Is there a Start Screen in Windows 8 7850?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ovctvct

Is there a Start Screen in Windows 8 7850?

Post by ovctvct »

There's a lot of prove that there's a start screen here, but I tried to unlock it and failed:
In the RTM, the "Enabled" key is set to 1, so I set it to 1 in 7850 too, but had no effect...
Apparently, Start Screen is in twinui.dll.
I also managed to activate and de-timebomb it in hope it will unlock the Start Screen using a program found on a torrent(don't ask for the link).
So how can I enable it?

Wheatley
Donator

Re: Is there a Start Screen in Windows 8 7850?

Post by Wheatley »

You can't.
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

The Distractor

Post by The Distractor »

We don't have shsxs.dll for anything before 8102 (WDP).

There might be a start screen, but this early it was all implemented in shsxs.dll.

Eggs6131

Post by Eggs6131 »

Probably not - with the screen being so early in development it won't have been in any of the builds.

By the way, I know I can't ask for a link but can you tell me the name of the program you used to de-timebomb this build?
... what are you looking at?

viper
Donator

Post by viper »

Ooops I was thinking start menu, not start page when you asked about start screen.
Disregard my yes vote...

Edit: Vote changed, thanks for the tip rhobariii
Last edited by viper on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rhobariii
Donator

Post by rhobariii »

viper wrote:Ooops I was thinking start menu, not start page when you asked about start screen.
Disregard my yes vote...
You can change it...

ggpm

Post by ggpm »

Again and again, if this build has it(which probably yes), it was optional for Microsoft Testers(which had to access a Microsoft server to install it) because it was on early stages of development and the major part of the Start Page and other Modern UI stuff, was on SHSXS.DLL at this point, which never leaked. and without it you can't force it because on early build's like this twinui.dll is not the "all" Modern UI, in fact is not too much but already something even more recente builds like 7989 don't have it fully. Internet rumors point that Modern UI started to be available at 802x in the winmain branch. But these are just rumors. You can try to see what twinui.dll already contained at this point but the chances of getting something more than what was found are really low.

esc1010

Post by esc1010 »

I highly doubt it, UI doesn't change much during the early Alphas

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

if there are missing components, you can't claim anything for sure alpha or not
see how win7 had early taskbar changed

esc1010

Post by esc1010 »

wasabilee wrote:if there are missing components, you can't claim anything for sure alpha or not
The taskbar in Windows 7 isn't that big of a change.

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

you must be joking

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

esc1010 wrote:
wasabilee wrote:if there are missing components, you can't claim anything for sure alpha or not
The taskbar in Windows 7 isn't that big of a change.
Just compare Vista and 7 rtm taskbars. Quite a change, no?
Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

wasabilee
Permanently Banned

Post by wasabilee »

don't mind rtm, the M2 (6608) already had big change + new shell for file manager

ggpm

Post by ggpm »

It doesn't mean that it doesn't have Start Screen just because it's an early build (but not so early as that), you just don't see it because it is being built and it's not finished yet and more you don't have access to files that unlock it, I'm pretty sure that at this point of development the Start Screen even with the proper files to unlock it won't show up, because it's being built at this point, but the Modern UI API (very protoptical) is already there. In later builds like final M2 builds it may show up with the proper files, but as Microsoft wanted to make this a confidential thing, you needed to access their private servers to get something if you were a tester or a Microsoft Employee back then.

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

Eggs6131 wrote:Probably not - with the screen being so early in development it won't have been in any of the builds.

By the way, I know I can't ask for a link but can you tell me the name of the program you used to de-timebomb this build?
'Windows 8 7850 KMS activator and Timebomb remover v 0.9.4.'

Bl175kr136

Post by Bl175kr136 »

I think not, metro was "released" near to the consumer preview, maybe some resources on a dll, but not

rafaelgs

Post by rafaelgs »

Timebomb is broken in 7850, so you can install this build without changing the BIOS date.
Anyway, is there any way to port the explorer.exe from 7850 to Windows 7 (7600/7601) in order to get the usertile working on Windows 7?
     //We are Amanda~
     using Amanda.Carolina;

ovctvct

Post by ovctvct »

rafaelgs wrote:Timebomb is broken in 7850, so you can install this build without changing the BIOS date.
Anyway, is there any way to port the explorer.exe from 7850 to Windows 7 (7600/7601) in order to get the usertile working on Windows 7?
No, the usertitle is in twinui.dll, so you must port twinui.dll for usertitle to work, which can't be done.

Wheatley
Donator

Post by Wheatley »

It most likely CAN be done. The question is how much effort are you willing to put into it.