Would Windows 95 work under FreeDos?

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
alcid34

Would Windows 95 work under FreeDos?

Post by alcid34 »

So I have DOS 7.10 from another site, but I've heard this is created by some chinese group named the "China DOS Group". Would FreeDOS Work in order to install Windows 95?
Pokemon Master Timothy, the greatest Pokemon Brainiac since Ash Ketchum, at your service. I'm also a beginner programmer and Windows Lover!

trifle

Re: Would Windows 95 work under FreeDos?

Post by trifle »

I don't know, but Wikipedia says:
Windows 95 integrated Microsoft's formerly separate MS-DOS and Windows products
IOW, you don't need DOS at all. Just install Windows 95.

:o

WinPC

Post by WinPC »

Windows 95 and Windows 98 can be installed from another version of DOS from another company (such as DR-DOS, Novell DOS 7, and Caldera OpenDOS), and the same is likely true of FreeDOS. However, not only will the existing operating system be replaced by Windows 95, but if you are upgrading from DR-DOS, then the "Previous version of MS-DOS" option is not available in the Startup Menu. I'm not sure about FreeDOS, but I would assume that it was the same way with that also.

If all that you want to do is to install Windows, then any DOS boot disk should work as long as it can create, detect, and format disk partitions that exceed the 32 MB limit of earlier operating systems. However, if you want to be able to boot back into FreeDOS once you are finished, then I would create a FreeDOS boot disk (if you haven't already done so) before installing Windows 95 or Windows 98.

fuccboi

Post by fuccboi »

It does work.

mallard

Post by mallard »

The other interpretation of the question is something like "If I replace Windows 95's DOS (IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM, etc.) with the FreeDOS equivalents, will Windows 95's GUI still run?"

The answer to that is probably "no"...