Do you use Metro?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
FlyGuy

Do you use Metro?

Post by FlyGuy »

Hey,
I have been using Windows 8 since it was released in 2012. I have found myself never using the metro interface or any Windows Store apps. I was wondering if anyone here has accustom themselves to using metro or Windows Apps now that we have had time to get used to it. I personally only use it to connect to wifi, shutdown/restart/sleep and Asphalt 8. I also think it is impractical to use both on a daily basis. Does anyone use both metro and the desktop for tasks aside from connecting to wifi and shutdowning/restarting/sleeping?

pizzaboy192

Re: Do you use Metro?

Post by pizzaboy192 »

I personally use the Metro environment for a large portion of the system apps and having them snapped to the side of my normal desktop. Mail, calendar, etc all work very well in this configuration and operate as expected, allowing me to have some information while also doing work.

I do use the desktop quite a bit though. Outlook is my primary email\organization application, Firefox is my browser, etc.

I feel I'll end up using it more when more apps become universal between Windows Phone and Windows, as I'll be syncing data between my phone and my PC, and having the same app in multiple places.

notsure

Post by notsure »

I really only use the Metro Mail app. Besides that, I use the classic desktop environment.

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

notsure wrote:I really only use the Metro Mail app. Besides that, I use the classic desktop environment.
I use the mail app just so it will show me how many messages I have on my lock screen. Although when I check mail I just go to Chrome.
pizzaboy192 wrote:I personally use the Metro environment for a large portion of the system apps and having them snapped to the side of my normal desktop. Mail, calendar, etc all work very well in this configuration and operate as expected, allowing me to have some information while also doing work.

I do use the desktop quite a bit though. Outlook is my primary email\organization application, Firefox is my browser, etc.

I feel I'll end up using it more when more apps become universal between Windows Phone and Windows, as I'll be syncing data between my phone and my PC, and having the same app in multiple places.
I never considered the part about the universal apps between phone and computer. That would make a lot of sense though and would probably become a positive push for me to start using metro.

Bakuchris

Post by Bakuchris »

I also don't use any of the metro applications, as most of the programs I needed were software that I had to install. but then again I've stopped using Windows 8 recently.

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

lol... no. never. I didn't like it on the beta, and don't see the point now. It's an "OK" ui for a phone, but windows phone has so many issues that the UI is only a small part of it's massive failure.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

louisw3 wrote:lol... no. never. I didn't like it on the beta, and don't see the point now. It's an "OK" ui for a phone, but windows phone has so many issues that the UI is only a small part of it's massive failure.
Yeah, while the Windows phone is decent I am going to end up ditching it. Even if it means I disconnect myself from Microsoft's "ecosystem". While universal apps are neat there are other things about Windows phone that I don't like.

lolman555PL
Location: The forgotten country called Poland, somewhere in the Europe.

Post by lolman555PL »

I like Metro, and i use it. I like the Music app, and the Games app. Also, when i'm bored, i download some free games from Windows Store. I love Asphalt 8, and it supports Xbox 360 controller! And i love Windows 8(.1), because in my case i don't need to care about drivers, it installs and updates them automatically!
From all of Windows users, there is 0.000001% that love new Modern UI. It's me.
If i helped you, please, make a small Dogecoin donation for me, please : DJt4w23Wo1SQjBKZnT1YsuN34oazhZoUyX

Windows_OS_X_Wheezy

Post by Windows_OS_X_Wheezy »

Yup. Love it. Have a Nokia Lumia and a Windows 8 PC. Love the UI on both. But I would have preferred it if Nokia stayed with Meego or Symbian...

Marcello
Donator

Post by Marcello »

On the rare occasion I do use windows, I'll use metro, although that only goes as far as using the Start screen; I don't really use any Metro apps.

When I first got Windows 8.1 I used the Xbox music player, pinned to the side of the desktop, however, I grew quite frustrated with some aspects the bloody thing and gave up on it.

Personally, Fullscreen isn't my thing, even in OSX, I rarely bring an app up to fullscreen unless I'm working on something in Logic Pro on my laptop and need all the screen real estate I can get.

That said, for whatever reason, I have no issue whatsoever with the Start Screen. The front page is much more organize-able than the Start menu, although the All Apps part can get hella cluttered when programs install a bunch of shortcuts to web pages and uninstallers.

MSStyler

Post by MSStyler »

no more than this

Skywatcher

Post by Skywatcher »

I try to avoid it as much as possible on my desktop PC. Obviously I use it on my Surface Pro. Although I do have StartIsBack installed across all of my devices, including the Surface Pro.
Creator of Windows On Windows, the YouTube channel looking at the history and development of Microsoft Windows.

The Windows On Windows Discord server is dedicated to discussing the Windows family of OSes.

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

louisw3 wrote:windows phone has so many issues that the UI is only a small part of it's massive failure.
Windows Phone 8.1 is shaping out to be very good in my opinion. I don't see any problems with the phone OS, or the UI. Apart from syncing all my contacts and other information without my consent and without any option to turn it off.

On my laptop I don't use Metro, I've made it start to desktop, and most of the software I use is on desktop, or quicklaunch. Occasionally I do need to go to start screen if I need some program I don't have a shortcut to, but I never use any apps.

