[OFFER] Microsoft Baseball 2000

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
98fan

[OFFER] Microsoft Baseball 2000

Post by 98fan »

Microsoft Baseball 2000 ISO has been uploaded to the ftp.

ExplicitNuM5

Re: [OFFER] Microsoft Baseball 2000

Post by ExplicitNuM5 »

Thanks for uploading my image, 98Fan.
XDA-Developers: mr_verystock
Facebook: ___ ___ng
Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

98fan

Post by 98fan »

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:Thanks for uploading my image, 98Fan.
I'm not sure what you mean. I made the ISO from my own CD you can see in the scan.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Hmm, no MDF or high res scan. I will need to re-request this title again if we're going to mark it as a full dump.

Thanks for the ISO anyway, I can use it for verifying any future uploads of this.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

98fan

Post by 98fan »

mrpijey wrote:Hmm, no MDF or high res scan. I will need to re-request this title again if we're going to mark it as a full dump.

Thanks for the ISO anyway, I can use it for verifying any future uploads of this.
I missed the post where you lay out your requirements. Maybe you could point me to it.

=================================================================
EDIT:

The ISO I uploaded to the BA FTP was made by UltraISO. I made a second ISO using ImgBurn and compared the two ISOs with a hex editor, they were identical. I then burned the second ISO to CD-R using Nero 5.5 and then ripped it back to ISO using UltraISO, I compared the ISO image using a hex editor to the first two and once again the ISOs were identical. I then used the CD-R copy to install Microsoft Baseball 2000 to a 98SE box. The game installed and played without a problem.

I am not sure what you wanted a MDF file for. The .mdf/.mds format is useful for copy protected games but Microsoft Baseball 2000 is not copy protected. Maybe you were thinking of Microsoft Baseball 2001 which is protected by SafeDisc. Even then I would have used CloneCD over Alcohol 120%'s .mdf/.mds format.
Last edited by 98fan on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morea

Post by Morea »

I can't find it on the FTP server. Where is that iso file? Please, I need it!

98fan

Post by 98fan »

Morea wrote:I can't find it on the FTP server. Where is that iso file? Please, I need it!
... and you won't find it on the FTP. For those members more interested in playing the game than the picayune I uploaded the second ISO mentioned above along with a higher resolution scan of the CD (300dpi rather than 200dpi) here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?46ztr6duw6lpmdd
https://www.mediafire.com/?t7b155i2xcy63ts
https://www.mediafire.com/?uw5wzzv2bcombpu

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

98fan wrote:
mrpijey wrote:Hmm, no MDF or high res scan. I will need to re-request this title again if we're going to mark it as a full dump.

I missed the post where you lay out your requirements. Maybe you could point me to it.
It's in every post I make. Look at my signature...
98fan wrote:The ISO I uploaded to the BA FTP was made by UltraISO. I made a second ISO using ImgBurn and compared the two ISOs with a hex editor, they were identical. I then burned the second ISO to CD-R using Nero 5.5 and then ripped it back to ISO using UltraISO, I compared the ISO image using a hex editor to the first two and once again the ISOs were identical. I then used the CD-R copy to install Microsoft Baseball 2000 to a 98SE box. The game installed and played without a problem.

I am not sure what you wanted a MDF file for. The .mdf/.mds format is useful for copy protected games but Microsoft Baseball 2000 is not copy protected. Maybe you were thinking of Microsoft Baseball 2001 which is protected by SafeDisc. Even then I would have used CloneCD over Alcohol 120%'s .mdf/.mds format.
CloneCD is accepted as well as long as I get all the data. Subchannel and disc layout info and all. That's why I don't want to use ISO.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

user99672
Donator

Post by user99672 »

I've gone ahead and uploaded an MDF/MDS dump of the game. Hi-res scans to come soon. I've had this game on my desk for a while and have been meaning to upload it but haven't found the time.

ExplicitNuM5

Post by ExplicitNuM5 »

Well, it's still my image. So there's my credit.
XDA-Developers: mr_verystock
Facebook: ___ ___ng
Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

98fan

Post by 98fan »

ExplicitNuM5 wrote:Well, it's still my image. So there's my credit.
Yeah OK, I agree with you, but you haven't found a "pocket of time" since your earlier post on December 8 of 2013 and it is now April 2014. The statute of limitations has run out and it's a free for all.

EDIT:

Don't feel bad ExplicitNuM5, my upload was officially rejected.

I decided to make several CloneCD images of the Microsoft Baseball 2000 using two different computers and four different CD and DVD drives then compare them with a hex editor so see how much they differed.

Lite-On CD-Writer
Lite-On DVD-ROM
LG DVD-ROM
LG DVD-RAM Writer

The first time around copying from the original Baseball 2000 CD, NONE of the CloneCD IMG files were the same. All differed by 2 or more hex values. The IMG file made by the Lite-On DVD ROM was the most disturbing of all, it differed from the others by 10 or 12 hex values, not a reliable copy at all.

Dissatisfied with the result, the next evening I gave it another try. This time I was able to determine which of the drives was the more reliable.

The second time around the CloneCD IMG file made by the LG DVD-RAM drive was identical to the first copy. A good sign.

The 2nd copy made by the Lite-On CD-Writer this time was 100% identical to the copies made by the LG DVD-RAM drive. The day before the IMG file had differed by 2 hex values (at the tail end of the file).

Same for the LG DVD-ROM drive. On the 2nd try the IMG file was identical to the ones made by the LG DVD-RAM drive. First time around the IMG file differed by 2 hex values (at the head end of the file).

Even the Lite-On DVD-ROM gave a better result the second time around. Where it gave the worst result the previous evening, the second time the IMG file was identical to the IMG file made by the LG DVD-RAM drive.

What of the ISO I uploaded?
I burned it to CD-R and and then ripped the CD-R to CloneCD IMG files using each of the four drives.

The result was that all four of the CloneCD IMG files of MS Baseball 2000 made from the CD-R copy of the ISO were identical to each other and identical to the IMG files made by the LG DVD-RAM drive and the original CD. A surprising result when one considers how much the ISO format has been maligned.

The lesson here is that if you expect archival quality on a one-off copy of a CD, even if it is a more sophisticated file format than ISO like .MDF/.MDS or .BIN/.CUE or .NRG or CloneCD's IMG, then think again. Only by making several copies and comparing them digitally do you know whether you have an accurate copy.