Longhorn's OOBE

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Melcher
Donator

Longhorn's OOBE

Post by Melcher »

Hey all!

Today I've been working on an article about Longhorn's OOBE. I have only seen the OOBE myself in builds 4001 and 4008.
I'd like to hear from you if you have seen in the OOBe in other builds too :)

Check the article here: http://longhorn.us.to/articles/oobe.html

FlyGuy

Re: Longhorn's OOBE

Post by FlyGuy »

Unfortunately all the Longhorn builds I have used have been modified and use a custom install. Someday I look forward to being able to experience the OOBE.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

FlyGuy wrote:Unfortunately all the Longhorn builds I have used have been modified and use a custom install.
Custom install? If you're meaning the WIM setup (you do the partitioning and stuff in GUI), that's pretty original.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher »

I remember the 4008 OOBE when recording the video for my YouTube series, but I accidentally skipped it (thought it had crashed; turns out it was an issue with the mouse pointer integration) so it didn't make it to the video. I don't remember seeing any OOBEs in any of the other builds I've looked at so far (3683, 3718, 4015), but if you're interested then follow the series (new episode every 14 days) as I'm sure there will be more OOBEs coming up. :)
Creator of Windows On Windows, the YouTube channel looking at the history and development of Microsoft Windows.

The Windows On Windows Discord server is dedicated to discussing the Windows family of OSes.

Daniel Pereira
Donator

Post by Daniel Pereira »

Nice article!
Also, to answer the question: from the builds that I had opportunity (and time) to install and test in VMs, I have only seen OOBEs in 3683, 3718 (XP-style though) and 4001. I have also installed 4008, but, different than what you said in your article, I haven't seen any OOBE in them... Besides that builds, I have also tried 4015 and 4029.
Formely known as DualUser

Melcher
Donator

Post by Melcher »

Skywatcher wrote:I remember the 4008 OOBE when recording the video for my YouTube series, but I accidentally skipped it (thought it had crashed; turns out it was an issue with the mouse pointer integration) so it didn't make it to the video. I don't remember seeing any OOBEs in any of the other builds I've looked at so far (3683, 3718, 4015), but if you're interested then follow the series (new episode every 14 days) as I'm sure there will be more OOBEs coming up. :)
As earlier said, the Milestone 3 build all still have the XP-style oobe, so just have seen them. Looks like 4001 and 4008 are the only ones to have the new oobe working correctly. I myself have all leaked longhorn builds installed and can assure you, you won't see alot more oobe. It's strange, but at a certain point the oobe was just abandoned (it looks like) as even Milestone 7 builds still have the old blue oobe. Probably the oobe not showing up has something to do with the buggy second stage in most longhorn builds.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

4011 was the last I think i saw the OOBE in, though you clicked next and you did get logged on without going to the account creation page, not sure if 4015 shares the same behavior

Daniel Pereira
Donator

Post by Daniel Pereira »

Lukas Marsik wrote:4011 was the last I think i saw the OOBE in, though you clicked next and you did get logged on without going to the account creation page, not sure if 4015 shares the same behavior
Yes, 4015 somehow acts like that, but actually I don't recall seeing any reference to OOBE after installing it....
Formely known as DualUser