Main problem I have with Windows 8 is the fact that I linked it to my account. I liked the idea at first, but I don't particularily want my username to be my full name. And I don't want to have to input a pin/password on start up, I don't need a lock screen, since I never take this PC out of the house.

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

john11 wrote:
louisw3 wrote:windows phone has so many issues that the UI is only a small part of it's massive failure.
Windows Phone 8.1 is shaping out to be very good in my opinion. I don't see any problems with the phone OS, or the UI. Apart from syncing all my contacts and other information without my consent and without any option to turn it off.

On my laptop I don't use Metro, I've made it start to desktop, and most of the software I use is on desktop, or quicklaunch. Occasionally I do need to go to start screen if I need some program I don't have a shortcut to, but I never use any apps.

Main problem I have with Windows 8 is the fact that I linked it to my account. I liked the idea at first, but I don't particularily want my username to be my full name. And I don't want to have to input a pin/password on start up, I don't need a lock screen, since I never take this PC out of the house.
You can create a local account for Windows that is not linked to your MS account go to the metro settings then the account tab and under "Your Account" you should be able to switch it to a local account.

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

Marcello wrote:On the rare occasion I do use windows, I'll use metro, although that only goes as far as using the Start screen; I don't really use any Metro apps.

When I first got Windows 8.1 I used the Xbox music player, pinned to the side of the desktop, however, I grew quite frustrated with some aspects the bloody thing and gave up on it.

Personally, Fullscreen isn't my thing, even in OSX, I rarely bring an app up to fullscreen unless I'm working on something in Logic Pro on my laptop and need all the screen real estate I can get.

That said, for whatever reason, I have no issue whatsoever with the Start Screen. The front page is much more organize-able than the Start menu, although the All Apps part can get hella cluttered when programs install a bunch of shortcuts to web pages and uninstallers.
I agree, they need a way to make folders collapsible or something so you don't get those extra useless items that are put in the start menu along with the main application.

john11
Donator

Post by john11 »

FlyGuy wrote: You can create a local account for Windows that is not linked to your MS account go to the metro settings then the account tab and under "Your Account" you should be able to switch it to a local account.
Yeah, I know that, but then it will no longer be linked, which is what I originally wanted. I might end up unlinking anyway, since I don't really use Metro apps. Also, I know others who have local accounts, and when they use apps, like the Mail app, they often get popups from MS to link the account, which is annoying. Also, when updating to Windows 8.1, they had to disconnect from the internet in order to create a local account, and the only way to find that out was to do some research. There was no option for it when connected to the internet. Clearly MS is planning on eventually moving the OS to the cloud, and is preparing people for that, kind of sad in my opinion.

ryanch94

Post by ryanch94 »

I have it hidden as much as possible except the start button links straight to the all apps menu instead of the start screen itself.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Well, I do use Metro most of the time, although I do use Pokki. I don't use Pokki very much, however, because it is resource-consuming like crazy.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

john11 wrote:
FlyGuy wrote: You can create a local account for Windows that is not linked to your MS account go to the metro settings then the account tab and under "Your Account" you should be able to switch it to a local account.
Yeah, I know that, but then it will no longer be linked, which is what I originally wanted. I might end up unlinking anyway, since I don't really use Metro apps. Also, I know others who have local accounts, and when they use apps, like the Mail app, they often get popups from MS to link the account, which is annoying. Also, when updating to Windows 8.1, they had to disconnect from the internet in order to create a local account, and the only way to find that out was to do some research. There was no option for it when connected to the internet. Clearly MS is planning on eventually moving the OS to the cloud, and is preparing people for that, kind of sad in my opinion.
Yeah, for some reason it seems that every week my mail app forgets the login info. That is why I don't use it.

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

DJ Deedahx wrote:Well, I do use Metro most of the time, although I do use Pokki. I don't use Pokki very much, however, because it is resource-consuming like crazy.
Judging from your profile picture I assume you use chrome. Do you prefer the metro version or the normal version?

matt95110

Post by matt95110 »

I used Windows 8 since the Developer Preview and I actually like the Metro environment. I also own a Surface RT and a Windows Phone. I don't understand why people are so opposed to it.

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

matt95110 wrote:I used Windows 8 since the Developer Preview and I actually like the Metro environment. I also own a Surface RT and a Windows Phone. I don't understand why people are so opposed to it.
In my case I am not opposed of it I just don't see the use of it in a desktop environment.

matt95110

Post by matt95110 »

FlyGuy wrote:
matt95110 wrote:I used Windows 8 since the Developer Preview and I actually like the Metro environment. I also own a Surface RT and a Windows Phone. I don't understand why people are so opposed to it.
In my case I am not opposed of it I just don't see the use of it in a desktop environment.
As mentioned by someone else in this thread, I too find the snap feature very handy on the desktop. I like being able to keep the Music player off to one side at all times and other apps like Music.

WARBLOOD

Post by WARBLOOD »

I use Start8 Or start is back, forget Metro its useless. My favorite is Start8 its a great program, even though its a small fee.
-WARBLOOD, Old enough to know better, young enough not to care.

FlyGuy

Post by FlyGuy »

WARBLOOD wrote:I use Start8 Or start is back, forget Metro its useless. My favorite is Start8 its a great program, even though its a small fee.
With all do respect, why pay for a start menu when you can get a free one?