DWM.

yourepicfailure
Donator

wasabilee wrote:youll get easier dwm on 4066 than on this broken thing
I do indeed love waiting ~10-20 min to start up, 10 for the start menu to become usable and another 5 for each explorer window to work. Sure it's less picky (because it barely has aero) but I'd rather do a little more work for a stable and usable OS than an easy, less, way less, stable os.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

yourepicfailure wrote: Sure it's less picky (because it barely has aero) but I'd rather do a little more work for a stable and usable OS than an easy, less, way less, stable os.
what the heck are you talking about ?
it uses full DWM as 4074
you just need reg tweak to have extended glass enabled onto explorer

+lets not get into debate of stable when them both are fubar

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher »

Try following the steps here.

(P.S. I've always found launching the DWM buggy using the DWM Controls tool - I would recommend always using the command instead. The method given in the tutorial I've linked to has always worked for me when followed 100%.)
Creator of Windows On Windows, the YouTube channel looking at the history and development of Microsoft Windows.

The Windows On Windows Discord server is dedicated to discussing the Windows family of OSes.

mrcobra92

Post by mrcobra92 »

You will need to install it on 7.1.4 from scratch. Then you will need to install the hounsell 6.5 driver pack for the SVGA drivers. You will then need to either get the custom theme, or use the longhorn patch v2 to enable the glass bar with the DWM controls. You will then need to create a BAT file that has these lines.
c:/window/i386/sbctl.exe start
c:/window/i386/sbctl.exe stop
c:/window/i386/sbctl.exe start
Then once that is done. Run the BAT file and then in DWM controls, click on "enable glassbar" then click "restart explorer" and you should be good to go.

yourepicfailure
Donator

I installed 4074 from scratch. Installed Hounsell's drivers. Then I installed Longhorn '08. Still nothing but the Glass taskbar.

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher »

yourepicfailure wrote:I installed 4074 from scratch. Installed Hounsell's drivers. Then I installed Longhorn '08. Still nothing but the Glass taskbar.
Did you follow the exact steps in the link I posted? If so then this is the first time I know of for that procedure not to work.
Creator of Windows On Windows, the YouTube channel looking at the history and development of Microsoft Windows.

The Windows On Windows Discord server is dedicated to discussing the Windows family of OSes.

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Post by WindowsNeptune »

You should visit www.longhorn.ms
An article called "Aero done right" in it completely and clearly shows how should you enable DWM in 4074.

yourepicfailure
Donator

IT WORKS IT WORKS!!!!
I managed to get FULL DWM & AERO!!!! I even get the awesome "Flipping" action with Windows!
A little laggy and sketchy, but well worth it! Turn out that Windows wasn't configured properly, and I found that out after trying out a combination of the recommendations put out. Thanks!!

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher »

Congrats. :) Just curious...how did you get it working in the end?

Edit: Ah, right. Well...enjoy!

mrcobra92

Post by mrcobra92 »

Well done! (Though I still don't get why 4074 works perfectly in VMware, though 4039 DWM will not with the same drivers and VMware version)

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

thats why its always better to do it on real hardware (if you have one from 04-05)
I did all builds with DWM (+3718 DCE) on PC and all worked while vmachines failed miserably

not to tell how experience is "more real" on real HW

mrcobra92

Post by mrcobra92 »

wasabilee wrote:thats why its always better to do it on real hardware (if you have one from 04-05)
I did all builds with DWM (+3718 DCE) on PC and all worked while vmachines failed miserably

not to tell how experience is "more real" on real HW
Yeah, they all work fine on my Longhorn Machine, though I can only get 4074, and 5048 DWM working in VMWare.

yourepicfailure
Donator

I believe to activate 4039 's glass, you must do something like ctrl-shift-f9 after you put in the patched desksrv.dll and excecute sbctl start. Apparently not many people know you have type that in to excecute glass.

mrcobra92

Post by mrcobra92 »

yourepicfailure wrote:I believe to activate 4039 's glass, you must do something like ctrl-shift-f9 after you put in the patched desksrv.dll and excecute sbctl start. Apparently not many people know you have type that in to excecute glass.
That did not seam to do anything. I didn't need to do that on my real hardware. Does anyone just have a VMware image of 4039 with glass working?

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

ctrl+shift+f9 is for 4066

WindowsNeptune
Donator

Post by WindowsNeptune »

wasabilee wrote:ctrl+shift+f9 is for 4066
In VMWare 7.1.4 after I pressed he keys nothing occoured but a black screen. Maybe the DWM would work only on real hardware. :(

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

WindowsNeptune wrote:
wasabilee wrote:ctrl+shift+f9 is for 4066
In VMWare 7.1.4 after I pressed he keys nothing occoured but a black screen. Maybe the DWM would work only on real hardware. :(
No, if you use the proper drivers.